Shocks or Struts?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Shocks or Struts?

I've got a 1999 Passat GLX in need of new shocks. (@70,000 miles, very floaty, bouncy ride now, stock shocks) When I look on-line at parts warehouses, they list both shocks AND struts for 99 Passat sedan. I'm a little confused. When I look at the car, I belive there is a shock coming through the front spring. Can anyone enlighten me before I order parts? Does a 1999 Passat GLX sedan have front shocks or struts??
    Thanks for the assistance

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Shocks refer to the springs, and struts refer to the damper (cylinder filled with compressed gas). All cars have both shocks and struts. If you're feeling a very floaty ride, then your struts need to be replaced.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by afawal
    Shocks refer to the springs, and struts refer to the damper (cylinder filled with compressed gas). All cars have both shocks and struts. If you're feeling a very floaty ride, then your struts need to be replaced.
    Really? I thought the B5 Passats have shocks in the rear and struts in the front?

What time is Matlock on?
    Quote Originally Posted by B5Greg
    Really? I thought the B5 Passats have shocks in the rear and struts in the front?
    Bingo
    I think what he meant to say is cars have both SPRINGS and shocks/struts.

PassatWorld Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by afawal
    A shock is absolutely NOT the same thing as a spring. Engage brain before posting.

The only difference between a shock and a strut is that a "strut" is a shock with a built-in spring perch. Hence our cars indeed have struts in the front, and shocks in the back.

Furthermore, the common usage of "strut" means that the damper assy is a structural part of the suspension (i.e. necessary to locate the wheel/hub assy in the proper geometry), as in MacPherson strut. With our cars' 4-link suspension, our front struts are not necessarily structural, i.e. we don't have MacPherson struts. The B6 does, though.

Neutral
    Thanks for the information. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement strut that will have similar ride quality to the factory struts? It's my wife's car and she's happy with stock performance. BTW, I'm learning tons about fixing the things that break on a lot of the Passats. Thanks for spreading the word.

PassatWorld Staff
    I'm going to stir the pot here...

Struts and shocks are not the same thing... and the position of the spring has nothing to do with what you call them.

Both struts and shocks are DAMPERS.

Shocks are dampers that ONLY control the chassis motion. Where as struts are also a locating member of the suspension. If you remove a strut, the wheel will move outside it's normal motion (meaning out of plane).

The B5 (and B5.5) have shocks all the way around.

You cannot assume that if it's a coil-over setup (which our front end is) that makes it a strut. MKIV's have struts... remove it, and the wheel falls off (reltatively speaking). On the Passat (not the PQ46) the wheel will maintain the same path if you remove the shock.

A Mac Pherson strut is simply a specific design of a strut(which the MKIV's happen to use). To be a MacPherson strut, not only do you have to help hold the wheel in place, but you(you being the strut) also define the pivot axis of the wheel (steering). But wheel location is not specific to MacPhersons, it's specific to S.T.R.U.T.S.

Make sense?

Neutral
    Well, I don't feel so bad for being a little confused. If I understand correctly, I need to order, for my 1999 Passat GLX, front shocks, NOT struts? I still don't understand why www.autopartswarehouse.com lists both shocks and struts for the front of a 1999 V6 passat sedan.

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...lar=&brand=all

strut assembly is whole assembly.
    shock is an insert for the strut.
    good for you?

PassatWorld Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by pass-variant
    I'm going to stir the pot here...

Struts and shocks are not the same thing... and the position of the spring has nothing to do with what you call them.

Both struts and shocks are DAMPERS.

Shocks are dampers that ONLY control the chassis motion. Where as struts are also a locating member of the suspension. If you remove a strut, the wheel will move outside it's normal motion (meaning out of plane).

The B5 (and B5.5) have shocks all the way around.

You cannot assume that if it's a coil-over setup (which our front end is) that makes it a strut. MKIV's have struts... remove it, and the wheel falls off (reltatively speaking). On the Passat (not the PQ46) the wheel will maintain the same path if you remove the shock.

A Mac Pherson strut is simply a specific design of a strut(which the MKIV's happen to use). To be a MacPherson strut, not only do you have to help hold the wheel in place, but you(you being the strut) also define the pivot axis of the wheel (steering). But wheel location is not specific to MacPhersons, it's specific to S.T.R.U.T.S.

Make sense?
    Pot has been duly stirred. Now we can simmer properly. Thanks for the clarification - I was almost right...

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    Pot has been duly stirred. Now we can simmer properly. Thanks for the clarification - I was almost right...
    I was thinking about it,but decided to let Rusty seem like he knew what he was talking about

The Passat does not have inserts for the front. The shock is replaced as 1 peice.

keldoc, if you want something close to the stock ride (when new),the KYB is a good choice.

Neutral
    I think I know what I'm going to do. Take my car to the local shop, tell THEM to replace the existing part with a factory eqivalent, and throw whats left in the trunk! Then I'll get a good look and update this thread with my findings.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by keldoc
    I think I know what I'm going to do. Take my car to the local shop, tell THEM to replace the existing part with a factory eqivalent, and throw whats left in the trunk! Then I'll get a good look and update this thread with my findings.
    I'm not sure I'd replace my current "struts" with a factory equivalent. For what seems to be about the same amount of money you should be able to get some aftermarkets shocks and springs, either here as part of a group buy or from any one of a number of web sites. This will give you a better ride and longer life for the same amount of money. Look and the H&R or Neuspeed springs and the Koni or Bilstein shocks.

Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong...
    -K2

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by keldoc
    I wouldn't. You'll end up with crappy Monroe-Matic or Gabriel type shocks. Do youreself a favor and order KYB's or go to the stealership an get the OE replacements from Sachs ($$$). Then go to a shop and have them installed.

PassatWorld Staff
    keldoc... please do a search... you can do much better than stock, in regards to handling... I like Eibach (natched dampers and springs, many other like Koni and FK........ stock is not the shit. Choose what you're preference is then compare.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scottpassat2.8
    http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...lar=&brand=all

strut assembly is whole assembly.
    shock is an insert for the strut.
    good for you?
    thanks scott i didnt even know tirerack sold part for suspension ..

Neutral
    FYI

I have it on good authority (from my Quality Manager) that if you want the OE part buy a Monroe version - It the same part made on the same line and may be cheaper. (He used to work there)

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information