Key not working
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Key not working

Neutral

Key not working

All of sudden my key stopped working, my wife's key does, I thought it might of been the battery so I replaced that and still didnt work. I have seem somethings say, stick the emergency key in the door and then start the car with the other part of the key, but my driver door has no key hole. I have been able to start the car with my key but havent been able to use the bottons to lock/unlock and trunk... Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    There is a key hole in the door. You use the emergency key to pry off the key hole cover. Look at the door handle on the driver side. On the right hand side of the handle look below the handle. You will see a rectangular hole your key goes in. Pry up gently. Not high tech but it is what it is. I would say your electronic key is dead or possibly a reprogram needed. Either way you will need a trip to the deal.

Neutral
    I have just had the same problem. I also replaced the battery and the fob still doesn't work. The key will start and run the car, but it won't unlock the door, pop the trunk or sound an alarm. The wife's key works just fine.

What the heck is going on?

Neutral
    exact same problem here
    Really hope I don't need to visit the main dealer

Neutral
    I had a similar problem a couple of times, the fob won't lock the car or open the trunk. Then after starting the car again, turning it off, getting out of the car, it works just fine. Go figure....

Neutral
    Right then I've sussed it.
    With the car locked, use the plastic key to unlock the door and with the alarm sounding insert your fob into the ignition thingy, the alarm should stop.
    Now remove the fob shut the door and try your fob.
    Worked for me

Good Luck
    Last edited by pastylover; 05-01-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo

Neutral
    I was able to fix the key but when I reprogrammed it the airbag fault code started popping up again... I had it fixed once before but it seems like an electrical thing not hardware now...

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information