Volvo S40 design vs New Passat
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

Volvo S40 design vs New Passat

I know many people don't like new passat, so if there would be a choice (look at the body only), would you take Volvo S40 over new Passat? Thanks for voting

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

the Sal wannabe
    yes.

2nd Gear
    I need the space so the Passat wins. Plus I don't like the S40's center console.

1st Gear
    I'd take the new Passat over the S40, but I'll take the S40 over my B5.5

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimes&Dubs
    I'd take the new Passat over the S40, but I'll take the S40 over my B5.5
    Ergo, you would take the B6 over your B5.5, if my SAT testing logic is still with me.

Neutral
    Drive the S40 for a while and you will pick the Passat. I drove one for a month when my car was getting repaired and it was small, slow and lacked the fun factor. Basically, it was boring!

Neutral
    Ok, I had the whole day to think about it and now I'm looking at Acura TSX
    I'm gonna test-drive new passat & acura tsx, still thinking about volvo... I like my 2002 passat but it's time to say bye to it cause we're moving to AZ and I cannot drag a car which will have no warranty in 6 months

2nd Gear
    The TL is better than the TSX, you would find that its not as refined as the Passat and is way smaller. The TSX is the euro Honda Accord.

Try out the new GLI, that's about almost the size of the B5.5. The B6 is bigger than the B5.5 in all areas.

2nd Gear
    dont count out the ford passat!!!
    j/k

my friend's dad has a tsx and it sure does look good and handles nicely, if i had money, i'd look at one of those

5th Gear
    Passat B6 for sure!!!!!

My parents just recently bought an S60 and they test drove the S40 and they were just sooo much of a downgrade...It felt cheap. Now the S60 is another story..I have had the chance to drive it and i must say...very solid car!!!

Passat B6 is my final answer

Neutral
    B6 Passat Hands Down. I used to work at Volvo HQ in Gothenburg, Sweden. I know more than I want to about those cars.

3rd Gear
    Tough call. B6 Passat is ugly, but S40 is so small and a Ford product.

I actually do like the center console.

I'd probably go S40.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by greyvariant
    The TL is better than the TSX, you would find that its not as refined as the Passat and is way smaller. The TSX is the euro Honda Accord.

Try out the new GLI, that's about almost the size of the B5.5. The B6 is bigger than the B5.5 in all areas.
    I understand that TL is better than TSX, I'm looking at certain price range , that's why I picked TSX.
    I don't like how GLI looks like, it reminds me of hybrid cars

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade
    I understand that TL is better than TSX, I'm looking at certain price range , that's why I picked TSX.
    If you're seriously looking at the TSX, why not also consider the A4 2.0T? They're within a grand of each other on base MSRP and are comparably sized/equipped; both are much smaller than the Passat.

Neutral
    this topic has got to be a joke! you ask on a passat forum (specifically the B6 section) if we would choose the mazda 3/volvo s40 over a passat???!!!

get a life dude!!!

the Sal wannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by PZZAT
    this topic has got to be a joke! you ask on a passat forum (specifically the B6 section) if we would choose the mazda 3/volvo s40 over a passat???!!!

get a life dude!!!
    you are right. the b6 is the bestest car in the universe.

</debate>
    </thread>

3rd Gear

get a life dude!!!
    The whole point of these threads is to engage persons in serious Passat discussions, both pro and con. Debate is rightfully part of these discussions because most of us are not mindless shills of the VOLKSWAGEN "MACHINE".

By chance, do you know Lance?

Neutral

get a life dude!!!
    First of all I asked to compare a body only and I'm sorry but I do think that B6 with 16 wheels looks awkward. If VW could give me a new passat in 5.5 body, I wouldn't have started this discussion. You may be in love with B6 body, but I'm not you. People here are being very helpfull and I listen to different opinions; no need for u to scream in agony

P.S. Dude is for guys, and dudine is for the gals

Neutral
    I owne both a V70 Volvo and a Passat B6 . Both are great cars. I Did drive the S40 as a loaner and it is a great car. The bodystyle is beautiful and the inside is very well done. The only thing I do not kike to much about Volvo is that the gauges and the dashboard are boring at night. If the Volvo had the same lights at night than the Passat or the A4 ( which is my third car ) it would be a perfect car. The seats of the S40 are far more confortable than the B6. Both cars are beautiful from the outside. I think you will get more for your money with a B6 right now unless you are waiting for the all new S60 coming in the Spring of 2007. I know I will be at the Volvo dealership when the 2008 V70 comes around to replace my 04.
    On the other hand the b6 is an owesome car to drive and the more I drive the more I love it....The B6 is a bargain BMW 525 .... The best car for the value coming from Germany...

