03 Passat misfire on cylinder 3 (BAD DAY)
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

03 Passat misfire on cylinder 3 (BAD DAY)

Okay so here's the deal. I started the day off finding out I have to have a 6-9 hour operation on the bones underneath my brain and hearing nerve. Then after about 10 minutes while driving home my MIL light came on then, after about 3 minutes it started blinking. I stop by Autozone they took the scanner to it, to find out cylinder 3 is misfiring along with a multi misfire code. So I towed the car home (thanks to my friend with a flat bed) and changed the spark plugs, took the coils down to Autozone and had them tested everything looked good! I don't no if the car has a IMC or not please let me know. Anybody have any clue whats going on. I use 93oct Chevron gas all the time, I have a DV, APR chip, exhaust thats it. Please help my wife will need the car while I recover from surgery because we need to sell our other car to pay for hospital bills and time lost from work....

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Hmm... I had the same problem with misfires after I got mine APR tuned.. My problem turned out to be the ignition coils.. I had the plugs and coils replaced, now it seems to run smooth. How did they "test" your coils? Might wanna make sure you have the latest version of the coils. Anyway good luck.

Banned
    Which engine do you have? If you have an AEB engine, the ignition controller mounted to the top of the airbox is probably burned out. If you don't have an AEB engine, then you gotta buy a new coil pack and swap it in place of the one on Cylinder 3 (second from the back).

1st Gear
    Before I would buy a new one, I would swap the coil packs around to see if the misfire follows the suspected bad one? Then you can be pretty certain that is what the problem is. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

What I mentioned above was suggested to me when I was encountering a multiple misfire code and it worked for me to confirm it was a bad coil pack.

Thank you
    Tom

Founder of the STFA
    Switching the coil packs and re-reading codes would be a good extra step, but since you towed it home and the scan tool is back at Autozone, I'd just get a new coil pack from a VW or Audi dealer for $25-35 and replace the coil pack in cylinder 3, third from the front, easy switch. I'd say 99.5% sure it's the problem. Good luck!

Neutral
    had similar problem on 2003 1.8T AWM at 49000 miles. Engine started running very rough, and CEL started blinking. Towed to dealer, who replaced coil packs under warranty. Found out that coil packs used in that time frame were not of highest quality. Have bought spare coil packs since then from ECS Tuning (but I've heard Autozone and Advance also have them).
    You may have multiple failures of coil packs.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ds03passat View Post
    Okay so here's the deal. I started the day off finding out I have to have a 6-9 hour operation on the bones underneath my brain and hearing nerve.
    Wow. I hope that turns out okay... kinda makes car problems seem insignificant.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Check the "L" hose that plugs into the intake manifold opposite the runner to cylinder 3. I'll bet you'll find a split in the inside of the "elbow" in this line. There is a replacement version of this hose, with the same 9-digit part number (i think), but ending in -BC, instead.

2nd Gear
    Whatever happens with the Passat, good luck on the operation!!
    I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Neutral
    First of all. Thanks to all who post threads on this excellent site. I have saved thousands, thanks to all the information I obtained from this site. The most recent problem I had was a (ross tech code) misfire on cylinder #3. I had no cracks in wires ,no vacuum leaks. So I purchased a coil pack from the dealership for $40 and fixed the misfire problem. Before this fix, my car would "shudder/sputter" and have a rough idle especially at lower rpms and black smoke coming out of my exhaust which obviously was unburned fuel. I agree with others who say buy the original oem part. In the past I bought parts on e-bay and other sites and they did not work as an original and had no guarantee. Thanks again.

4th Gear
    Best wishes on the health issues.

Neutral

Coils "lifting up"

I have a 2001 B5 and a 2002 B5.5 and have had the exact same problem with both. In my case the "coil on plug" assembly was lifting up off the plug, it physically vibrated up far enough it wasn't in contact with the plug.

I fabricated a lexan cover to go over the coils on the 2001, held in in place with M6 threaded studs screwed into the tapped holes on the head. I've only had the 5.5 a few weeks so haven't dealt with the problem yet. For some reason plug #3 seems the worst. Someone told me the earkuer VW coils are held to the head with screws, like a Honda.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by technolud View Post
    I fabricated a lexan cover to go over the coils on the 2001, held in in place with M6 threaded studs screwed into the tapped holes on the head. I've only had the 5.5 a few weeks so haven't dealt with the problem yet. For some reason plug #3 seems the worst. Someone told me the earkuer VW coils are held to the head with screws, like a Honda.
    Yeah, the ATW engine in my 2000 has screw down coil packs. If you want an neater solution to holding them in place, ECS Tuning has a screw-down kit.

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information