Interior lights not working

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Interior lights not working

I have a '99 1.8 and the interior lights are not working...not when i open the door, not when i press the lights, My instrument lights work as do my power options, there just are no map lights or any other interior lighting.

I checked the fuse box, i believe it is space 38 that powers the interior lights, the fuse looks perfect.

any ideas??

thanks,
    Ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral

it would

it would be your door lock in the front left door

Neutral
    what do you mean?

Neutral
    i tried messing around with my door lock on the front left door but I cant really figure out what was to do, can you be more specific??

thanks,
    ryan

3rd Gear
    Some have experienced the problem of no inside light coming on when the driver door is opened. It's caused by a bad switch in the door latch. Does not appear to be your issue though.

Neutral
    yah im really confused by this... I dont even know where to start looking for the problem.

can anyone confirm that the interior light fuse is #38 on the '99 1.8. This seems like it could be it but i really have no idea why they wont turn on.

Even when the door is closed and i hit the switches nothing lights up...

someone PLLLLLLLEASE help its so annoying!!!

Thanks all,

Ryan

2nd Gear
    ok, do youhave one of those screw driver things that comes to a point at the end and has a lightbulb in the hanndle to check electrical current? IF you do check out each fuse (there are 2 contact points on both sides of the amp rating) if one doesnt light up the bulb in the handle then thats the messed up one. Make sure you high beams are on because 2 will not work if they are off and of course that you ground the clip on somthing metal. Also on the door that i took off to get the fuses on my 98, had a "fuse card" with pictures to all of the locations.

Good Luck

1st Gear
    Hey, I have a 99 also and I have the same problem. Non of my door lights or interior lights work. My dash lights work fine but no dome or map lights. Also my trunk light dosn'e work either. If you find a cure PLEASE let me know it's such a PITA with no lights.

4th Gear
    Bad CCM. Check under your drivers footwell area. Bet it is wet to the touch.. smell it to confirm it is wet, stagnant.

I have the same problem :no interior or map lights, ever. Looked at CCM and sure enough corrosion. Never got around to fixing it.. yet.

1st Gear
    I to have a 99 and the lights door lights and interior lights and map lights don't work either. If you find the problem let me know.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PassatVariantPunk
    Bad CCM. Check under your drivers footwell area. Bet it is wet to the touch.. smell it to confirm it is wet, stagnant.

I have the same problem :no interior or map lights, ever. Looked at CCM and sure enough corrosion. Never got around to fixing it.. yet.

Neutral
    still havent checked if its the CCM yet, (haven't had time) but i guess after reading the following posts and some others i have more symptoms

-the car doesnt honk or whatever its supposed to do when the trunk closes
    -there is no beeping when the keys are in the ignition and the doors are open
    -I dont have the remote working but i bought a new one the other day, im now wondering if thats even going to get programmed correctly if i am having these problems. the one i currently have may actually work just fine but is unable to be programmed because of this problem

I have searched online for the ccm but can not find it anywhere, i have searched the links that people have suggested and found nothing..

how much does this thing cost and i guess the dealer needs to program it correct??

stupid lights

4th Gear
    Lift up carpet above CCM. Check wires. Most likely corroded. Learn to solder and patch them up. Also, fix the root of the problem and prevent water from getting in your cabin by cleaning out the egine bay appropriately, with special consideration to the battery tray. Also, look into a B5.5 rear engine cover/cowling to block potentially foreign clogging matter.

Neutral
    dealer told me a new CCM was $250, I have a similar problem, and also my rear trunk lid will not open

Neutral
    ok so i finally got a chance to take a look under the carpet on the drivers side, this was also right after i washed the car. Well there is definitly a leak ( i think i know where) but there is a bit of water inside the car sitting on all of the wires. I dont know exactly where to look or how much carpet to pull out. The water is located pretty much in line with the hood release cable and sits just on the far left side of the floor.

I dont know where the CCM is though and I was wondering if anyone could specify its location,

I am guessing that i just need to get some caulk or some sort of sealant nad just try to compeltely seal up the current leak.

Thanks all for your advice,

Ryan

stu
    2nd Gear
    my ccm is on my passenger side under the seat(mine is right hand drive) you have to pull your carpet right back to see it. 1998 20vt

Neutral
    Thanks Stu

I actually went out there and tore up more carpet under my drivers seat and found the black box...i opened it up and there was water sitting in it ( not good)

I sealed up the area around the trunk release and cleaned out the battery area so I am hoping that the leaking will stop

thanks for the info

4th Gear
    You got a problem that you haven't fixed : corroded wires. Just cause it is sealed doesn't fix it. If anything you just sealed in some water. Go back and check those wires.

Neutral
    thats my next move, i dont have time right now to do it but i checked a good many of the wires and they were fine, i havent had the time to check the ones directly into the ccm...

i have to take the seat out to do that, i just hope no more water comes in, the car has spent the day outside with the carpet up trying to dry out

Neutral
    Blog Entries
    Hi Ryman. Open both passenger doors. Undo plastic trim running from front to back of inner door sill. Passenger left side footwell has a wide plastic trim. Undo this (1 screw) put passenger seat right back and up. You can now pull up the carpet and get to the CCM. Open up the CCM and there is another small black box inside. There are 3 wires the connect to one wire (x2 sets) these are probably corroded. Cut these back and reconnect and hopefully this will help. Good luck!!!

4th Gear
    Holy shite! Way to chime in on a 7 year old thread! The repair info is well documented and is well known on this site these days. There are several writeups, but we typically refer people to this one in particular: taligentx.com: Passat - Door Lock Mechanism Repair

Welcome to the club, glad you're willing to be helpful, but you should actually check if it's a subject that hasn't already been beaten to death, as this one has.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by soundguybob View Post
    Holy shite! Way to chime in on a 7 year old thread! The repair info is well documented and is well known on this site these days. There are several writeups, but we typically refer people to this one in particular: taligentx.com: Passat - Door Lock Mechanism Repair

Welcome to the club, glad you're willing to be helpful, but you should actually check if it's a subject that hasn't already been beaten to death, as this one has.
    That seemed a little harsh soundguybob. He is new to the forum and made an honest mistake and was only trying to be helpful.

4th Gear
    Boo hoo

25. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information