Steering wheel wobble at low speeds
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Steering wheel wobble at low speeds

My father's 2001 v6 (4-motion) passat wobbles the steering wheel back and forth when driving at very slow speeds <10mph. If you let go of the wheel, it will rock back and forth about an inch, and slowly steer itself to the right. At higher speeds it becomes felt as a vibration in the steering wheel.

So far I have checked the suspension parts for looseness just by trying to move them with my hands. Everything seems okay to me. I jacked up both front wheels and checked for play side-to-side and up-and-down, again they seemed solid. I took off both front wheels and checked the drive shafts. Boots are in good condition but I did notice that you can rotate the outboard joint/hub/disc about 1/4 inch with the drive shaft held in place with locking pliers. I thought cv joints where not supposed to have any play in them at all? Could this be the cause of the problem? The car only has 25k miles...it's hard to believe both outboard cv joints have worn out internally. My other suspect is tie-rod ends, what is the best way to check those out?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PZ
    Redline
    You have a bent wheel or a bad tire. The disc is held in place by the lugs, so without them, you can rotate it. I doubt your problem is CV or axle related.

Neutral
    I rotated the tires (fronts to back and backs to front) and there was no change whatsoever...the steering wheel continues to pulse back and forth in exactly the same manner. I can't see the tires/rims being the problem..there should have been some change occuring. Thanks anyway..it was worth a try.

4th Gear
    Does it do it when you break at low speeds? Cause that could be a rotor.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson13f View Post
    Does it do it when you break at low speeds? Cause that could be a rotor.
    Yup...could be a warped rotor.

Try putting on a different set of wheels (if you have any). That's a quick way to see if that will affect the vibration. Your back wheels can have dents too. They usually are not visible to the eye.

Neutral
    Applying the brakes makes no difference..it still wobbles the steering. Unfortunately I have no other set of wheels to try. Thanks for the recommendations.

4th Gear
    How are the tie rod ends? Lock the steering wheel and grab the tire on the sides. Try to move it side to side as if you are steering. It should not move at all. You may need to jack it up to do this if you are not really strong.

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBlatz View Post
    I rotated the tires (fronts to back and backs to front) and there was no change whatsoever...the steering wheel continues to pulse back and forth in exactly the same manner. I can't see the tires/rims being the problem..there should have been some change occuring. Thanks anyway..it was worth a try.
    You could have 2 or more bent wheels. I have seen it happen (to 15" steelies). If the wheels/tires and brakes are ruled out. Start checking the tie rod ends and control arms. CV joints should not make the wheel rock at low speeds, but can make it vibrate at higher speeds.

Neutral
    I have also had this happen to me before with high mileage tires. No obvious defects etc....... but when I changed the tires out the problem went away. If all 4 tires are same vintage / milage try your full size spare and see if it changes.

Punches Dubs. True Story
    Blog Entries
    Hell, I'd pay the $40 or whatever for my local tire shop to rotate and spin balance the tires. Based on the low speed wobble, I'd still be looking at a wheel that's out of round ...which would be identified by a balance.

6th Grade
    Tire is most likely. CV joints and suspension components are way, way, way down the list. Few tires are actually round, and on cars with one out of round tire in a matched set of four, they're usually all unroundish.

Neutral
    Well the problem did turn out to be a tire. Had each tire put on a wheel balancer and one tire had a belt let go. Funny how rotating tires front to rear did not change the problem symptoms..that threw me off the trail for a while. In the future I'll try using the spare tire or a known good tire to help identify wheel/tire problems.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions.

PZ
    Redline
    Glad you got it fixed.

Banned
    x

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information