DIY 2000 1.8t Tuneup help...
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

DIY 2000 1.8t Tuneup help...

Hello I have a 2000 1.8t automatic Passat with 99k. I would like to perform my own tune up. I am capable and have correct tools etc. But if I could get some posts letting me know what parts should be changed for a proper tune up and where to buy them that would be great
    Thanks in advance,
    Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    When was the last time a tune-up was done? If over 40K miles since, I'd change the following.

1. oil
    2. oil filter
    3. engine air filter
    4. cabin air filter
    5. spark plugs
    6. fuel filter
    7. brake fluid (should be done every two years)

I'd check all the vacuum lines, too. You can replace with silicone hoses.

And if you have not had a timing belt change, do it now! Along with water pump, tensioner, idler roller, thermostat, other belts, and coolant.

Richie at the autobarn has great VW prices. I've purchased from him a few times. He works in the Parts department at a dealer.

847-392-6300
    or e-mail
    RTOPF@THEAUTOBARN.COM

Neutral
    I did timing belt 1 month ago, is there a good reference book for to follow in order to see how / where the fuel/cabin filter is? Also I havent changed spark plugs in a car in about 12 years, do I need to "gap" them? where is a good resource to pull that info,
    Thanks
    so much
    Tim

3rd Gear
    Good to hear you did the timing belt already.

The Bentley manual is about the best resource available, but is a bit pricey. I got mine on sale a while back from I believe Wal-Mart online. http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=vp04

You can also purchase a Haynes/Chilton. Not bad, and a lot cheaper. I have both the Bentely and a Haynes/Chilton. I like the Bentley better, but the Haynes/Chilton has more pictures.

I know the plugs for my 2003 were pre-gapped. I measured them and they were where they should have been. Since you have a 2000 I am not sure, but I am guessing they will come pre-gapped if you buy from VW.

Look here on how to change the fuel filter http://www.passatworld.com/forums/b5-information-base/. Cabin filter is fairly straightforward. No one has done a write-up but you may find it in a search.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by timfoley1 View Post
    is there a good reference book for to follow in order to see how / where the fuel/cabin filter is? Also I havent changed spark plugs in a car in about 12 years, do I need to "gap" them? where is a good resource to pull that info,
    Thanks
    so much
    Tim
    A $15 Haynes manual will answer these questions -- it'll show you where the filters are, it'll show and tell all you need to know to change the plugs, etc. I'd start there and know that this forum is, of course, an equally excellent source for info. Search is your friend!

1st Gear
    sorry to hijack but i'm trying to get in touch with ritchie at the autobarn to get some parts for some of my maintenance needs. i haven't had a chance to call but i've written two emails in the last week and have received no response yet. is he usually good about emails or should i just call? thanks.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by lpknack View Post
    sorry to hijack but i'm trying to get in touch with ritchie at the autobarn to get some parts for some of my maintenance needs. i haven't had a chance to call but i've written two emails in the last week and have received no response yet. is he usually good about emails or should i just call? thanks.
    He's been slow in e-mail responses to me, but when I call he's always there.

ixi
    1st Gear
    Auto transmission fluid change is a very good idea at this mileage. This is a good thread that will give some good info. A few people (including myself) are using the cheaper D4 redline fluid as a cheaper substitute to the OEM fluid. It’s a pretty easy job and worth doing if you plan on keeping the car for a few more years.

Redline D4 ATF in my Tranny - 51,000 miles

Another thing to consider is redoing your pvc system, basically helps your engine breathe easier. I changed mine out at 85k and it was filthy (so was my auto fluid). So you have a pretty good list so far. I’ve done all these things and my car is running great. This is a great car if you are willing to work on it yourself. This site is incredible. Great car and great people.

Complete 1.8 PCV System DIY (AEB)

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by grommit View Post
    He's been slow in e-mail responses to me, but when I call he's always there.
    thanks grommit

now to add something pertinent to the thread topic... i purchased my 2001 B5.5 1.8t with 80,xxx miles and no service records this past spring. i've slowly been tackling the service stuff and have also had a small battle with sludge. so far my maintenance list is this:
    1 - timing belt change including water pump
    2 - cam chain tensioner change (sludge problem related)
    3 - auto-rx treatment x2 (sludge related, but not a bad idea on higher milage car)
    4 - new air filter

to do in the next couple of weeks:
    1 - change vacuum lines
    2 - clean pcv system
    3 - new cabin air filter
    4 - new spark plugs

once i happy with the maintenance then it's on to the modding!

2nd Gear
    i got a bentley off of germanautoparts.com for $85 new. That's about as cheap as I could find it...

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information