1999 Passat Headlight issues
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

1999 Passat Headlight issues... updated with new info.

ok, the b/f came home from work, and i got updated info on exactly what is going on....

ok.. he is telling me to forget the yellow dot in the pic. just forget the whole pic.

ok. he turned the lights on and the lowbeam on the front passanger light did not go on. he replaced H7, fine. He replaced the 9003, but no go. so, he took a live wire. he put it to the headlight switch in the dashboard. he heard the relay kick and the lowbeams went on. he took the live wire off, and no power again.

so, he is saying that somewhere between the headlight switch at the dashboard and where ever the power is supposed to come from... there is a problem. whatever is supposed to be feeding power to the headlight switch ... he doesnt know if there is another fuse somewhere or what.. but something is FUBARed from the light switch to the headlights. We have a Haynes Manual but it is not giving him what he needs to know.

he is now telling me that yesterday, the other headlight failed, too. this is news to me. but it seems that now... neither headlights are working.
    there is no power from the dashboard headlight switch, to the 9003s unless he jumps it from an outside source.

sheesh, i am starting to understand what he is talking about... scary.
    Last edited by KarenMarie; 04-18-2006 at 11:11 PM. Reason: updated info

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    The low beam is an H7 bulb, not a 9003. There is also a connector on the lock carrier (the thing that holds the radiator and headlights). You may want to check that too.

Neutral
    thank you for your speedy reply.

we replaced the 173, we replaced the H7, too. He also tried replacing the 9003.

none worked.

as for the lock carrier connector... hmm.. hahaha. I have no idea what you mean. I have a Haynes Repair manual right here, i will look. when you say to check it, what do you mean? that is is loose, that it broken, that it is fried?

thanks.

Neutral
    this may or may not explain better... but when i was searching this forum to see if this issue has been previously address... i found this thread.

Halos not working!!

ignoring the issue and just looking at the picture posted by MrGreek2002, who was kind enough to color code things...

we have no power going to the yellow.

he tried both sides with a test light. no power to the yellow. when he jumped the headlight switch he heard the relay kick on and he had low been circuit. when he took the hot wire off, nothing.

4th Gear
    Well, it seems you found that connector anyway. The lock carrier is what VW calls the frame that holds everything on the front of the car. Once you start doing engine work, you'll become all too familiar with it.

So it sounds like you're good from the relay forward. Gotta be the switch then. Now would be a good time to consider a Euro switch. It gives better control over running lights and fog lights. Look in group buys and on ebay. It'll probably be cheaper than the dealer part anyway.

Neutral
    i think i stated that poorly.

when i said that he jumped the switch.... what i meant was that he took a live wire to the lowbeam side of the switch. he had power to the switch thru an outside hot wire.

once he took the hot wire off the switch and put the wire back, he got nothing.

he jumped it out.. his terminology... at the headlight switch at the dashboard. so the problem is somewhere between the headlight switch (dashboard) and the yellow dot in the picture linked above, there is a problem.

whew, what an education i am getting. Computers are my thing. Car stuff scares me.

Neutral
    updated with new info.

4th Gear
    Are you getting power at the black/yellow when the ignition switch is on? Also, check that the parking brake lever switch is working.

Neutral
    tail lights, dash, high beams, daytime driving lights work.

he did note that when he starts the car, the daytime lights come on as normal, no problem. but if he turns the headlights on, the daytime lights get brighter. i dont know if that is supposed to happen. i have had the car such a short time, it is not something i noticed.

4th Gear
    When the switch is on, is there power to the yellow/brown wire both at the back of the switch and the headlight fuses?

3rd Gear
    Blog Entries
    Are these OEM lights or aftermarket?

1st Gear
    They are OEM, with 173 still installed.

She was having problems with her bulbs. When the old ones burnt out, she replaced them, but they weren't as bright, causing her to think there was a problem. So, I pointed her towards some Osram Silverstars, and hopefully that's fixes it.

3rd Gear
    Blog Entries
    ahhhh, i see - said the blind man

Lisa Simpson
    Yes, the HLs will get brighter when you go fron DRL to full low beam.

Neutral
    raptor1056 did indeed provide me with invaluable information. on a LOT of things on this car.

as for the headlight issue, i have no clue. when we chatted last night i went out and followed all the suggestions he listed for me. i was not sure what i was looking for, so just wrote down everything i did and the result (hey, i am a puter geek, know nothing about cars except where to put gas and how to change the cd )

the lights worked. it was like 2:00AM at this point, so trying to wake up the b/f to go and look was met with disgruntled mumblings, to put it politely.

but this morning ... well, he thinks i preformed some kind of magic on it.

the ONLY thing i can think of is this:

the H7 bulb went out. He replaced it but when he saw that it was not as bright as the driver side, he thought there was a problem. He then started to troubleshoot, replacing bulbs and switches and testing fuses and whatever and caused the drivers' side to go out. which caused much cursing and frustration. when putting the dashboard and bulbs back so he could drive it to the dealer, he did so correctly, but pushed the lightswitch in which did something with the foglights. It was daytime when all this happened, so he would not have had cause to turn the lights on to come home from the garage where he was working on it.

raptor1056 gave me a list of instructions. they are logged on my IM on another system, so i dont remember exactly what they were. But when i pulled the lightswitch OUT towards me, it clicked into place. When i turned the headlights on, they seemed fine to me. except the driver's side is brighter than the passenger. since i did not know what i was looking for, i wrote down EXACTLY what i saw. left bulbs (yellow) middle and left bulbs.

This morning, the b/f is stymied and thinks that raptor1056 is a hero, and i am pretty nifty, too.

i REALLY appreciate all the help and support I got here. this seems like a really neato place to frequent, so i think i just might stick around. Lord knows i am gonna need this place numerous times as we learn about and repair/mod this car.

thanks so much!!

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor1056
    They are OEM, with 173 still installed.

She was having problems with her bulbs. When the old ones burnt out, she replaced them, but they weren't as bright, causing her to think there was a problem. So, I pointed her towards some Osram Silverstars, and hopefully that's fixes it.
    Oh... and is this what I want? http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/pro...cat=256&page=1

18. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information