I was looking to see if you can help me with these questions which I have? I have no problem in the car but needed some guidance from you all.
1. I was wondering if the 2007 Passat 2.0T sedan has a timing chain or a timing belt.
2. I gather that the timing chain is more reliable compared to a belt as the belt sometimes may crack leaving the driver stranded. Is this true?
3. Also I assume that the timing belt then is it inside the engine connecting the crankshaft to the DOHC’s to operate the valves? If yes then will the belt not slip because of the engine oil?
4. I hope the timing belt is not the same as the belt used to rotate the alternator and compressor?
5. To replace a timing belt does one have to remove the engine out of the car? How much would it cost to replace a timing belt
6. Sometimes older cars make this loud squeaking embarrassing noise when they start or when they are cold or when they are moving between gears, is this loud squeaking because of a timing belt? I will be embarrassed if a few years down the line my Passat starts making this noise.
7. Also is it true that timing belts are used by car manufacturers to cost costs as its cheaper?
Thank you all.