Intermittent Buzzing Noise from Fuel Tank Area.
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Intermittent Buzzing Noise from Fuel Tank Area.

The other day I was driving in the high mountains of Colorado on a pretty smooth dirt road. My wife and I smelled fuel but I thought it was perhaps a motorcycle on the road (never saw or heard a bike, I was just being optimistic). I pulled over and we heard a real loud buzzing noise coming from the back of the car. It buzzed for a good ½ hour or so. At 60mph on the way home (paved road) you could barely hear it. Then it went away. Now two weeks latter I still hear a buzzing noise but not near as loud. I went to the back of the car and I can make the noise go away and then return by pushing up on the fuel tank. Also, fiddling with what looks like the vent line can make it happen or disappear. Mostly it seems to be effected by pressure on the tank. It’s clearly the fuel pump noise being amplified in some fashion (I think). This is on a 2001 V6 with the ATQ style fuel injection. Car seems to be driving fine. I have not smelled any fuel since that day. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    that would be your fuel pump
    it's going bad or you have a clogged fuel filter

Neutral
    The symptoms are connected directly to the pressure I put or take away from the fuel tank. Where is the fuel pump access door on a Wagon anyway?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by coolbep
    that would be your fuel pump
    it's going bad or you have a clogged fuel filter
    I don't think thats it. The fuel filter on the passat is a "life of car" kind of filter (so my service manual says". Also, with the noise being related to me pushing on a hose or the fuel tank that would indicate something else. Anyone else have any ideas.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
    I don't think thats it. The fuel filter on the passat is a "life of car" kind of filter (so my service manual says". Also, with the noise being related to me pushing on a hose or the fuel tank that would indicate something else. Anyone else have any ideas.
    The fuel filter isn't really a "life of car part". I changed mine out at 65k & it was really restricted. For the price of a new filter & about 20 minutes to change it out, it would be worth a shot. I'm not sure on the wagon where the fuel tank access is, but on my sedan I believe it's under the trunk carpet (or under the rear seat for awd models).

Neutral
    I already own the filter so I guess I can throw it on. I pulled the carpet up in the Wagon and the access in right behind the rear seat. I looked at everything and my guess at this point is the buzzing noise was a hose hitting something up in that area. I did see a couple marks that indicate things are moving around. I figured it was something more important then that but I hope not.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
    I already own the filter so I guess I can throw it on. I pulled the carpet up in the Wagon and the access in right behind the rear seat. I looked at everything and my guess at this point is the buzzing noise was a hose hitting something up in that area. I did see a couple marks that indicate things are moving around. I figured it was something more important then that but I hope not.
    Use some good ol' 100mph tape to make sure there's nothing moving around & go for a test drive.

Neutral
    Just so everyone knows. It was simply a hose vibrating on the inside of the fuel pump access cavity area. So simple.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information