How to check Brake Fluid

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

How to check Brake Fluid

I just got a 2002 Passat GLX V6 4Motion a few months ago. I had the STOP Brake warning light come on a few times. Now, I'm trying to find out how to check the fluid level. Also, what type of fluid I need to top it off.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    With the hood open you will find your reservoir between the 1st and 2nd firewall, driver's side. It is marked as to maximum and minimum levels. The fluid should be changed out every couple of years - so if it hasn't been done before now would be a good time.

Normally the only reason you would need to add fluid between brake flushes is because your brake pads have worn.

The recommended fluid is DOT 4. Valvoline's SYN Power (fully synthetic)brake fluid is dual rated - DOT 3 and DOT 4. You can find it many auto supply stores such as AutoZone for a reasonable price.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by WvUpassat02
    I just got a 2002 Passat GLX V6 4Motion a few months ago. I had the STOP Brake warning light come on a few times. Now, I'm trying to find out how to check the fluid level. Also, what type of fluid I need to top it off.

Thanks
    THE LIGHTCAN COME ON FOR OTHER REASONS BESIDES BRAKE FLUID

Neutral
    I just had the dealership do a brake check about a week before the light started coming on. What else could the light be coming on for??

Arj
    4th Gear
    I recently flushed my brake fluid and, when all was done, started up the car and got the STOP light in the dash. I then remembered that I had overfilled the fluid reservoir, so I drained some of it back out and then the light went off. Hasn't come on again since.

But I too wonder how people check their fluid levels. When using Valvoline Syn Power, which is a light color, I can't really tell for sure what the level is by looking at the markings on the side of the reservoir. My car is a 2001.5 and has the two siphon ports on the top of the reservoir, besides the refill hole. Is it possible to remove the refill screen and just look inside? I wasn't sure how it can be removed and didn't want to force (and break) it.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information