Replacing Headlight Bulbs
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Replacing Headlight Bulbs

I need to replace the headlight bulbs on a 2006 Passat. I know it is a relatively simply fix. I have done it on other cars, but not a VW. Does anyone have a picture diagram or step by step instructions for replacing headlight bulbs. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    easiest thing you will ever do! I thought it would take an hour or longer took me 10 minutes on the driver and 3 on the passenger. never asked for help just used my wifes compact mirror and sat there for a while looking how it worked. no tools required just need gloves

4th Gear
    Firstly !

Then look here. It is on the B5 Info Forum ...

3rd Gear
    since the question is already answered on the 'tex....

if you hellas (it will say on the assembly)
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?&id=2706234

and...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4161259

Neutral
    For the 06 Passat without Hid's. All you need to do is pull off the rubber cover and then pull the bulb out. Then, separate it from the plug. To put it back just line it up and push back in.

Neutral
    Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread, but I can't for the life of me remove the driver's side lowbeam headlight. I am afraid of breaking the connector. I have the pdf that is supposed to be helpful, but its not very. It specifies that I "Push harness connector and thereby the lamp socket in - direction of arrow - until the lamp can be felt as loose." But the arrow in the diagram is not very distinct.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

3rd Gear
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NETHED View Post
    Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread, but I can't for the life of me remove the driver's side lowbeam headlight. I am afraid of breaking the connector. I have the pdf that is supposed to be helpful, but its not very. It specifies that I "Push harness connector and thereby the lamp socket in - direction of arrow - until the lamp can be felt as loose." But the arrow in the diagram is not very distinct.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    if you can't get it out...take it to the dealer, better then breaking something.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by NETHED View Post

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    First identify which headlight you have (there should be a sticker that says Valeo or Hella)

Hella : twist & pull to remove (lefty loosey)
    Valeo:
    -early 06-07: just pull
    -late 08+: twist & pull to remove (lefty loosey)

2nd Gear
    easiest thing i have done

Neutral
    X2

Our headlight went out yesterday and I just knew I was going to have to take the car to the dealer to have it replaced.

Valeo headlamp pulled right out. Thanks.

Neutral
    I never saw a brand name on the headlight assembly but it did twist out, though I had to use a tool, it was more than finger-tight.

Unfortunately, now the high-beams don't work. That's odd, because those are isolated from the low-beam lamps.

Update; A few days after I posted this message, I realized that the guy at the inspection place, who'd helpfully tried to replace the bulb, had left the hi-beam disconnected. All better now.
    Last edited by JohnOrganic; 12-01-2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Update

Neutral

What do I pull on exactly?

I'm trying to pull the low-beam bulb out of my 2006 B6, and it won't budge. I tried using some pliers, and just managed to bend part of the bulb's male connectors. Pulling on the plug just unplugs it. It's a Valeo.

What should I be grabbing to pull it out? Here's a picture.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by MP33dave View Post
    if you can't get it out...take it to the dealer, better then breaking something.
    pay the dealer to break it for you.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by corradog60stage4 View Post
    pay the dealer to break it for you.
    I predict that next year's model will require you to bring the car to the dealer for washes.

Neutral
    Hello ....guys mine is with Bi Xenon and AFS...any pictures or some PDF how to change the bulb...i heard that i need to remove the bumber.....Thank you
    Mario(Passat-B6-2007)

Neutral

easy-peezie

i registered on this site just so i can post a reply. I am a 06' VW Passat 4Motion owner. I am far from a mechanic and happen to be female. I was told it was going to cost $200.00 to replace one low beam in my car. A second opinion confirmed about the same price. I was told you have to remove the bumper just to change the light!!! I searched google and found this thread. it took me 15 minutes to change. i used a small mirror and flashlight to locate the casing for the light. lefty-loosy and pop... out it came. i wanted to register here and post a reply in hopes that no one EVER pays $200 to do something so simple.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by laceadellic View Post
    i registered on this site just so i can post a reply. I am a 06' VW Passat 4Motion owner. I am far from a mechanic and happen to be female. I was told it was going to cost $200.00 to replace one low beam in my car. A second opinion confirmed about the same price. I was told you have to remove the bumper just to change the light!!! I searched google and found this thread. it took me 15 minutes to change. i used a small mirror and flashlight to locate the casing for the light. lefty-loosy and pop... out it came. i wanted to register here and post a reply in hopes that no one EVER pays $200 to do something so simple.
    they must have thought you had the oem bi-xenon headlights bc if tht was the case you would need to drop the bumper cover

