Low tire pressure warning
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Low tire pressure warning

Started my '07 this morning, 18" wheels, 16k miles, and the low pressure warning is in my display. Never had it come on before. Pressure showed about 28-31psi across all 4 tires, req'd is 33psi. Filled all 4 up to about 33psi, started car and message still shows. I made sure caps were screwed on tight, msg still shows. Any thoughts? Unfortunately this system doesn't say which tire is low. I'm still under warranty but I'd like to save a trip to the dealer if possible.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Blog Entries
    Did this happen after the 18's were put on? Some tires are not compatible with the tire pressure system. My Kumho's i guess are not b/c I have the same message on my dash too.

1st Gear
    I have the same damn message for the past three weeks. I had a flat and replaced the tire and still have the message. I am about to find someone w/vag com and shut the tpms off. I have been told that it needs to be reset after getting a warning.

Neutral
    I was having the same problem after getting a nail in the right rear tire. I got a new tire, but couldn't get the tpms warning to ever go away. Even went back to the tire shop to have them check the sensor. The "fix" was to pump up the tire to 36psi first and then lower to 33. It seems that the sensors don't always reset correctly and need to have a higher pressure to reset, then they work.

1st Gear
    These are the OEM tires / wheels, never had a problem with them till this morning. I may try the over inflate technique and see if that works. I can get it fixed under warranty if I have to. I was reading the manual and it states that if you change to new wheels that don't have sensors the TPMS won't activate since there is no signal being sent. I don't really need the function anyway since I already keep an eye on it. I'll keep you posted..

3rd Gear
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by silvergc View Post
    I was having the same problem after getting a nail in the right rear tire. I got a new tire, but couldn't get the tpms warning to ever go away. Even went back to the tire shop to have them check the sensor. The "fix" was to pump up the tire to 36psi first and then lower to 33. It seems that the sensors don't always reset correctly and need to have a higher pressure to reset, then they work.
    Did the over inflate work for you?? Did it reset?

1st Gear
    Silvergc, the over inflation worked! This morning I filled all 4 to about 40psi. Plugged in the key and the message was gone. Went back and let air out to 33-34psi and everything is good. Thanks again for the great tip.

6th Gear
    great to know this ...... one less problem to look up in the future for me

3rd Gear
    Blog Entries
    For some reason this method of over inflating didn't work for me...light is still on. I wonder if there is a reset of some sort too??

1st Gear
    FYI, per the manual if the light stays on after fill-up the sensor could be bad.

1st Gear
    Over filling worked for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the tip

Neutral
    I had this same problem last Fall when the temperature dropped along with cold tire PSI, filled all tires to the recommended PSI on door sticker. Warning Light still on, quick call to the local VW Service Dept. and the Service Manager told me to go over the recommended PSI by about 4 pounds. Added more air and problem fixed.

the deal finder!
    common problem. overinflating a bit usually fixes it.

2nd Gear
    Mine seems to trip about 38 lbs. I have been running 40 lbs in the tires and no problems and good gas milage. Anyone know if you can set the trip point with VAG-COM?

Neutral
    great to know this

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information