Blog Entries

TDI Jetta or Passat

Which would you choose?

Too bad noooo TDI Passat!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    well, I choose Passat Wagon 'cause Jetta/ Golf was smaller and had less hp. Really depends on what you do with the car. Highway / city driving, hauling stuff, etc.

Yo! Bum Rush The Show
    Drove a Jetta Sportwagen TDI this weekend, amazing amount of power and great mileage. If you can find one then go for it.

1st Gear
    Unless you really really need the few extra cubic ft of the Passat, I say go Jetta TDI. Plenty of torque and power for daily driving. A couple less things to go wrong (manual handbrake, no push-to-start key). You'll get used to 50 mpg highway too.

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
    Unless you really really need the few extra cubic ft of the Passat, I say go Jetta TDI. Plenty of torque and power for daily driving. A couple less things to go wrong (manual handbrake, no push-to-start key). You'll get used to 50 mpg highway too.
    What do you mean by the things that can go wrong? I thought it didn't have push to start....

Also I could get the Jetta TDI Wagon =p

Neutral

JSW TDI tops Passat

I bought the 2010 JSW TDI two months ago and I'm thrilled with it. The Passat won't get you 50mpg in highway driving - which I see regularly - or low 30's in the city. The torque on the JSWis 236 vs 207 for the Passat. Yes, the Passat has 3 more cubic feet storage and 5 more cubic feet passenger volume. Otherwise the JSW wins every other comparison, including resale - the car just doesn't depreciate! (as if I'd ever sell it). I got the manual with the pano roof. It's a great car, if you can find one.

3rd Gear
    Go for the TDI. It's a great engine.

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    Gonna go test drive this weekend (both TDI's)..wagon looks a little funny in the back though heh.

May even just try the Passat for kicks.

Superhero
    It might be worth it to take a look at the Audi A3 TDI, especially if you like the luxury of the B6 Passat or CC.

I drove one last week and is was a hoot, even with the DSG transmission. During the test drive the indicator on the dash showed the MPG averaging around 35mpg.

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    The A3 is a bit out of my price range.....

>.>

Unless I want 600+ monthly payments. Though I did drive the 2.0t Gas Quattro..love the car. Be nice to have it if I could get reasonable monthly payments.
    Last edited by MonthOLDpickle; 11-19-2009 at 08:17 AM.

6th Gear
    Jetta sportwagon MkVI tdi

I find the current Jetta sedan a bit cramped, but the wagon is a wee bit better, especially for the rear seat pax.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by MonthOLDpickle View Post
    I thought it didn't have push to start....

LOL... Only if your battery dies... seriously it the key, the Jetta you turn it and the Passat you push it.

Anyways, I'm biased, Passat Wagon!!

If you want it mostly for the mpgs then go for the TDI jetta. If you want more space and more creature features, then go for the Passat.

You may not want the DSG though,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Helmet View Post
    it's not going to be more economical because.... DSG servicing is fairly frequent (iirc around 40,000 miles) and costs around $300 alone.

6th Gear
    DSG with tdi allegedly sucks, fwiw. TDI wins not only on fuel usage, but diesels historically have better residuals, so you win on depreciation, too (even with higher mileage). YMMV.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ashman78 View Post
    DSG with tdi allegedly sucks, fwiw. TDI wins not only on fuel usage, but diesels historically have better residuals, so you win on depreciation, too (even with higher mileage). YMMV.
    No DSG with TDI is great one reason, diesel has smaller range of rpm than petrol engine, with dsg you can almost delete this "disadvantage"

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    So I test drove a Jetta TDI Sedan.

They only had one wagon in but it was in delivery mode.

I have to say..the Jetta is bigger than my Passat =/

The next wagon they have coming in is in Feb 2010 but only one thing..its charcoal gray/platinum gray ..bleh

But it has everything..well not 18" wheel but 17, better than 16".

And yes the DSG is NICE with the TDI.
    Last edited by MonthOLDpickle; 11-21-2009 at 06:22 PM.

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    Also what exactly is a Jetta sportwagon MkVI tdi or is that just the newer engine?

And ooohhh who are about touch start heh (not I =) )

1st Gear
    What do you mean by the things that can go wrong? I thought it didn't have push to start....

