Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Lights don't work.

22K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  99GLXV6 
#1 ·
2003 Passat Wagon. Lights head/tail don't work when I turn the knob. This is what DOES work: high beams, brake lights, hazards, turn signals. What would cause this? I checked all the fuses and couldn't find one burned out. Thanks.

#2 ·
headlight problem?

Hey, I just lost my headlights...running lights do not come on anymore...highbeams work, and all other lights work. When I turn on my headlights, again, no light...I too checked the fuses...can't find anything wrong so far.

Can anyone possibly help us here?

TIA
Jeff

#3 ·
Well, at least there are two of us in this boat now. I think that its a little colored box in the instrument panel that is causing a short, but I don't have the time/energy to figure it out b/c it's my wife's car and is the only one that the baby can be in.

#8 ·
always better to measure a fuse with a meter, rather than to just look at them. once inna while, one will look good when it isn't.

too bad car makers don't put a fuse checker in the fuse box area, eh? just a simple lightbulb circuit...lights up, fuse good; no light, fuse bad...

#10 ·
Fuse checker. Why didn't I think of that. Looks like I'm off to Autozone after work. Have to do it tonight cuz the car goes to the dealership tomorrow morning for unrelated warranty work. Is there a more detailed description of the fuses for my vehicle than the pictures on the card on the plastic cover? Where would I find that ?

#11 ·
JayTheSnork said:
always better to measure a fuse with a meter, rather than to just look at them. once inna while, one will look good when it isn't.

too bad car makers don't put a fuse checker in the fuse box area, eh? just a simple lightbulb circuit...lights up, fuse good; no light, fuse bad...
Well, they (Autozone) don't have premade ones, I'm assuming its just a 9V battery socket with 2 alligator clips?

#15 ·
Faulty ignition switch.

When mine went out, this is what didn't work:

-ac fan
-headlights (with exception of the high beams, only when you pulled the lever)
-taillights/breaklights
-windshield wipers
-turning signals (except when both were turned on at the same time with the hazardous/emergency button)

Really hope this is not your case, but really is what's sounding like.

#16 ·
Just happened to me 3 weeks ago. Pretty odd, 3 people having this happen within a few weeks.

Fuses are fine, bulbs are fine, running lights/head lights don't work, highbeams work.

probably gonna pay up the ass to get it fixed if I don't hear any good suggestions !

#20 ·
Okay - I just got the car back from the dealership. I was ignoring you people! :lol The light switch was bad and needed replacing. Plus, 2 of the wiring harnesses were bad, and 3 bulbs were blown. A whole slew of problems. Total cost: ~$500 parts + labor from Vaden VW in Savannah, GA. Thanks for all the help folks, and I hope I didn't upset anyone with not telling the end of the tale sooner. Honestly JUST got back from dropping it off to my wife. Cheers and thanks.

#22 ·
So, stupid operator problem. I was only checking the highbeam bulbs, never checked the headlight bulbs. Replaced them both, and things are working great.

HOWEVER, I was a dumbass and poped out a fuse to the radio, and have lost my radio safe number.... Looks like I gotta pop it out, take down the SN and my VIN and call a dealer? Pain. In. The. Ass.

#24 ·
Atown Passat said:
Sounds like you were taken or have a more serious electrical problem that would have caused all that to go bad.......
How was I taken? I seriously don't think that all of the things went bad at once. The "short"(or that's what I thought it was) inthe 2 wiring harnesses was for the running lights and have been bad for a while - the bulbs probably went out some time ago and the switch? well, I didn't noticed the rest of the trouble really until that went out. So, please explain what you mean. TIA

#25 ·
headlites won't start

i have a similar problem, i have HID's, also still have the DRL relay installed and the 1 step headlites switch yeah either on or off...

so heres the problem this morning i release the handbrake and roll down the driveway, no lights, the DRL's should be on, nadda... (6:30 am dark as the back side of the moon)

try the headlight switch, now i get marker lites, i jerked around a bit and if i turn the headlite switch on and restart the the car the lites will stay on, try again with out headlite switch using handbrake and can get left or right, and after may trys finally get both....

i haven't solved the problem yet, but my gut tells me it can only be one of three things, headlite switch, DRL relay, or possibly the bypass i installed around the resistance wire to always ensure full current to fire the HID's

will post back when i have fix

#26 ·
i have a similar problem, i have HID's, also still have the DRL relay installed and the 1 step headlites switch yeah either on or off...

so heres the problem this morning i release the handbrake and roll down the driveway, no lights, the DRL's should be on, nadda... (6:30 am dark as the back side of the moon)

try the headlight switch, now i get marker lites, i jerked around a bit and if i turn the headlite switch on and restart the the car the lites will stay on, try again with out headlite switch using handbrake and can get left or right, and after may trys finally get both....

i haven't solved the problem yet, but my gut tells me it can only be one of three things, headlite switch, DRL relay, or possibly the bypass i installed around the resistance wire to always ensure full current to fire the HID's

will post back when i have fix
(nevermind)

#27 ·
So VWPWR had a faulty ignition switch when the

1) AC fan;
2) headlights (with exception of the high beams, only when you pulled the lever);
3) taillights/breaklights;
4) windshield wipers; and
5) turning signals (except when both were turned on at the same time with the hazardous/emergency button) dont work?

I have all of the problems except tailights and wipers do work. My AC blows at the lowest level even on high. And the automatic headlights do not come on at all.

Delgado had a bad light switch.

I see my problem as either the headlight switch, the dimmer switch or a relay because I did smell a burning smell. My question is could I have the same problem as VWPWR (Ignition switch) or Delgado (light switch).

Did you guys smell anything burning? How difficult is it if I want to change the ignition switch myself? I see where I can change the light switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.