Neutral
    Hi all, my wife has a 2009 passat and the low beam just went out, went to a parts shop, they look up the vehicle and give me a H7 light. So I go to change it and notice that the HIGH beam is an H7 but the low beam... I don't know if I have the bixenon(?), don't even know what that is, but looking from the front of the vehicle, the low beam is seems to be a baseball sized foggy lens thingy, that's about as accurate as I can put it into words. I took a look yesterday and pulled that big rubber cover off the back, and reached in and touched the wires, but I didn't want to mess around too much til I got a definitive answer so I put it all back together. Is this something I can change out myself or is this one of those "drop the bumper. only a dealer can do it" issues?

EDIT: Ok, so I called the dealer and they said it's a normal halogen, H7 and I can buy one from them for $19.95... Or I can just use the one I got for $7. Can I just reach in and twist/pull/pop it out?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyasian1 View Post
    Hi all, my wife has a 2009 passat and the low beam just went out, went to a parts shop, they look up the vehicle and give me a H7 light. So I go to change it and notice that the HIGH beam is an H7 but the low beam... I don't know if I have the bixenon(?), don't even know what that is, but looking from the front of the vehicle, the low beam is seems to be a baseball sized foggy lens thingy, that's about as accurate as I can put it into words. I took a look yesterday and pulled that big rubber cover off the back, and reached in and touched the wires, but I didn't want to mess around too much til I got a definitive answer so I put it all back together. Is this something I can change out myself or is this one of those "drop the bumper. only a dealer can do it" issues?

EDIT: Ok, so I called the dealer and they said it's a normal halogen, H7 and I can buy one from them for $19.95... Or I can just use the one I got for $7. Can I just reach in and twist/pull/pop it out?

Both the High beam and low beam each, take H7.

low beams are twist-pull and high beams are pull only

this is something you should be able to do without dropping the bumper

The dealership price is overpriced for the same exact bulb, which will have reduced life compared to the factory bulbs, about 500 hours (aftermarket) vs 900 hours (factory)

Neutral
    Outstanding! I'll take a crack at it tonight. Thanks Dark Helmet!

Neutral

Anyone running HID's on the early friction fit valeos?

Which kit did you use? and did you have to modify the bulb holder at all?

My original plan was to use D2R bulbs with the H7 adapters but for some reason
    I cannot get the bulb and adapter to stay put. I think the adapters might be
    too thick and that is preventing the clips on the bulb holder from holding them
    properly.

I would still prefer the D2R bulbs if anyone has any suggestions.

Neutral
    Could have sworn I clicked new thread..

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by v b chil-n View Post
    Which kit did you use? and did you have to modify the bulb holder at all?

My original plan was to use D2R bulbs with the H7 adapters but for some reason
    I cannot get the bulb and adapter to stay put. I think the adapters might be
    too thick and that is preventing the clips on the bulb holder from holding them
    properly.

I would still prefer the D2R bulbs if anyone has any suggestions.
    because there is no spring clip that goes across the bulb... there is no way it holds secure. you've have to get a rebased bulb.

Neutral
    I need help. The drivers side parking light works intermitently. It is the orange bulb in the headlight assembly. I have tried to remove it but while I can barely reach it, I can not grab it well enough to twist or pull it out. Any ideas why it works sometimes and not others. Also how can I get the whole head light assembly out. There are two screws on top but it appears to be fastentened from below.

26. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information