That's what I mean. The Jetta does not have push-to-start nor electric handbrake, so it has fewer things that could potentially go south.

When it comes to resale, fuel costs, etc, a TDI will end up being just about the lowest cost per mile you can imagine in its category. I had an '04 wagon. My wife totaled it. I paid $30k new (CDN $), drove it for 3 years and put on 70k miles and got $19k from the insurance company. The same car without TDI would have fetched about $4k less.

With residuals like that it makes no sense in fact to lease a TDI. Buy it instead.

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    I'd so put the deposit down if it wasn't platinum gray... /sigh

Ideally white than red than black if I had a choice. Should I just not care about the color?

Neutral
    The passat is bigger than the Jetta. On paper it may only be marginally bigger but in real life, the comfort of the passat is far superior to the jetta.

The Passat is also has better trim and feels more up market. The Mk5 Golf/Jetta was a joke for build quality and feel. The new Mk6 addresses these problems and is a much better car. I had a Mk6 Golf for 10 days and it is much improved over its Mk5 but VW have done well in not making it 'too' good inside. You still can feel it's a step below the Passat.

So to summarise:

1. If you don't need the space, then get the new jetta (not too sure if out in USA yet, don't get the Mk5 Golf based Jetta)
    2. If you worry about economy, then get the Jetta.
    3. If you want a bigger car and a more upmarket car, get the Passat.

Al.

PS: I HAVE a Passat with TDi and DSG

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    Your right but whats funny is its a better ride than my '03 Passat

Which is sad to me honestly. I want the MPG and space really. I actually got to drive a TDI wagon today (cause they had one actually down here in Eugene). I have to say that that wagon feels more of an upgrade from my current car. Too bad the jetta TDI sells like hot cakes they have tons of other cars..like Passats.

And I have to say this..this is far better than my friends Toyota...lol.

I think I am gonna get the Gray one..it will look good with tint. If I got white I wouldn't get tint..so it makes it work.

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    Just got in and drove a 2010 Passat. I am gonna get the sportwagon.

Neutral
    It really depends on the type of driving you do the most. I own both (08 Jetta 2.5 manual and an 09 Passat wagon) The jetta has a sportier ride, quicker reflexes and the "point and shoot" factor that makes it fun in moderate traffic and parking garages. The passat is a far superior highway car (I get better mpg with the wagon) it also quieter, more upmarket inside and larger inside (although there is more seat adjustment for headroom in the jetta. It's really a call to make after driving both, but you do have spend some time behind the wheel to really feel the substantial differences between them. Both are great cars, you really can't lose!

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    Well wagon, I'd be getting the TDI wagon. When I was driving the sedan/wagon through Eugene I got up to 32 MPG. Imagine what it would be on the freeway ^.^

I drove a 2010 Passat, it was nice...but I rather get the TDI Wagon. Its roughly the same size as my current '03 Passat with same features plus more.

To bad you can`t get the TDI in the wagon, it`s a great car.
    Especially with the sport suspention and the DSG.
    Good luck on your new car.

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    So while I have been down here in Eugene, OR..a dealership up in Edmonds, WA received a white TDI wagon. I am having a friend check it out than transferring money to my mother..

w0t w00t hope I get itttt.

**Klaus your talking about the Jetta TDI wagon or wishing they had a Passat TDI wagon?

1st Gear
    I looked at both cars: new Jetta and the Passat. Still like the Passat better, just wish they had more packages.

Do you guys know when the new Passat will come out? They will be building it here in the Us so there is a chance for more options.

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    You mean building it in Mexico. Sept of 2010 will be the 2011 cars. I did more test driving today. I am gonna stick with the Jetta. The MPG more worth it for the cost of less leg room for back passengers for me.

1st Gear
    Nope, I heard that they will be building them (Passats) in Tennessee.

1st Gear
    And the Jetta is a sweet car. I like the one with the 2.0 gas engine. Still good MPG and quick.

So while I have been down here in Eugene, OR..a dealership up in Edmonds, WA received a white TDI wagon. I am having a friend check it out than transferring money to my mother..

w0t w00t hope I get itttt.

**Klaus your talking about the Jetta TDI wagon or wishing they had a Passat TDI wagon?
    I wish the Passat wagon TDI was avaliable for the US market, it`s a great car. Both great mileage and a fantastic car.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information