Do 2006 Passats have an aux input?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Do 2006 Passats have an aux input?

I've ready differing accounts...some say there's an aux in the arm console...Don't seem to see one.

Have DynoSound, if that makes a difference. Perhaps I'd have to run my own aux? Also, any recommendations on a good head unit with nav that works with the steering wheel controls?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Ours is in the glovebox. Click twice on the CD button to pick up the AUX signal.

6th Gear
    ^ that...unless you have a multi disc player in the glove box, in which case you may not have one at all.

REM
    Neutral
    While we're on the subject, what exactly is the difference between the Aux input, and the optional MDI Interface and I-pod cable?

What can you do with one that you can't do with the other? Does an I-pod not work with the regular Aux input?

If it matters, I'm asking about the 2008 and 2010 model years.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by J-RAD View Post
    ^ that...unless you have a multi disc player in the glove box, in which case you may not have one at all.
    I'd check in the glove box. I already have a multi-disc head unit, but I see the compartment in the glove box that can hold a multi-disc loader...I also see some sort of connector in there for the multi disc unit.

Perhaps I don't have an aux in

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by REM View Post
    While we're on the subject, what exactly is the difference between the Aux input, and the optional MDI Interface and I-pod cable?

What can you do with one that you can't do with the other? Does an I-pod not work with the regular Aux input?

If it matters, I'm asking about the 2008 and 2010 model years.
    Simply put, the Aux will not charge your iPod nor will it allow you to interface through the radio's head unit. The iPod cable/MDI charges the iPod and allows for some interface through the head unit.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ddgbosi View Post
    I'd check in the glove box. I already have a multi-disc head unit, but I see the compartment in the glove box that can hold a multi-disc loader...I also see some sort of connector in there for the multi disc unit.

Perhaps I don't have an aux in
    I have an 06 w a single disc radio. When I open the glove box, it has a orange tab that says "cd" and when you pull it , a box opens w/ a connector for a cd changer but I don't see an aux input anywhere. Really wish I had one so I could take advantage of pandora via phone

Neutral
    Buy an aftermarket stereo and... BOOM! You have an aux input. That's basically the only alternative. I'm in the same position.

1st Gear
    Here this could solve your issue of no Aux.
    FS: Pioneer Head Unit

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by nh9095 View Post
    I have an 06 w a single disc radio. When I open the glove box, it has a orange tab that says "cd" and when you pull it , a box opens w/ a connector for a cd changer but I don't see an aux input anywhere. Really wish I had one so I could take advantage of pandora via phone
    The aux port is still there -- it's on the back of the radio.

The way it was explained to me by my service advisor is that the wiring harness for the CD changer uses the aux/cd port on the back of the radio. Since only one port is available, you either have a changer or you have the aux input.

This can be changed. To do so, you need to buy the iPod wiring harness, pull the radio out, disconnect the changer harness, then connect the new iPod harness. It's supposedly pretty straightforward - plug and play.
    Last edited by J-RAD; 06-29-2010 at 05:48 PM.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by rlsuter76 View Post
    Here this could solve your issue of no Aux.
    FS: Pioneer Head Unit
    need a head unit with nav...

Neutral
    Go to enfigcarstereo.com, they sell an Ipod adapter with an aux input for your VW Passat. It is a Dension Gateway unit, it displays on the instrument cluster information center, allows you to control from your steering wheel controls or the radio or the Ipod. It also has an Aux input that allows you to hook up anything else (stream Pandora through your Blackberry or handsfree phone, plays through your speakers...). The controls take a little getting use to but it works well. Cost is about 160 plus 30 for the Ipod cable plus 10 for the aux input cable. You pull the radio, plug it into your radio and put the radio back, you can run it out to your glove box. I wrapped it in foam to prevent any rattles and tucked it in behind the radio and ran a 6 foot aux cable down under the console to the console storage box. From start to finish in less than an hour.

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information