EPC Light and Stalled Engine
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

EPC Light and Stalled Engine

2010 Passat 2.0 TSI with 3917 miles

I was in the fast lane doing about 75, the cars in front of me all started panic breaking, I had to stab the brakes, as the car dipped the EPC came on and "Check engine" blinked in the MFI .... I never came to a stop, maybe slowed to 30, then when I went to hit the gas - the car started sputtering and got worse and worse. I pulled over and she stalled, it... would start right back up, then stall out again.

This happened once before, just without the stalling - I stabbed the brakes and the EPC came on and "Check engine" blinked in the MFI, but no CEL. I drove home fine and the next day when I started the engine, there was no check engine light or EPC.... That was about 2 weeks ago - then this.

Towed to dealer using VW roadside assistance, driving a Hyundai Accent loaner
    Waiting to hear from them

Any Clues?
    Last edited by Rook; 08-04-2010 at 10:04 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Hope you turned your APR off. GL!

Neutral
    Buddy of mine with FSI is saying the exact thing happened to him, bad fuel pump.... waiting for his description of "exact thing"

Neutral
    Dealer just called - they are stumped and waiting for VOA super tech to call them back - The codes are:

P0321 Ign./Distributor Eng.Speed Inp.Circ Range/Performance
    P0341 Camshaft Pos.Sensor Circ Range/Performance
    P2138 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch

Neutral
    Someone said it was a wiring harness issue and that there is a TSB on it and he's surprised VW wasn't aware of it.

1st Gear
    more likely the dealer just sucks and doesn't want to do the TSB, even though they should no questions asked.

Hopefully a quick easy fix and your back on the road!

Neutral
    Dealer said the TSB doesn't apply to my car -
    VW super tech recommended swapping in a new crank sensor.... odd, and of course it did nothing.

I wish there was a way to get copies of these TSB's

My car has been at VW for a week and my loaner is a POS Hyundai Accent with the worst slushbox on the planet....

Neutral
    Okay - Crank sensor was a no go, but they did get the car running long enough to get very odd crank sensor readings.

This could really confuse the computer and keep the car from running.

VW is telling the tech that this has cropped up in a few other circumstances, and they think it might be with the crank sensor reflector (the wheel that the sensor reads as it spins)

Apparently these used to be made of machined steel, but now they are stamped metal..... which could be a production problem.

They are dropping the oil pan to see if they can see any visual problems with this wheel.

If there is a problem, they will replace my engine with a new one!!!

They don't do crank tear downs on cars with 3000 miles on them.

I mentioned I'd most likely want to sell the car back to them and get a whole new vehicle, and he mentioned that is certainly a possibility.

I asked him why the symptoms of crank position anomalies would only occur under hard braking and he had no answer for me....

I will find out something this afternoon.

Neutral
    I went in to the stealership on Saturday to get some things out of my car.

The entire interior was pulled apart along with the transmission sitting next to my car.

I am really going to push for a new car, my car has 3917 miles on it and now has been completely taken apart.

Apparently I need a whole engine wiring harness, which for some odd reason is VIN specific. That may take a few weeks to get, then a two days to fix.

They happily got me out of the piece of shit Hyundai Accent into a slightly better Hyundai Elantra. Driving an Accent is like punishment, horrible steering, brakes, anemic engine, transmission made of rubber and jello..... shitty interior, a death wobble at 75mph, droning noise interior, and the looks of an aborted egg. The Elantra is a 100 times better, but still has issues, Same wobble at 75mph - but at least now I have central locks so I don't have to go to each door when I load and unload the kids.
    It's quieter inside and it can actually get out of it's own way... even though the transmission seems to hunt for a gear if you move the gas pedal in any way.

Then VW called and said it would be 6 to 8 weeks for my wiring harness.

Since my car is such low miles, anything over 30 days in Maryland falls under the Lemon Law and they must replace my car.

Started Lemon Law paperwork last week and sent a followup letter today requesting vehicle replacement.

Yesterday: Now they say my car will be fixed in a week....

Today - Just called me again and said the part arrived and I should have my car back tomorrow !!!

Amazing how the threat of utilizing the states' lemon law got their butts moving.

(Maryland's Lemon Law is pretty clear that a dealer must replace my car if it is in the shop for 30 consecutive days)

Hopefully this will all be over tomorrow.

3rd Gear
    Good luck, hopefully they actually fixed the problem.

Neutral
    Nope - harness didn't work.
    Next step is a new ECU, another week expected.

Neutral

Did you get the new car???

Sounds very similar to what happened to me (Engine Fault / Car won't start" posted 17 August 2010).

Who do I have to contact at VW??? They should recall the whole model I believe.

Neutral
    ECU had water in it - not covered under warranty

I'll report back later
    Last edited by Rook; 08-31-2010 at 05:17 PM.

6th Gear
    Get out of that car quick!

Neutral
    Not what you think - car was not flooded

Neutral
    Saw the same post on vwvortex and had just one question... was the car 100% stock when it happened?

Neutral
    No - of course not.

