Does using white vinegar strip wax?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    What time is Matlock on?

Does using white vinegar strip wax?

Got some massive water spots on both windows and paint....if I use white vinegar to remove them, as discussed in another "wax on, wax off" thread, will it strip the wax/sealant I have? Don't wanna do that.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Maybe windows, never tried it on paint. don't know if I want to....

B-5
    The "Odd" one
    Are you talking about hard water spots...that dont come off with claying. I was told the only way to get those out was to wetsand.

What time is Matlock on?
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    Maybe windows, never tried it on paint. don't know if I want to....
    Yeah, I'm skeptical too....thought I'd post it up and see if anyone has tried it. I DEFINITELY need it on my windows. This weekend is gonna be fun (oil/filter change with new pella extractor, polishing FMIC and piping, angle grinding some stuff on my lower front bumper , etc).

What time is Matlock on?
    Quote Originally Posted by B-5 View Post
    Are you talking about hard water spots...that dont come off with claying. I was told the only way to get those out was to wetsand.
    Yes...but they came off last time I claybar'd...I just have some more from watering the yard and don't feel like going through that grueling process again......

BTW Pete....did you pick up that MKIII supercharged GTI

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by swcrow17 View Post
    Got some massive water spots on both windows and paint....if I use white vinegar to remove them, as discussed in another "wax on, wax off" thread, will it strip the wax/sealant I have? Don't wanna do that.....
    Water spots are usually an alkaline base. If it does not come off with washing then it is already through your wax and attached to the paint. Stripping the wax off is your least concern, it's already been compromised by the water spots. A vinegar solution is the acid required to neutralize the alkaline and eliminate the water spots and only works on light spotting, anything more than that may require more drastic measures like wet sanding, buffing and polishing.

Redline
    Clay barring shouldn't be that big a deal. You can also use #0000 steel wool and a car polish. You can also wetsand but if you thought claying the glass sucked, start sanding it and see how much fun you're having.

What time is Matlock on?
    Eh, I just associate clay bar'ing with the whole 8 step process, and I had to borrow a PC last time....time to pony up and buy one I suppose!Thanks!

5th Gear
    Use a mix of Dawn Dish soap and clay bar to remove wax. Works magic!

Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by swcrow17 View Post
    Eh, I just associate clay bar'ing with the whole 8 step process, and I had to borrow a PC last time....time to pony up and buy one I suppose!Thanks!
    Why? Most of the time you can get by with claying and waxing. You only need to polish if you have some swirls or worse to remove.

Confused
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
    Water spots are usually an alkaline base. If it does not come off with washing then it is already through your wax and attached to the paint. Stripping the wax off is your least concern, it's already been compromised by the water spots. A vinegar solution is the acid required to neutralize the alkaline and eliminate the water spots and only works on light spotting, anything more than that may require more drastic measures like wet sanding, buffing and polishing.
    x2. I used a 50/50 mix of distilled water and white vinegar to get rid of light spotting, but it does strip the wax. I only do the "acid wash" when I'm doing a full detail (polishing, etc), since I want all the wax off the car anyway. PM me if you want any advice!

BTW: Claying also strips the wax, so I don't think there is anyway around reapplying your wax.

What time is Matlock on?
    Quote Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
    Why? Most of the time you can get by with claying and waxing. You only need to polish if you have some swirls or worse to remove.
    Good point Q_S....I guess it's because I only associate claying and waxing WITH polishing cause I do them all at the same time 2x a year. I'll keep that in mind.....seeing as how I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally need to now that someone used my trunk as a coaster

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information