Clunking or popping noise when turning at low speeds
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Clunking or popping noise when turning at low speeds

Hopefully some of you may have experience this. I am getting a "clunking" or "popping " sound from the front end of my B6 when I turn at low speeds; like turning into and backing out of a parking spot. It sounds like it is coming from the right front, but sometimes from the left.

The car is lowered with a set of FK coilovers approximately 1.5" - 2.0" and has 19K miles on it. I was thinking it may be the springs binding; the sway bar link causing the sway bar to bind; subframe bolts; or something else.

Has anyone experienced this with a lowered B6?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    I have same problem. I never have this problem before when was a stock. After installing Drive gear eibach springs i start noticing noise and seems like getting worst. Only at very low speeds when I am turning wheel sound like tick-tick-tick.. I assume it may be a strut bearing bad or not properly torq when reinstalled. Again it could be something in steering column. It's very hard to identify where sound coming from. Any help would be great..!!!

Neutral
    I had same problem and I brought it to dealer shop(B6 and still under warranty).
    Dealer had to change upper and lower bushing(not sure for the exact term) and asked me to drive for a while if it still make sounds. It still does, but less. I had two bushings lose, and that might cause the problem when you turn and slowly accelerates.

Neutral
    I'll get under it this weekend and check all the components. If I don't find anything, I'll try the TSB for the subframe shims and install new Audi subframe bolts. Hopefully this will work.

Neutral
    sounds like CV joints. bearings, or the struts were not set to torques during re-installation.

EASY way to check: Go to a parking lot, turn wheel hard over to one side and turn circles- Do you hear a clicking/ticking/popping noise? If yes replace the CV.
    (do test in both directions)

Second Test- Jack up car, put hands on front wheel at the 3 and 9 position and shake wheel bag and forth- Too much play? then suspect ball joints or strut torque.

Last test- Jack up front of car, place pry bar under tire and rock the tire/wheel up and down just a little- Does the tire/wheel move and wiggle like it is lose? If so then suspect failed cartridge bearing.

Neutral
    Mk5/MK6 GTI's have this issue too

Especially with aftermarket springs...the dead coils bind up & "pop"
    If that is the cause of the noise...nothing you can do about it

MK6 guys with DriverGear springs seems to be experiencing it too (this noise). I never had the noise when I had them on my GTI though...or even when I had the DG springs on my CC

Do you have shorter (sway bar) links for the FK's?

I'd check the subframe bolts as well....big culprit on these cars

2nd Gear
    it could also be the sub frame. here's a pretty simple and cheap fix from ECS

Volkswagen Passat B6 FWD 2.0T > ES#421475 Subframe Spacer Plate - Priced Each - 7M3499349A

Neutral
    Not CV joints, know all about that. Ck'd bearings, etc and no play in those. Going to ck/replace the subframe bolts and add shims.

I have the shorter swaybar links. I'm thinking it's either the subframe or the springs.

As soon as I have some results, I'll post it up.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by nparker View Post
    Not CV joints, know all about that. Ck'd bearings, etc and no play in those. Going to ck/replace the subframe bolts and add shims.

I have the shorter swaybar links. I'm thinking it's either the subframe or the springs.

As soon as I have some results, I'll post it up.

I am in same boat please keep us posted with results......

Neutral
    Would it be safe to say that by lowering these cars, a person changes the steering and suspension geometry?

Hence you reduced a factor one side of the equation so now the suspension and steering are bit unbalanced. Find out where you have to add back in to the system to rebalanced the geometry and I bet you will find the answer.

1st Gear
    When I installed my H&R lowering kit, I also installed better sway bars from H&R. I then had my alignment redone and have had no issues? I do notice a tad more noise, but not as bad as you are talking about.

4th Gear
    I've got a B5.5, and recently installed FK Streetlines. Since then, I've been getting a similar sound. I checked the top mounts and they were definitely bolted tight, so I'm wondering where to look as well. I have seen other forums where it was almost a general concensus that these coilovers are loud and do make popping/binding sounds. Not sure how similar our cars are, but I never heard this until after the install, and it was as soon as install was complete.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by nolesfan View Post
    I have seen other forums where it was almost a general concensus that these coilovers are loud and do make popping/binding sounds
    Truth. . .

Neutral
    Just wanted to post an update. I installed the TSB for the subframe bolts and shims. This got rid of minimal noise. Since this did not correct the issue, I decided to grease the helper springs on the coilovers. First tried aerosol white lithium. No improvement.

I then took out my Park green grease that I use on bicycles. Lathered up the helper springs and Voila!!! This took out about 90% of the noise. My next step will be to remove the helper springs and see if this helps and how low the car will be.

Since the car is now liveable and doesn't sound like a 40 year old, rusted out jalopy; I'll do this when I have some spare time.

Hope this helps those of you that have something similar or have FK coilovers. The coilovers on my MINI didn't make any noise (Koni) but they did not have the little helper springs.

Now onto quieting the exhaust and de-chroming the car.

Neutral
    I bet anything its your tie rod.. i had same thing..--right side.. took them using those little earphone/sizemic thingies to find it tho..... 650.00 later at the dealer with alignment and oil change..... ughh!!! But problem and clunking/popping noise gone!

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by HORSESCO View Post
    I bet anything its your tie rod.. i had same thing..--right side.. took them using those little earphone/sizemic thingies to find it tho..... 650.00 later at the dealer with alignment and oil change..... ughh!!! But problem and clunking/popping noise gone!
    If the tie rod is gone after 19K miles, I think I need to sell this thing and get something else!

From all the searches I've done on the FK coilovers, I would say that a majority of the people have noise coming from them.

Like I stated, the noise really diminished when I greased the helper springs. When I get a chance to take them out, that will be the test.

Neutral
    okay well it was just my two cents.. didn't realize you only had 19k on it.. mine had 72k when this happened. Good luck.

1st Gear
    I had the same issue at about 65k plus it creaked with low speed turns. Dealer replaced strut mounts and I think control arm bushings and it solved the problem. The clunking in mine changed with the weather and I think that was the bushings responding to change in temp and humidity?

Neutral
    Totally stock R36's tend to do this too, CV's failed for one guy at around 10,000 kms. Seems the steering rack can turn them further than they can handle and start to bind causing the clicking. Many people report it, and the reasons the dealership have come up with are hilarious. I think they hope and pray no one knows anything about cars so they can get away with spouting absolute rubbish.

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information