Parking Brake Fault - See Owners Manual (yeah another one)
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By morourke

Thread: Parking Brake Fault - See Owners Manual (yeah another one)

Neutral

Parking Brake Fault - See Owners Manual (yeah another one)

Hey guys...

I bought a new battery tonight at my local VW dealership and after replacing it in the parking lot I got into my car, started it up, and saw 'Parking Brake Fault - See Owners Manual'. Seeing as I dont have an owners manual as when I bought it used, it didn't come with one I had to try and make do - The car is still driveable but does not shift out of gear and when I go to engage (automatic) Drive, Reverse, or Sport, from the Parked position it makes a hard clunk and small jerk before it engages. The MFD reads as if I am still parked because I can access all the comfort sections, and all transmission selections are highlighted. Im not sure if it was in Neutral or Park when I engaged the Parking Brake before I changed the battery so maybe and Im hoping when I took the old battery out, and put the new one in, that something wasnt set correctly when the car started up after having no battery power? I dont know.

I am curious to know what possible ways I can rectify this. Its sitting in the VW dealership parking lot and Im hoping they will be able to take a look at at it in the morning but of course I wanted to check here. Also, what does it say in the Owners Manual about a Parking Brake Fault??? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you,
    Ian

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    All I can find in the owners manual is instruction to take the vehicle to the dealer.
    Last edited by morourke; 01-06-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: entered the same thing twice
    bbyrd likes this.

Neutral
    haha go figure. Well thank you for looking into it for me. I really appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks
    ian

Neutral
    well it turned out to be something very simple. apparently when the battery dies and you 'jump' the car, the factory settings need to be reset sometimes. VW called and told me that when they took it in, the ECU had re-learned it itself and apparently that wasn't an issue anymore. I had them take care of a breather valve for me and put a new resistor in for the fan control module (both unrelated to my initial problem) and I should be picking it up this afternoon. I just dont get why when I first had to jump the battery in order to get over to VW that I didnt have this issue... Maybe because I still had enough power for lights and the CD player etc but enough cold crank amp's. Who knows.... Volkswagens....

6. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information