Programming a new key fob
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Programming a new key fob

Does anyone really know how to program a 2006 electronic key fob? I've read several "magic sequences" all having to do with
    1. placing the working fob in the ignition (without starting the car).
    2. exiting the car and using the valet key to lock the car, holding the key in the locked position.
    3. pressing the unlock button on ht new fob and holding for 2 sec. release and press again for two seconds.

Unfortunately, none of this works. The dealer wants $115 and an hour to program the dang fob.

Does anyone know the correct manner to program the fob? They would do the VW world a huge favor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    that only works for pre 2001 cars.
    dealer has to do it.
    Quick Link MASTER at your service.Forum Moderator.

1st Gear
    You need to go to the dealer. There is no way around it. Key fob has to be a match for your vehicle. You cannot just buy one off of ebay.

1st Gear
    sweet talk the dealer haha

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by cern View Post
    Does anyone really know how to program a 2006 electronic key fob? I've read several "magic sequences" all having to do with
    1. placing the working fob in the ignition (without starting the car).
    2. exiting the car and using the valet key to lock the car, holding the key in the locked position.
    3. pressing the unlock button on ht new fob and holding for 2 sec. release and press again for two seconds.

Unfortunately, none of this works. The dealer wants $115 and an hour to program the dang fob.

Does anyone know the correct manner to program the fob? They would do the VW world a huge favor.
    If it's an existing key that you need to reprogram, there are steps in the manual to do so. Off hand, I vaguely remember it's something like ==> Step 1: unlock door using manual key ==> Step 2: press unlock button on the key flop ONCE (pressing too many times may immobilise your car!).... if that don't work then Step 2: turn on power using key flop, remove and press unlock button on key flop once. I read it sometime ago, so please don't blame me if something wrong ...you can refer to manual to countercheck.
    Beware that if it's a totally new key that is unmatched to your car, it may lock up your car disabling all your existing keys!! (read this in one of the old post).
    Good luck

Neutral
    I posted this in the classified section because someone is giving away a B6 FOB
    (Remember these are only good for collectors the key fobs on the B6 are programed by the dealer hooked up to Volkswagen's manufactures computer by encrypted the dealer cannot even read the code the keys have to be ordered by the dealer and you need the car s/n and have to prove ownership. When the key comes in it still has to be program there is a rfi chip that is specific to the cars s/n then the immobilizer has to be programed to accept the key. $250.00 later I know all about this
    HTH)

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information