Transmission oil change
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Transmission oil change

I have read, on this Forum, and with much interest, articles concerning VW's turn around policy related to transmission oil change intervals.
    My car is an 07 Passat with the BPY 2.0L Turbo, with the Tiptronic 09G automatic transmission.
    My owner's manua recommends that under normal service the automatic transmission fluid (Spec: VWG 055 025 A2) never requires changing.
    I realize that this is contrary to articles written in this Forum. The TDI is recommended every 40,000 miles.
    I have never received notice from VW concerning changing the ATF. I contacted VW and discussed this issue. VW stands firm on their recommendation of never changing the ATF on the 09G transmission. They further claimed that unless I receive notification from VW of a change in policy, the lifetime ATF still stands. Good sense suggests that they are full of crap. My car is under warranty for two more years, or 96,000 miles. Therefore a transmission failure is on their back. If it were not in warranty I would certainly change the ATF.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    BMW have the same crap policy many years ago on trans and diff. . change it if you want to keep your car for long time. Life time stands for 'warranty period' or life of the transmission. Which said when the transmission fail around 150k km, your life time ATF is due to change with the trans.
    PS. I just changed mine @105k km, the fluid is dark as hell and lot of fine metal in magnets.

1st Gear
    You are absolutely correct. Life time ends at the end of your warranty.

Neutral
    In Singapore, although agent says no need to change, we change on our own at 60,000 km.

1st Gear
    My point was that if I buy something with a "Lifetime" warranty, and the manufacturer changes their policy, the manufacture should cover the associated expense. VW's response is they have not changed their policy. Unfortunately VW also consideres "Lifetime" to be until the end of the warranty.

Neutral
    Does any body have instructions on how to change the ATF fluid , in the Tiptronic 09G?

3rd Gear
    My B6 is manual, so different but on my B5 I had the tip tranny and it was the same thing... lifetime. That said, there is a filter in there and I had mine changed at 200,000km (forced to because my tranny pan got punctured). Now, I never had a transmission issue and it always shifted smoothly.

But I was there when they opened it up and amazingly, the fluid looked pretty good. But for about $200 to change, it seems like decent insurance ever 100,000km.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Beausat View Post
    Does any body have instructions on how to change the ATF fluid , in the Tiptronic 09G?
    6 speed auto 09G ATF fluid change and filter DIY

Neutral

Transmission failure

I am needing to rebuild my 2005 passat tdi transmission but cannot find out the name of it to move forward with the project. In addition, I believe there are some improvements that have been made in order to make it bullet proof. Can someone recommend a shop that does these mods to the trans and torque converter, or where I could purchase the parts to do the job myself. I have extensive background in restoring cars and motorcycles so I am not afraid of doing the rebuild. I, however do not do this for my employment so I want to make sure that I do adequate research before i dig into the project.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaradio View Post
    I am needing to rebuild my 2005 passat tdi transmission but cannot find out the name of it to move forward with the project. In addition, I believe there are some improvements that have been made in order to make it bullet proof. Can someone recommend a shop that does these mods to the trans and torque converter, or where I could purchase the parts to do the job myself. I have extensive background in restoring cars and motorcycles so I am not afraid of doing the rebuild. I, however do not do this for my employment so I want to make sure that I do adequate research before i dig into the project.
    You might want to check with the B5 guys. One forum north of here.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42...b5-discussion/

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information