passat heater problem PLZ HELP!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

passat heater problem PLZ HELP!

I have a 1998 Passat 1.9TDI Sport (110bhp)

over the last few weeks i've had a problem where the heaters sometimes just dont let the fan tick over at all. theres a noise which seems to be coming from the drivers side somewhere under the steering wheel behind the dash and its like a continious clicking noise. done a 50 mile trip today and all the way it was just clicking away but the heaters do work from time to time. just recently its been getting worse and i want to sort it out before it starts getting worse.
    the noise seems to just come and go but when it is there its just the heaters that are affected also noticed sometimes when turning the wipers on it also clicks a few times. none of the other electrics are affected.

any ideas on what this could be?
    also what method should i take about getting it repaired?

ANY help would be much appreciated

Regards

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    nobody to help???

just to give some more information if anyone can help with abit more specific info i took the car into a garage today for a full diagnostic and the fan motor is faulty apparently its a common fault.
    anybody had this problem?
    can anyone tell me where this part is located in the car also is it an easy job to do yourself?

the clicking noise seems to be the air con low on gas however not sure until the main fan motor is replaced

any advice at this stage would be very much appreciated

PassatWorld Staff
    I don't know for sure but I imagine a fan motor replacement would require dash removal, ouch...

Neutral
    jus been foning around but its a very common fault surely i cant be the only one having this problem if everywhere is out of stock for the part? even the dealers are out of stock!!

ive been told its behind the glove box so once glove box is removed its easily accessible PRICES are not cheap for the part itself. dont think the fone bill will b either the ammount ive been using it today

murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat mrgreek2002's Avatar
    The same thing happens to my '99 1.8T sedan here in Canada. However it only happens in the middle winter for a couple of months and then it never comes back until one year later (the next winter). What it is on my car is that the fan is frozen and doesn't want to blow at normal speed and blows slower than normal, so I put it to possition #4 (the fastest) and the heat needle all the way to the right (extremely hot) for 10 min. after ten minutes the problem goes away and then thats when I lower down the possition to #2 or #1.

1st Gear
    ^^ MrGeek...I wonder if your cabin filter is iced over (or the vent serving the cabin filter)...that would explain the lower output. The 10min thing may be the engine heating up the engine bay or the heater core warming up enough to melt the cabin air intake enough to let the air through.

Neutral
    over here in the UK this seems to be a very common fault on the passats. mine seems to blow air sometimes from turnover on the key and sometimes it can take up to half hour for the fan to start blowing. my climate control also flashes when the car is first started up. diagnosed problem is said to be the HEATER MOTOR behind the dash board. not a pretty job by the looks of things.

2nd Gear
    I had the clicking sound problem on my Uk 5.5 (also know of 2 other passats and 3 skoda octavia's with the same problem).

Press the re-circulate button and i bet it goes away,
    The motorized flap for the internal/external air supply can get jammed (the clicking is the teeth on the motors cog slipping),mine turned out to be a dis- connected rod between the motor and flap.

Bit of a mare to get too tho.

Neutral
    re circulate button?

mines uk model too.

just considering changing the whole damn part causing bit too much of a head ache than its worth. apparently very common fault

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information