Replacement key
NEWS
 

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Replacement key

  1. #1
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lake Zurich, Il USA
    Posts
    556

    Replacement key

    Anybody get a replacement key for a B6? What do they cost?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    69
    arm, leg, and first born!!!

    I wanna say after all said and done $200-$250.

  4. #3
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Slovakia, Kosice
    Age
    49
    Posts
    645

  5. #4
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lake Zurich, Il USA
    Posts
    556
    Just talked to VW and they said $283 for the key and $60 to program.

    He said I can't program it myself. I have VAG-COM. Doesn anyone know if I really can program it? I suspect I can.

  6. #5
    1st Gear
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    219
    Suggest you check out this posting, first:
    Be careful when you get a new B6 remote

  7. #6
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lake Zurich, Il USA
    Posts
    556
    Well, I ordered the key from a different dealer. It was about $150. Gues what - my wife found her key about 3 hours after I ordered the new one! Of course it was too late to cancel the order. So we have the new key now but didn't get it programmed yet. Gonna wait to program if we ever loose a key and need the new one. Who knows - maybe by then someone will figure out how to program it with VAG-COM.

  8. #7
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WSMR,NM
    Posts
    1,044
    they are expensive b/c they laser cuts, i think you can do the programming your self, it shoudl be in the manual

  9. #8
    Lock and Load
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    4,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Just talked to VW and they said $283 for the key and $60 to program.

    He said I can't program it myself. I have VAG-COM. Doesn anyone know if I really can program it? I suspect I can.

    You can program the remote to lock and unlock the door, but for the key, dealer is the only solution since it has immobilizer.

  10. #9
    1st Gear
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    219
    Immobilizer is in the remote. However, you do need the dealer to program, even though there will be a sticker on the new remote with the VIN number.

  11. #10
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lake Zurich, Il USA
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by knerml View Post
    Immobilizer is in the remote. However, you do need the dealer to program, even though there will be a sticker on the new remote with the VIN number.
    If the immobilizer is in the remote, can you take it out?

    I wish they would use the RF ID tag remote like the Prius. That's great system since you never need to take the key out of your pocket! Also can't forget to lock the car!

  12. #11
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    WSMR,NM
    Posts
    1,044
    no b/c its the chip that communicates with the ingnition to let it know that its the right key and start the engine

  13. #12
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Slovakia, Kosice
    Age
    49
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I wish they would use the RF ID tag remote like the Prius. That's great system since you never need to take the key out of your pocket! Also can't forget to lock the car!
    Isn't "KEYLESS-ENTRY" the same?

  14. #13
    Lock and Load
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    4,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    If the immobilizer is in the remote, can you take it out? ...

    Even if you can take it out, the immobilizer light will blink and engine will shut off after a second once you use the key to start the car, because the key is not authorized by the ECU.

  15. #14
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lake Zurich, Il USA
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by Allbacore View Post
    Isn't "KEYLESS-ENTRY" the same?
    No. You still have to put the key in the ignition. In the Prius you leave the key in your pocket. Just push the start button on the dash. And when you walk away from the car the car locks itself.

  16. #15
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    69
    Yeah, that is what the touareg does also.

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    No. You still have to put the key in the ignition. In the Prius you leave the key in your pocket. Just push the start button on the dash. And when you walk away from the car the car locks itself.
    On the european version, this is how the "Keyless entry" works.

  18. #17
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Orlando/West Palm Beach
    Posts
    20
    WTH is VAGCOM???

  19. #18
    I'm Urlik's Hero
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    UK
    Age
    12
    Posts
    9,785

  20. #19
    Overdrive
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fargo ND
    Age
    30
    Posts
    11,880
    NM, he is talking about a b6.

  21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2