Can't get Piston to push back in on rear breaks
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Can't get Piston to push back in on rear breaks

Does anyone have a special way to get the piston back in? I have the tool. Is there a point of no return? Do I need new calipers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Resident a-hole knowitall
    you need a VAGCOM to release the rear breaks in order to get the piston to go back in.

Neutral
    What is this and how do we do it? The car is on jacks, just ordered new calipers.

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    http://www.ross-tech.com/
    cant do it without it.
    look through the garage forum, there is a post about how to do these brakes.
    Quick Link MASTER at your service.Forum Moderator.

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar

Neutral
    I called the dealer and they said we wouldn't need anything special but the tool. So I don't understand why this is needed.

1st Gear
    You can not force the piston back like a normal car with the brake piston tool. As posted above you need a vag-com to retract your piston because of the electronic parking brake on the Passat.

Find someone with a vag-com in your area to help.

http://www.vagcomlocator.com/

did you just say passat or a B6 passat, that is the question.

Neutral
    I am new to this so I don't know what a B6 is. I have a 2008 Passat 2.0L Turbo. We don't have the money to by any program to do this. I am freaking out here. The shop was going to charge 400 bucks, I should have done that because now if we have to buy new calipers it is going to cost 756, live and learn I guess. Can we discount the battery or take out a fuse or something for the parking break?

1st Gear
    You have a B6. B6 is the model code VW uses for 06-10 Passats.

I'm a little confused on your caliper situation. In your other post you state you alreay bought new calipers. Which is it? Either way you likely don't need them, you just need to retact the pistons via vag-com.

If you go to the link I posted you may be able to find someone who has the vag-com software/cable to help you. Just put in your state and it will give you a list of people willing to help. Some may charge a fee, others don't.

Neutral
    I can't buy the software. Is there any other options?

1st Gear
    yes the vag-com locator link that I posted ^^^ up there. These are people who have what you need and are willing to help. Some for a small fee, other do it free. Put in your state and search. It's really that easy.

Neutral
    Thanks, I e=mailed someone. We did order new calipers because we couldn't get the piston in. My husband things he may of damaged something too trying to work on the piston and getting mad... So I just don't understand why it is so hard. When we called the dealer, to order the new calipers, the dealer gave him a tool and said he should have no problems getting in the piston and to call tomorrow if we need to cancel the order. My husband works for a body shop so he works with the service department a lot. So I just don't understand why now everyone is saying we need this VAGCOM software.

Neutral
    Will the new Calipers also need this software or can we just put back on and be done with this nightmare?

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Krebs, if you open your User CP and put in the pertinent info - your location in particular, one of us might be near your area and can help you out.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    one more thing - you only need ONE thread here. Scott closed one, and I've closed the other two that you started.

let's keep all the info in one spot, please.

people have told you that in order to do the rear brakes, you need a VAG-COM. continuing to post about the brakes in mulitple threads won't change that fact.

the person at the dealer must not know shit about VW's

1st Gear
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...&highlight=diy
    use this it might help.
    and as stated above you have ELECTRONIC parking brakes in the rear which REQUIRES that you use the vag-com to operate the MOTOR which will open and close your calipers. good luck seems like you need it

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottPassat2.8 View Post
    the person at the dealer must not know shit about VW's
    x2 and b6's expecially

Neutral
    Sorry for all the threads.

1st Gear
    you could also look here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-in-the-thread

but there is a way to change the brakes with out the vagcom. i remember reading months ago that a few ppl have done it perfectly fine without a vagcom here's a quote from this thread Rear brakes/rotors help
    You can still do the rear brakes without using the VAG-COM to retract the pistons. Pull the wire harness off of the electric parking brake and use a jumper wire to run the motor. There is only two terminals, so switch the wires if the piston drives out. You will hear the motor working for a while and no movement. When the motor noise changes, then it is retracted. From there just use a regular caliper tool to push in the piston. Install new pads and away you go.

I read a bunch of posts about fault codes, burning motors out, etc. This was quick and easy to do, and since I don't have access to a VAG-COM for the B6/CAN Bus, it was my only choice besides actually paying to have the job done. B64MO on the Vortex forums posted it and it worked well for me.
    you can try those wires to get the piston to come out and flip it to push in. good luck

1st Gear
    here's another thread that i answered to: Help!! Need help with rear brakes

by RedWabbitVR at VWvortex:
    ok few things I noticed that I didn't have issues with. I did my brakes last year. I don't have access to vag com. but I know my way around brakes. I have a 06 2.0t and had no codes after doing mine without vag com and a battery charger. I removed the rear brake caliper by just taking it off, it took a little pressure but it still slid off. I had to twist mine then press it in till it was all the way depressed. but instead of letting the brake fluid go back into the reservoir( which causes the codes cause it messes with the sensors) crack the bleeder screw and all the brake fluid comes out not messing with any sensors. took me about 30 minutes to change them out with a jack and of course the other hand tools. simple and fast. still had no codes

Neutral
    thank you, that is what we are going to try. We finally got a hold of a VW tech that said even though the car has an electric parking break and the software makes things easier, there is always another way. Because the parking break is set, that just means that the piston on one side is not going to go all the way in. So if you use the C-Clamp and the bleeder to release pressure, you will get it in as far as it would be in with the parking brake, then get everything together best you can.

Start the car, put in neutral and you can adjust even more. So we are going to try that. If not, we do have replacement calipers on the way and a tow truck if needed.

2nd Gear
    Like to know if that worked Krebs132528.

26. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information