2003 1.8T no Spark

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2003 1.8T no Spark

I have a 2003 Passat 1.8T that doesn't start. The fuel pump works, it turns over fine but there is no spark.

I have done some searching and checked the crank speed sensor, cam sensor, connectors and all the fuses. I think I am down to the ECU. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I bought the car in non-running condition with no history. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Overdrive
    How did you come to no spark, just wondering.

Neutral
    I did it the old fashioned way, removed one spark plug and attached the coil pack, turned the engine with the starter while someone checked for spark...nothing.

4th Gear
    Did you try scanning the car with a VAG-COM? If you can communicate with the ECU, then I doubt it's bad.

Neutral
    My friend has my VAG-COM cable and he is 2 hours away. I used an Actron scanner but there were no codes stored. I will try to get my VAGCOM over the next few days. I guess regardless of scanner type, the fact that there was communication with the ECU should indicate a working ECU...correct?

4th Gear
    I recently replaced the speed(crank) sensor on my 03 1.8T because of the same problem. Make sure of the problem before getting yourself another ECU.

Neutral
    Did your crank speed sensor fail the resistance test in the manual, or did it test good but was bad anyway?

4th Gear
    Mine was on and off kinda problem, starts fine one day then no spark the next. Luckily mine threw a code so it was easier fix for me.

Neutral
    Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for your response. I changed the crank speed sensor yesterday but it still doesn't start. My sensor was in bad shape with some of the plastic missing so now I am thinking there could be some internal damage. There was also some metal filings stuck on the sensor's magnet.

I got a good deal on an ECU so that will be next. Thanks again for everyone's help. I will report what I eventually find.

Mark

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by IriePassat View Post
    I did it the old fashioned way, removed one spark plug and attached the coil pack, turned the engine with the starter while someone checked for spark...nothing.

Not to state the obvious, but you did ground it?
    It will not spark unless grounded.
    Holding a coilpack attached to a plug in middair=nothing.

Neutral
    I did ground the spark plug. Although it sounds obvious, I am sure someone has done it before. Thanks for the input.

Overdrive
    I would Vag it to make sure you are getting input from the other engine sensors.

Neutral
    My friend is sending back my VAGCOM cable in the mail today. I should have it by Monday, I also have an ECU on the way.

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information