2009 Passat Rear Brake Problem
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2009 Passat Rear Brake Problem

While changing the rear brake pads on my wife's 2009 Passat ( with
    Electronic E Brakes ) I inadvertently ( Stupidly ) opened the brakes when the caliper was not seated on the rotor. I had followed the VAG-Com directions to cycle the EPB before doing the "Open Rear Parking Brake" procedure and heard the brakes open, but when I went to put in the new pads the piston wasn't open far enough to seat properly. At the time I didn't know you needed to use a clamp to push it back and thought there was something wrong, so I tried to cycle the brakes open and close again with the caliper loose from the rotor. That's where I got into trouble.

Now my E Brake light is on and the E Brake warning light is flashing when I turn the key to the on position. When I try to use the VAG-Com I can't perform any of the "basis settings" as the software gives me a message that group 006, 007 and 010 are "not available." I ran a diagnostic test and here's what came back:

1 Fault found:
    02428 - Left Parking Brake Motor (v282) Clamping Force Not Reached
    000 - - - MIL ON
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault status: 11110000
    Fault priority: 3
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 161
    Mileage: 73381 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2011.10.23
    Time: 12:48:00
    Freeze Frame:
    Voltage: 12.00 v
    Count: 2
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Hex Value: 0x1261
    Hex Value: 0x0001
    Hex Value: 0x0810

In frustration, I went to "JustAnswer.com" and tried to get help from a VW Mechanic and here's what he said to do.

You have received an Answer!

From gomi_otaku Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:55 PM EST

What you need to do now, is to unbolt the motor from the back of the caliper- it is held on with two Torx screws. Once you remove that, you will see that the shaft of the motor is a large Torx style end itself, and you can rotate the piston in and out using a large Torx head on a ratchet. You will need to compress the piston carefully, until it starts to engage the bore, then start to slide it in carefully until it stops- at that point, it should be against the motor drive cam, and if you rotate it you should be able to either feel it try to push out further, or relax and allow you to compress it in.

I followed these directions, but when I used the triple square socket to manually turn the piston it doesn't move. Using a "C" Clamp to compress it while turning the socket doesn't work either.

I have the caliper sitting on my work bench with the motor removed and need help figuring out how to get the piston to retract. If anyone can help me I'm all ears and appreciate your help greatly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Honestly, I have not tried it myself, but I have read somewhere that the brakes can be changed without Vag-com by using a power pack to physically operate the motor to open the calipers. So, I guess, it may be viable to try to jumper the motor terminals to open fully for you to complete the job. Again, I have no actual experience with this, if you think it's not a wise idea please ignore. Just trying to help.
    Good luck.

Btw, do a search in this forum, you may be able to find what I'm talking about.

3rd Gear
    Blog Entries

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information