Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

How to clean leather seats

8K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  dougmcp 
#1 ·
I have a bottle of Mequiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner, however, what is the best way to apply to perforated leather seats as it tends to fill up the holes? Any tips would be appreciated.

#3 ·
I've used scotch brite (the green side) with leather cleaner lotion. Apply it gently in a circular motion and have a clean towel ready to wipe the dirt off. Don't put too much pressure because this will surely fill in the holes with the leather cleaner.

After I was done, the seats looked like they were brand new and felt like they were!

#5 ·
Not to knock the scotch-brite idea but it is pretty aggressive and will scratch the leather. Try some on the back of your hand under running water and test it yourself. Hand massaging the cleaner in and hand polishing with a buff cloth is the only way to go.

#6 ·
Thanks for the cautionary advise dougmcp :thumbup: The thought of scratching the leather material was already taken into serious consideration and that is why i used it very very very lightly. I used a cloth and the yellow side of the scotch-brite before with leather cleaner but for me it didn't work quite effectively. But keep in mind, this is not something you do on a regular basis :)

It had taken years and years of ownership to have this much stain and dirt so I doubt i'll be doing it again soon. Its just a matter of maintaining it from now on. If its something light or somewhat light-moderate dirt, then cloth and cleaner would do. :thumbup:

#11 ·
I use a gel conditioner on my perforated seats all the time .. matter of fact yesterday. I apply the gel to a M/F cloth and rub it into the cloth with my fingers then apply it to the seats. Goes on even and doesn't fill the holes.

I pre-clean the seats using the Woolite Solution.

#13 ·
No photos, but I cleaned my leather interior today using a two stage process.

I spray and let sit for a few minutes a product called Zelikovitz Professional Leather Garment & Upholstery Cleaner.

Once it soaks in, I rub it off with a separate, clean cloth.

Let sit for 30 min to dry.

Then apply Wurth saBesto Leather Care generously, giving it some grunt as I rub it in. Let sit for five to 10 minutes, then rub off with a separate, clean cloth and voila, c'est fini.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.