Transmission Issues and Fluid Additives
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    4th Gear

Transmission Issues and Fluid Additives

My wifes car is suffering a problem with her transmission. The car in question is a 1999 Saturn SC2 automatic with around 50k miles...I just replaced the trans fluid filter and the fluid and it did not correct the problem. The problem is that after you drive the car for a period of time..for instance 20 minutes and the car heats up to normal operating temperature, the car will not shift in an expediant manner when you move the gear shift...for instance from Drive to Reverse, sometimes the Drive to reverse shift will not engage until the gas is pressed slightly (not good i know but its either that or stay there) I did see a number of additives at the store that advertise better shifting and all sorts of other great claims. I was wondering if any of you folks have tried this and did it work. Obviously the car needs transmission work, I am just trying to delay it as long as possible

Experiences welcome

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    I think just about all addatives are 100% snake oil. if they really worked, why wouldn't the manufacturersw have these ingredients in their fliuds? The one thing that could help is synthetic fluid. Also, I know you just had the fluid changed, but have you checked the level?

5th Gear
    Have you tried using 80grit sandpaper to clean the fuel lines?

(sorry - I just HAD to :-P )

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by duandcc
    I think just about all addatives are 100% snake oil. if they really worked, why wouldn't the manufacturersw have these ingredients in their fliuds? The one thing that could help is synthetic fluid. Also, I know you just had the fluid changed, but have you checked the level?
    Yes I did check the level...shortly after letting the car run....It seems perfect...and I do agree with your logic in your statement infact that was why i didnt purchase the additive to begin with...from some research I did I saw that saturn has had issues with the "valve body" and hence the tranny usually requires replacement...but as i stated I am just trying to buy time....if the tranny needs to be replaced I am just getting rid of the car

6th Grade
    I think just about all addatives are 100% snake oil. if they really worked, why wouldn't the manufacturersw have these ingredients in their fliuds?
    You don't know much about additives then, do you?

And they don't add them at the factory because manufacturers have to assume the car will be serviced on time and correctly. And if you do, you're not supposed to have problems.

That being said, the only transmission additve worth a flip is K&W Trans-X.

It DOES work, if the tranny isn't total junk.

4th Gear
    [quote="Sharky"]

Well, I'm not a chemist, but I do know that several well known addative manufacturers have been sued by the FTC to stop their false advertizing...

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky
    I think just about all addatives are 100% snake oil. if they really worked, why wouldn't the manufacturersw have these ingredients in their fliuds?

And they don't add them at the factory because manufacturers have to assume the car will be serviced on time and correctly. And if you do, you're not supposed to have problems.

It DOES work, if the tranny isn't total junk.
    any idea where i can find this stuff online, my local stores seem to be clueless

Overdrive
    What are you basing this on?

Lisa Simpson
    Joe, I would venture that the valving is shot. I have blown two automatics, and in both cases, I lost shifting efficiency (time to change) and additionally lost top gears.

My personal opinion is to not worry about additives or anything oil related, but to have a tranny shop take a peek. A better use of $40, IMO.

I think you are going to be getting rid of it very soon.

6th Grade
    Quote Originally Posted by Macabre
    What are you basing this on?
    Personal and professional experience.

If there is anything left of a valve body or transmission in general, the Trans-X will bring it out.

I did not say it was overhaul in a can.

4th Gear
    AA and Sharky.....From what i Have read all signs point to it being a damaged or very dirty valve body. My thought is that it must be damaged because of the color of the Tranny fluid that came out. With that in mind I think I am going to buy the fluid just for the sake of trying it. I also have to check into what the local places will charge for a tranny...If its too much it may be time to look into a new car for her

In anyevent i appreciate the input

Overdrive

If there is anything left of a valve body or transmission in general, the Trans-X will bring it out.
    You mean it's a product you sell?

Unless you have tried every product on the market, I don't think you can make a statement like "the only transmission additve worth a flip is."

From the information I've found, Trans-X is a typical "seal in a can" like the hundreds of products that claim (and probably succeed) at the exact same thing. Perhaps you should rephrase with a more objective (and thus, credible) statement like "I tried it and it stopped my trans from leaking" ?

6th Grade

You mean it's a product you sell?

Unless you have tried every product on the market, I don't think you can make a statement like "the only transmission additve worth a flip is."

From the information I've found, Trans-X is a typical "seal in a can" like the hundreds of products that claim (and probably succeed) at the exact same thing. Perhaps you should rephrase with a more objective (and thus, credible) statement like "I tried it and it stopped my trans from leaking" ?
    No. I don't sell it. I've NEVER sold it. I have used it.

I used to buy old junk-ish cars for practically nothing that still had a little life in them and go through them, spending no more than about $250-300 on parts. The car cost anywhere from $100-500.

Most of them had never had their transmissions serviced. Being that if push came to shove I could have my buddy go through the transmission if the fluid change killed it, I'd change the fluid and sometimes the filter.

Most of the time, the really bad ones wouldn't shift right or at all after I changed the fluid. On the ones that a second fluid change wouldn't fix, I'd use Trans-X. That brought a lot of them back. I'd drive them real hard for a day, dump the fluid one more time, and put straight fluid (no Trans-X) back in them and they worked fine.

Then I'd sell the car and make a modest profit.

It was fine until I burnt out and ran out of available time to do such "hobbies".

And the guy who used to build my trannies is the one that recommended it. I tried a few others in an effort to save a couple bucks, but the only one that ever worked for me was the K&W stuff. And leaks don't bother me. I couldn't care less, unless the front seal is leaking.

Just like Berrymans, Techron, or BG are the only injector cleaners that I've ever seen do anything.

Just like Redline synthetic ATF is junk and eats racing transmissions.

Sorry you don't like people who have a somewhat informed opinion that differs with yours.

I did not proclaim to be the additive guru. Quit acting like I think I have the final word.

Overdrive
    I guess I struck a nerve.

Something tells me this holy water isn't going to cure Z28Driver's transmission woes, anyways.

2nd Gear
    Z28, check your trans cooler lines, the cooler itself, and the radiator tanks for damage, kinks, or internal restrictions.....

you can get an aftermarket cooler that zip-ties to the radiator for pocket change at pepboys......

6th Grade

Something tells me this holy water isn't going to cure Z28Driver's transmission woes, anyways.
    It might, but at 50k miles with problems already, it probably won't.

4th Gear

It might, but at 50k miles with problems already, it probably won't.
    I've read that the valve body assembly has gone out on some S-cars as soon as 30k miles...i can understand breakage but a transmission at 50k

5th Gear
    I think just about all addatives are 100% snake oil......?
    :roll:
    My experience is, I used one of the additives that claims to stop slip, and was impressed withthe difference it made.

The car, '83 skylark (buick version of citation) with a V6/auto combo.

The car had about 70k miles on it in '95 when I decided to see if could get it moving again. It would slip from a start, and not shift into second without slipping alot too, but after the "treatment" it drove fine as long as you were not too enthusiastic with the throttle.

History:
    My partner had parked it about 5 years before(1995) when it started giving him problems, but we were able to keep it until '99 as a spare vehicle, and used it when other were in the shop, then sold it for $100 after buying the Passat.

4th Gear
    Just like Berrymans, Techron, or BG are the only injector cleaners that I've ever seen do anything.
    gotta give props to Berrymans!

Mom's 2000 Dodge Carvan had was having a rough idle at about 40k, put a can of Berrymans B-12 in with the next tank of gas, idle was smooth as butter.

-Nick

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information