Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

The 14yr old gets a refresh. 2014 makeover

46K views 168 replies 31 participants last post by  tdogg74 
#1 ·
Hey all. :salute:

Been a rough couple past years. Had my 4th child, lost my job, scraped by to pay bills for 8 months while I searched for a job, blah blah blah. Raised the car because it was making my boys car sick (lol). Stupidly sold off my side skirts. One of my winglets got taken out by a beaver that wanted a closer look at my front tire.

Car looked like this last summer.

I shaved and added a lip to my Zender trunk spoiler. DTM muffler, and spray bombed wheels.

So this year I finally was able to sell my Mercedes wheels and sold em for $400 to a cool local dude. So between that and a sh*t-load of credit card points I COMPLETELY forgot about, I was able to scrounge an $800ish budget for this year.

So, with what I had, I got the following items...

First things first was to replace my winglets. So I hit up gerwazy to see if he had any left, and I got his last set! Awesome guy and awesome to do business with. (thanks dude)

Second was wheels. I had been going back and forth for months on the 'look' for this year. Was trying to decide on either a square set of all black 18x9 et30 10-spokes, or a square set of 18x9.5 et40 CCW reps. In the end, the reps won out because I knew the fitment would have been perfect. So I snaked these...

Tires will be 225/40-18 GT Radial Champiro UHP1's. (still on order) Also picked up a set of hidden valve stems. Had them on the wheels on my old MKIII. So stealth. Much wow.

And lastly, Votex rep fiberglass sideskirts. I believe these are the same as the ones I previously had; Fiberglass slip-ons. I would HIGHLY recommend buying from this guy. He sells on Ebay:
items in b5 store on eBay!
But you are better getting a-hold of Paul direct on email here: cwc.carswantschange@gmail.com . Shipping took less than two weeks from Poland, and they arrived well packaged and in-tact. Cost was $142 shipped. Cannot beat that. I'm happy.

Thats about it. Im looking to come up with something like this once I can get the parts painted......

I'll post more as I do things...but it probably wont be until it gets closer to spring.

See less See more
#55 ·
Its from Extreme Dimensions. Welcome to Extreme Dimensions :: Inventory Item :: 1998-2001 Volkswagen Passat Duraflex Shadow Rear Lip Under Spoiler Air Dam - 1 Piece (Clearance)

Saw it on Ebay a while ago for stupid money...plus shipping. I got it it (on clearance + VWVortex discount) for $71. Fitment isn't the best, but for the price, f*ck it, right? Its different and it's growing on me. The dipped rub strip helps with breaking up all the red.

And yea, chrome mirror caps are the second thing thats on the way. ;)

*ninja edit*

Im still debating whether or not I want to do the door rubs or not.

#59 ·
OK, so the parts I ordered on the 16th from Dubstop International hasnt come in yet. They are literally 30 miles from me. I sent an email with no response yet. I tried calling and some other guy not relate to the company answered. Said it wasnt Dubspots number anymore and gave me the number of the owner. The call goes straight to voicemail...which is full. Im going away on vacation tomorrow, so if it isnt here in a week, my credit card company is getting a phone call.

In other news, I need a new cat-back. Arent too many options out there, and they's all big money. I love the Neuspeed system, but for $999 and not even 2.5", seems silly to get it. Then there is the TT downpipe and exhaust. The aluminized system and DP will run me $670 before shipping. (another $50) Hate that there isnt many options out there. *sadface*

#63 ·
OK, so the parts I ordered on the 16th from Dubstop International hasnt come in yet. They are literally 30 miles from me. I sent an email with no response yet. I tried calling and some other guy not relate to the company answered. Said it wasnt Dubspots number anymore and gave me the number of the owner. The call goes straight to voicemail...which is full. Im going away on vacation tomorrow, so if it isnt here in a week, my credit card company is getting a phone call.
I know Rus is away, not sure who works there but I am sure he will take care of that once he gets back.

#64 · (Edited)
You don't always have to complain about every vendor that doesn't respond right away. It isn't like amazon.
With the little guys, a little up front communication helps a lot.

Personally, the black roof looks great on CR. I wrapped Mine because the PO painted it tan.

#70 ·
Got the exhaust in finally. And it sounds NICCCCE. I'll post a vid of it once it breaks in. (21" + 14" Magnaflows are gonna take time) But idle and cruise are drone-free and it rips when I get on it. Oh, and flame-pops.

Oh, and guess what came today? Mirror caps and headlight brows. 5 weeks to ship from a town 28 miles from me. Sad. Now I have to call the CC company back. But I already got the mirror caps on. Took no time.

Here's a pic of the tips. I like them a lot better than the DTM tip muffler I had on there before.

#73 ·
The first vid I did, I had my 7yr old holding the phone and he freaked out because of the backfire pops. Had to do a second one myself.

Latest project: prime and first coat of red prime finish. I will wetsand and use the expensive paint code aerosol tomorrow to finish it.

#81 ·
There is a mom & pop auto store down the street that sells them. They arent exact ( a little on the dark side) ,but close enough. I get it as close as possible with the red you see above, then do the final coat with the paint code Colorado Red. Its perfect from 10'....like the rest of my car. LOL.

#82 ·
So anyways, its Winter again. And it being Winter, that means WINTER PROJECT!!! YAY!!

Seeing as how the exterior is done the way I want it, I decided to finally mess with the wheels; something I had planned on doing before I mounted the tires last spring. I was originally going to color-match them, but after a few photoshop renderings, I didnt like the look. I finally settled on going with the BBS 'Prima Donna' look: Polished lips, white faces, gold bolts, and red center caps.

I finally found a site that sells fake plastic wheel rivets/bolts. So I bought a set:

Drilled out the old chrome/plastic rivets and started masking. Very hard to get right to where the faces start, so I had to use my fine motor skillz and utilize some pinstriping tape. Made it a LOT easier to lay down the masking tape:

Once I get all four wheels prepped, I can dust off my air brush kit and get inside the spokes. Totally using some Rustoleum white. It will thin nice, lay down great, and is super tough. Yea, it's not an 'ideal' paint for wheels, but using it through my air brush, I can control how it lays down. Im all about the DIY, so expect this project to come out super awesome-sauce.

I'll post more when I get everything masked off. Stay tuned.

#86 ·
I actually ended up drilling them out with a 1/2" bit. Literally took 15 minutes per wheel. I had to because the new rivets were longer than the wheel holes, and it was easier to drill them out than cut the rivets down without damaging them. Regardless, they will be significantly easier to install now because I can apply the silicone adhesive from the back now so I don't contaminate the face of the rivet.

This process is going to be slower to do everything than I want due to not much free time. But as long as I can get the insides of the spokes/lug holes/riven holes by Spring, coating the faces will be a quick process once its warm enough outside to paint.

Couple pics from Saturday...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.