Automatic Transmission Cooler Upgrade Complete (Cadillac SRX)
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Automatic Transmission Cooler Upgrade Complete (Cadillac SRX)

After tons of invested time and money, I have finally completed the upgrade with tons of help from J.Hines. My total investment in just this project alone was over $400; however, a little under half of that was trial/error with multiple coolers and lines/fittings. Anyone else interested in this project, it can be completed for under $250 plus labor.

Below is a breakdown of the components (everything I used was from Russell Performance)...

'04-'08 Cadillac SRX Transmission Cooler (w/ towing package)
    5/8"-18 to -6AN Inverted O-Ring Adapter Fitting (converts cooler's SAE NPT threads to AN fittings) x 2
    18mm to -6AN Adapter Fitting (converts OEM trans cooler lines into AN fittings) x 2
    6" of stainless steel braided hose
    -6AN straight Hose End x 3
    -6AN 90* bend Hose End x 1
    Hose Separators (to keep the lines running parallel together) x 2
    New OEM O-Rings for OEM trans lines x 2
    Custom fabricated mounting brackets or a "rod and strap" cooler/fan mounting kit (found locally)

The cooler is a brand new transmission cooler from a '06 Cadillax SRX with towing package (this is very important as the non-towing package cooler is barely larger than our OEM cooler). This particular cooler is manufactured by LONG (one of the largest aftermarket and OEM fluid cooler manufacturers) for Cadillac. The dimensions of the cooler's core are 23" x 5.5" x 0.75", which is almost identical to the medium LONG Tru-Cool Max aftermarket transmission cooler. The aftermarket cooler has ten plates (stock has six plates) and is rated are 30,000 GVW / 34,000 BTU (more details can be found at the link below). The reason for going with the Cadillac version over the standard aftermarket is due to the ability of running AN hoses on the Cadillac version compared to the hose barb connections found on the aftermarket version.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/4921-1.html

The Cadillac SRX cooler comes from an ebay store (see link below) and will need to be slightly modified (removal of the SRX mounting hardware). The ebay vendor is extremely helpful and answered all of my questions over the phone within a matter of moments. As you can see from the above picture, the cooler fits like a glove and looks like OEM equipment. I decided to run the cooler in series with the OEM system...trans fluid leaves the transmission, runs through the coolant junction box found in the engine bay, flows through the Cadillac cooler and then returns back to the transmission. I haven't found the VagCom logging blocks for measuring fluid temps; however, I will note that shifting during multiple WOT pulls feels great and extremely consistent thus far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANS...Q5fAccessories

In order to splice into the OEM lines, I used two Russell 18mm to -6AN adapter fittings. The OEM connection pictured below implements a compression type of fitting where one end of the line slips over another line and seals with an o-ring. On one line end is a male 18mm x 1.5 threaded connection welded onto the metal pipe (see red circled ends), while the other end uses a tube nut style fitting with a female threaded connection (see blue circled ends). J.Hines was able to take a ~9mm drill bit and fine-grit sandpaper (please verify should you attempt this modification) and slightly ream out the Russell adapter...this allowed the female tube nut line end to slide into the adapter, seal tightly against the o-ring and thread into the female tube nut compression fitting. Sorry, we lost the actual picture of the connection, but the ETKA screen print below details where the parts are located.

After mounting the cooler (whichever style the end user chooses), the rest is just running the lines from the OEM lines to the cooler. I choose to implement two hose separators throughout the length of the hoses...this helps to keep the lines running together and offer a mounting connection for holding the lines in place. I will mention that J.Hines did have to remove the radiator support to mount the cooler and run the lines throughout...so this would add a decent amount of labor to the job.

At one point I ordered the largest LONG Tru-Cool MAX cooler; however, I was informed that it very well could "over cool" the fluid and cause cluth pack failure prematurely. In addition, it would have been extremely difficult to install along with my Eurojet FMIC. The Cadillac SRX cooler is approximately twice the size of the OEM equipment and is aluminum (compared to the OEM being steel) which should offer even more cooler effect. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out and definitely recommend this cooler over any other aftermarket offerings (due to it's fit, quality and ability to implement life-long AN fittings/lines).

Once I have my valve body details finally worked out (IPT is the worst company I have ever dealt with), I will provide a full update on the ability of the 09G AISIN transmission to withstand k04 (any above) power levels. I will say that all of my research thoughout the process has really opened my eyes in regards to performance automatic transmissions. The number one factor in transmission failure is HEAT, so even stock/slightly modified auto Passat guys could look into this upgrade. Please feel free to post up any questions/concerns. Thanks for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    And what will you be towing with your B6?

Neutral
    great post, appreciate the write up.

Are auto b6's prone to tranny failure or are you just trying to beef up due to increased power levels?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by bksuperman View Post
    And what will you be towing with your B6?
    Nothing, cooler was upgraded to prevent this from occurring again...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ght=valve+body

Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post
    great post, appreciate the write up.

Are auto b6's prone to tranny failure or are you just trying to beef up due to increased power levels?
    No problem. In regards to the 09G transmissions...they are in fact a very compact, efficient piece of hardware. However, the factory rating is under-rated compared to stock power levels (it's only rated for 184 ft/lbs) and considering I recently installed a k04 upgrade...figured it was cheap insurance for the transmission and fluid.

1st Gear
    why waste all the time pay $300 for the S3 FMIC which is perfect and not have issues?
    cudos for inovation but really nec?

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludak14 View Post
    why waste all the time pay $300 for the S3 FMIC which is perfect and not have issues?
    S3 fmic has nothing to do with tranny cooling the fmic is for the turbo side of the car only air passes through a ic no fluids at all rbrad has an auto passat and with a ko4 putting out 300+ hp wen stock auto tranny o ly is made for 200 hp he needs to upgrade tranny components so he doesn't blow his tranny.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludak14 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill6211789 View Post
    S3 fmic has nothing to do with tranny cooling the fmic is for the turbo side of the car only air passes through a ic no fluids at all rbrad has an auto passat and with a ko4 putting out 300+ hp wen stock auto tranny o ly is made for 200 hp he needs to upgrade tranny components so he doesn't blow his tranny.
    Pretty much what Bill said. My original post has nothing to do with my FMIC...this is specifically for upgrading the transmission (thus far, both the cooler and valve body have been modified/upgraded). I have run my Eurojet stage III FMIC for over two years now and had to custom fit it as well (see below). I belive I'm one of two individuals who have installed this on a Passat and the only reason for choosing it over the s3 was due to the s3's pricetag two years ago (~$500).

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...lly-Worked-Out)

However, at this point, it has been proven that on mildly tuned s3 k04 conversions, the s3 intercooler begins to heat soak after a couple of pulls. Seeing as I'm running a fully-bolted s3 k04 set-up (no meth), I would need something above and beyond the OEM s3 intercooler's cooling abilities. I would have loved to run the Forge Twintercooler, but I really disliked the tube & fin design they choose for the core.

Anyway, enough about intercoolers. If anyone else has any questions they would like to inquire about this set-up or the 09G transmission in general, please feel free to post up. Over the past two months, I have obtained a wealth of knowledge on this transmission as well as multiple links detailing the entire transmission part-by-part.

1st Gear
    As I Was.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information