Double Platinum vs. Iridium
+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Double Platinum vs. Iridium

Hey guys,

In general, whats the difference between say, double platinum and iridium plugs?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm about to do the plugs on the rents' '04 Town Car and those Triton engines are a chore to change the plugs on. They have the coil-over-plug setup, plus the back few are still hard to get to, even when you remove the fuel rails and such. I know this because of our F-150!

The book says its supposed to take over 2 hours, which means me and my sweet time will take all day.

I don't want to have to do this again for a really long time, so I was going to go with the Double Platinums because they should last well over 100,000 miles.

It's my understanding that Iridium's perform overall better, but don't last as long. Am I correct? <<< Here's the question (for those who don't wish to socialize)

Double Platinums - NGK Spark Plugs 7740 - NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plugs - Overview - SummitRacing.com
    Iridium - NGK Spark Plugs 6044 - NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

And if you're wondering, the Passat's plugs get changed every 40,000, whenever I get there.

Yes I really do care this much about spark plugs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    No spark plug is going to last 100,000 miles, not effectively anyways. As far as the whole process taking two hours, I'm not so sure about that. Here's a video that shows how to replace them:

GL, and I think your best bet for spark plug recommendations is going to be on a Town Car forum.

1st Gear
    After reading your post, I had to go pop the hood and look because I was confused. The engine on your video isn't the same as mine. There's a few differences, which Ford must have revised.

But you're right, I guess it's not as bad as I thought. The hood is so large, you can get to the whole engine. The motors are sunk so far back in the pickups.

No spark plug is going to last 100,000 miles, not effectively anyways.
    I beg to differ. This has 109,000 miles is on its original set. The car runs/idles smooth, with the gas mileage still about 25. We bought the car a few months ago, and I freaked out a little when I realized they hadn't been changed yet. I better not snap one off.

We also have a '97 Buick Lesabre with the 3800. I replaced those while trying to diagnose what ended up to be a cracked coil tower. I had to tear off the original Packard metal covered plug boots. Original AC plugs at 103,000 miles. The ground strap was definitely worn, but was at worst, twice GM's huge .060 recommended gap.

I'll agree that they're probably not as efficient, but if your cylinders aren't running too rich or lean, there's a good chance they'll last.
    But I'm not going to try to run a set of plugs over 100,000 on purpose.

These American cars can definitely take more abuse than German autos. They most certainly are far from the overall driving experience, however.

is going to be on a Town Car forum.
    NO! lol. Anytime I go looking for other forums, its just disappointing because none even come close to PassatWorld.

I don't need a recommendation. Just a general answer to how iridium plugs compare to double platinum.
    Last edited by mount; 09-09-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: buick's mileage

Quote Originally Posted by mount View Post

I beg to differ. This has 109,000 miles is on its original set. The car runs/idles smooth, with the gas mileage still about 25. We bought the car a few months ago, and I freaked out a little when I realized they hadn't been changed yet. I better not snap one off.

I'll agree that they're probably not as efficient, but if your cylinders aren't running too rich or lean, there's a good chance they'll last.
    But I'm not going to try to run a set of plugs over 100,000 on purpose.

I don't need a recommendation. Just a general answer to how iridium plugs compare to double platinum.
    Performance may not be noticeably compromised on a Town Car, but gas mileage and performance issues aside, having a spark plug sit in an engine for a decade is just asking for it to seize up. I realize you can drive it for 100k with the original plugs, but I wouldn't recommend it, even on a domestic/import.

As far as durability goes, Double Platinum's will last a bit longer versus the iridium if you just want the longest lasting plug.

1st Gear
    having a spark plug sit in an engine for a decade is just asking for it to seize up.
    I concur with this. I still can't believe how some people don't use anti-seize on their threads.

Thanks for the info and cheap entertainment. Thats why I love this forum.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by mount View Post
    I concur with this. I still can't believe how some people don't use anti-seize on their threads.

Thanks for the info and cheap entertainment. Thats why I love this forum.
    I think the reason you are finding so many people not using anti seize on their plugs these days is because that is the correct way to install them. At least it is the correct way to install those specified for the passats I have worked on - and most every other car.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/TB-...1antisieze.pdf

3rd Gear
    Thanks for the link to the document, I will not use anti-seize on my next plug set.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto5.5 View Post
    Thanks for the link to the document, I will not use anti-seize on my next plug set.
    Bosch plugs are nickel plated as an anti seize measure.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information