Funny - is when the car first stalled out, I called APR first because I thought it might have been an security issue or the like. They assured me that the ecu upgrade had nothing to do with the problem I was having.

This is the reason I did not mention the ecu upgrade to the the service department, if I had, the bill would have been more than half of what it came to because they spent so much time trying to find the problem. The car was throwing such strange codes, they were chasing ghosts ....

They even checked out my two mods - HID upgrade and European Cupholder, to make sure they didn't effect the problem I was having.

I will give a shout out to the dealer for being so understanding with me after it became clear the ECU was the problem and that it had been tampered with, even though I repeatedly denied ECU modification when asked. Only because I was assured by both APR and the installer that the ECU could not be responsible for the issues I was having.

Neutral
    Situation was all cleared up by the installer. all parties involved did a stand up job!

3rd Gear
    glad to hear it!

Neutral
    Yeah - just want to make it clear that this was not a manufacturers defect

In fact - my car is back under factory warranty

Neutral

I had similar occurrence

2006 2.0T bought w/ 52k miles 10 months ago

It started giving me "Check Engine" light at around 60k mi from time to time

At about 70-75k miles... Light stayed on

I now have 94k mi and I was driving today back and forth from San Diego to Los Angeles... EPC started flickering only when I hit the gas all the way down (to pass someone) and car stalls for a bit.

Not sure what it can be, but I know when "Check Engine" light first came on I was told it was an "Evac" code!!!

I'll update after going to shop!!!

Forgot to mention... I've never done ANY service on it... I've only re-fill the oil with Motul 5w40 about every 1-1.5k miles, I ad a Liter (quart).
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-.../Oil/ES261380/
    or
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-.../Oil/ES261381/

which i get @ my local NAPA Auto Parts
    Last edited by yehudah72; 09-07-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Neutral
    Hi Rook, Would you mind clearing up exactly what happened with your car?
    *You got a shiny new car
    *You installed HID & cupholder
    *You ?did not? chip it?
    *The ECU got wet exactly how?
    *Then the fahvergnugen was temporarily misplaced but now it has returned after the engine & interior were reassembled by an upstanding installer?dealership?

Bottom line? The car was a gem and if you had not modded it, you'd never have had a lick of trouble?

Confused in Grand Rapids

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by anemic View Post
    Hi Rook, Would you mind clearing up exactly what happened with your car?
    *You got a shiny new car
    *You installed HID & cupholder
    *You ?did not? chip it?
    *The ECU got wet exactly how?
    *Then the fahvergnugen was temporarily misplaced but now it has returned after the engine & interior were reassembled by an upstanding installer?dealership?

Bottom line? The car was a gem and if you had not modded it, you'd never have had a lick of trouble?

Confused in Grand Rapids
    Ha ha - I like the way you ask.

*You got a shiny new car - Yep
    *You installed HID & cupholder - Yep
    *You ?did not? chip it? - I had it chipped with APR software
    *The ECU got wet exactly how? Never got wet, but on the MKVI the ecu must be opened to reset it and allow the flash. The unit was not properly sealed and moisture condensated inside. This caused a rapid corrosion and ultimately my car wouldn't run - less than 2 weeks after the work was done

The dealer did everything possible to find out what was wrong with my car and finally checked the ecu, which had obvious signs of being opened. Warranty was voided and I had to pay a LOT of money to get my car back.

I went to APR and the installer with my bill and they reimbursed me - excellent service! From what I understand - my big bill has gotten APR to change their MKVI ecu programming procedures and the way they deal with customers who call them to tell them they have a problem prior to building up a 25 day repair bill at the dealer.

Bottom line - The car is a gem and if I had not modded it, you'd never have had a lick of trouble? Of course - if the ecu had been sealed, I'd never have a problem either.

Neutral
    Wow. I'm glad you got the farvergnugen back.

So Rook, the car she feels pretty quick eh? Yet, I dont blame you - 6 bills for 250hp280ft-lbs is such a great bang for the buck! What would you recommend now - different chip vendor? stock? give APR another chance because they stood behind you?

6th Gear
    Dammmmm so in all your car got totally molested (Cavity searched), a voided warranty, & Hyundai Elantra/accent as a loaner ..... Couldn't even give you a VW as a loaner

lesson learned : no chip for me

Neutral
    Well - I already paid for the APR software, so when I can get the time, I am having the ECU flashed again. APR is the only chip tuner I'd ever use - they also did my Jetta.

Since the car is just my daily driver, with car seats in the back - I don't do much WOT. I did notice the chip provides much more low end grunt, and I miss it now that I'm unflashed.

My warranty has been reinstated - because the dealership did all the work to factory specs (and I paid for it)

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Well - I already paid for the APR software, so when I can get the time, I am having the ECU flashed again. APR is the only chip tuner I'd ever use - they also did my Jetta.

Since the car is just my daily driver, with car seats in the back - I don't do much WOT. I did notice the chip provides much more low end grunt, and I miss it now that I'm unflashed.

My warranty has been reinstated - because the dealership did all the work to factory specs (and I paid for it)
    which dealer u go to ?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by passat for me View Post
    which dealer u go to ?
    See PM

30. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information