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by HamburgSV83
    I The B6 is a bargain BMW 525 .... The best car for the value coming from Germany...
    That comment should be taken seriously. I looked at both (actually, the 530xi) before deciding on the '06 4MO. My pocketbook is happier and I've not been disappointed; the B6 has potential to be a fine car, with the 3.6 being a superb, world-class engine. Now if VWAG can just give it a tranny that performs up to the level of the engine...maybe a DSG?

1st Gear
    B6/B5.5/B5 are far better cars than S40. S40 is no match at all.

If you want a S40, get a Mazda3 instead. They are similar cars, but Mazda3 is far cheaper.

Neutral
    I have had 3 friends int he last 2 years lemon law Volvos. I think that since volve and ford got together they lack luster and workmanship. They are WAY over priced. I had this same discussion with a friend a few days ago after she ordered a new Volvo hard top convertible for 50K. I sent her a link to the new VW EOS ( which is remarkabley close in looks ) of about 20K less?. No volvo over here! I am stickin with my new B6.

Neutral
    I owned 6 Volvos in the past 15 years and I never had any problems with them. I even put 175,000 miles on my 87 760 before getting rid of it in 1998. My 2004 V70 cost me nothing in terms of maintenance. I had no problem with it. I guess I am lucky too with my VW and Audi products, I never had to have anything done on my 98 B5 Passat , or my 2004 Audi A4 , or my 2006 Passat ( only thig done is new fog light ( VW parts, clear corners( VW parts ) , Wood trim ( VW parts from TMT tuning ) . I also never had any problem with my 525 BMW bought new in 2003. By the way I am buying another V70 in 2008 new body syle and the 525 might very well be replaced with the new Phaeton ( Passat Coupe coming next year ).

2nd Gear

I thought abt VOLVO S40 (with AWD vs Passat 4motion)... but the PASSAT and the JETTA have superior crash test results. Volvo's poor.

The Volvo S40 is built on the Mazda3 platform. Mazda3 is pretty nice (for the money). But also does poorly on crash tests.

Anyway, See crash test reports:
    2006 VW Passat http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=389
    2006 Volvo s40 http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=411
    2006 VW Jetta http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=353
    Last edited by slny; 06-15-2006 at 12:37 PM.

2nd Gear

Swedish Meatballs?

What about the Saab 9-3 (2.0T 210Hp for $27K)? I think it comes closer to the B5 design than the Volvo (or even the B6). And has better crash ratings (than Volvo). Reliability is abt the same as the VW. But maybe better customer care?

No-Charge Scheduled Maintenance for 3 years/36,000 miles
    Roadside Assistance for 4 years/50,000 miles

Like the B5 it has:
    -Saab Information Display (SID) < Trip computer
    -Tilt/telescope steering-wheel adjustment
    -Cooled glove box
    -Express up and down and remote opening for the front windows and moonroof (+ open close from outside the car)
    -Blah, blah, blah...

I love the design of the Saab 9-3 (better than the B6), but I'm not sure I can live with the CHEVY Malibu based platform. VWs interior still is the best.
    Last edited by slny; 06-15-2006 at 08:13 AM.

B-5
    The "Odd" one
    I own both a B5.5 and a Volvo V50 (wagon version of S40). The Volvo is very small. My wife is all of 5'4 and me of 6'2, she gets that car. When I drive it after her the seat only moves about 2 inches before I am at the end of the tracks. Performance wise off the line the V50 has a little more pep in its step, but thats due to the massive turbo lag of the VW. Once up to 55...hands down the Passat would clean house. Handling though, the V50 in my opinion takes the curvy turns a lot more aggressive then the passat does. The Volvo has a little tighter suspension and bigger wheels then my VW does though. If I had to do it all over again I would not buy the V50 because it is to small, but I would definately get the T5 if I had to. I would opt more for the S60R as another choice of Volvo's for more size and MUCH more power.

Neutral
    remember Volvo is ford. No comparison vs VW which of coarse is german

2nd Gear
    In the case of the S40, its not only a Ford, it's also Mazda (Japanese).

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by slny
    In the case of the S40, its not only a Ford, it's also Mazda (Japanese).
    Is that good or bad? Having owned an '89 Ford Probe GT (which was actually a re-skinned Mazda MX6) that "ate" three turbos, I'd have some trepidation about the potential Volvo inbreeding (cross-breeding?) This is getting way too confusing for me...

B-5
    The "Odd" one
    Quote Originally Posted by passatglx
    remember Volvo is ford. No comparison vs VW which of coarse is german
    VW can also be, and has had, there fair share of POS's too. Plenty of Fords have gone 300K and plenty of VW's (my 99 Jetta to be included) havent been able to go more than 60K without 8 grand in warrenty work.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information