2.0T Engine slow to get to operating temp
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

2.0T Engine slow to get to operating temp

I have a 08 with 2.0T engine that seems to take a long time to warm up this winter and I am looking to see if anyone else experiences the same thing or is this normal.
    This winter I have noticed it can take up to 20 minutes for the temp gage to get to 200 degree F which is operating temperature.
    What I started to notice a few months ago is that it will sit pegged at the bottom even after 15 minutes of ideling in the garage, I start driving to work and after about 1 mile it will begin to move quickly up and then stay at that temperature for a few minutes and then start moving again, sometimes it will even drop 20 degrees or more before it starts climbing again.
    Last week VW dealer put in a new thermostat assembly after acknowledging that the thermostat was not working properly and now same thing, what are the chances of two bad thermostats from VW?
    What doesn't make sense is my 04 Passat wagon with 1.8T was at 190 degrees this morning after 15 minutes of ideling in garage and 08 2.0T engine was still pegged at bottom of gauge. I did open hood and touched engine to make sure it was not a fault with temp gauge and engine was cold.
    Are other B6 2.0T owners having same slow warm up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    1. direct injection produces less heat due to greater efficiency.

2. I have no problems getting heat. My commute is climbing hills and during the time when engine temperature is still cold, I am not eager to upshift sooner.

If you have the Tiptronic, use the tiptronic to encourage the engine to warm up faster by delaying your shifting points. This hurts fuel economy though,l

1st Gear
    my 2.0T FSI takes a while to warm up as well - never really timed it - and it's directly related to how long it's been sitting as well as how cold it is outside (I'm assuming you thought of these things, just thinking out loud). It certainly sounds like you still have a sensor issue of some kind...

Does your HVAC blow warm air even when the temp gauge is not where you think it should be? Idle doesn't use/generate that much power and will therefore not transfer as much heat into the engine... I've found that driving for a few minutes warms up the car a lot faster than idling for 20 minutes.

3rd Gear
    It was -28C this morning and my 07 with a 2.0T (6 sd manual) turned over pretty quick after being outside and not plugged in overnight. I have a 5.5km drive to work in city traffic and when I pulled into the lot this morning, the temp gauge had just risen a bit off the bottom. At normal winter temps (say -5ish) it's about 75% up to the top.

Thank god for heated seats!

Neutral
    I too have an 07 passat, 2.0T with 6 spd man trans. It was -28 degrees centigrade this morning. My car was not plugged in, started right up, the temp gauge was well on its way to operating temp after driving 5-7 kms and after 15-20 kms it was at operating temp and quite toastie inside.

maybe your temp sensor is out? and yes, just because its new doesn't mean it'll work, so you could have got a bad thermostat when they installed the second one.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by 84xj1100 View Post
    I too have an 07 passat, 2.0T with 6 spd man trans. It was -28 degrees centigrade this morning. My car was not plugged in, started right up, the temp gauge was well on its way to operating temp after driving 5-7 kms and after 15-20 kms it was at operating temp and quite toastie inside.

maybe your temp sensor is out? and yes, just because its new doesn't mean it'll work, so you could have got a bad thermostat when they installed the second one.
    Not to hijack, but you have the same car as me and we're in the same city. How long have you had it? Is it a waggie or sedan?

Neutral
    picked it up about 3 wks ago in Gatineau QC

Neutral
    I just noticed that today actually. I had mine started in the garage for 15 minutes and the temp gauge didnt move. Once I start driving it it jumps to 200 quick but at idle it doesnt move. Guess its normal so dont freak out. I live in Buffalo so Im pretty sure I dont need to tell you how cold it gets here.

1st Gear
    Does your temp gauge climb smoothly to the 200 mark? Mine moves and then stops, hangs for a minute or so then starts climbing again and then can stop again before it starts climbing again to 200 which is operating temp.
    Once the engine starts warming up I would expect a smooth consistent climb to the 200 degree operating temperature, can take 10 minutes of driving 55 to 60 on interstate to get to operating temp.
    A co-worker has CC with same engine, we both started our cars 15 minutes before leaving work and he said he had 200 degrees within 2 miles of leaving work, I was 3X farther than that at least before hitting 200 degrees.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by PassatBobNY View Post
    I have a 08 with 2.0T engine that seems to take a long time to warm up this winter and I am looking to see if anyone else experiences the same thing or is this normal.
    This winter I have noticed it can take up to 20 minutes for the temp gage to get to 200 degree F which is operating temperature.
    What I started to notice a few months ago is that it will sit pegged at the bottom even after 15 minutes of ideling in the garage, I start driving to work and after about 1 mile it will begin to move quickly up and then stay at that temperature for a few minutes and then start moving again, sometimes it will even drop 20 degrees or more before it starts climbing again.
    Last week VW dealer put in a new thermostat assembly after acknowledging that the thermostat was not working properly and now same thing, what are the chances of two bad thermostats from VW?
    What doesn't make sense is my 04 Passat wagon with 1.8T was at 190 degrees this morning after 15 minutes of ideling in garage and 08 2.0T engine was still pegged at bottom of gauge. I did open hood and touched engine to make sure it was not a fault with temp gauge and engine was cold.
    Are other B6 2.0T owners having same slow warm up?
    Sorry, I do not understand your meaning, Can you explain it more clearly?

Neutral
    I have 06 auto, it also takes a long time to warm up. If it is real cold out it takes a solid 15min. of actual drive time to get warm. Makes me really wish I had heated seats when its 5 below out here in the Chi!!!

1st Gear
    To the OP:
    As others have said idling in this car does no good, just waisting fuel. Also hard on the tranmission because the fuild there is heating up but not being cooled, this is bad. I have an 08 2.0 T FSI as well and it does take sometime to heat up. I've not timed it and I've not noticed it stopping and then going again. I'm guessing you have the same motor unless you have a later model 08 with the 2.0 TSI. I would have the dealer check a sensor to see if it's bad.

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information