oil leak on 1999 passat
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

oil leak on 1999 passat

i have a 99 volkswagen passat and it has a bad oil leak out of no where..........any suggestions on what it may be and how to fix...assuming that it might not be a big problem I hope....

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    could be bad seals on the head gas? how many miles are on it

Neutral
    which motor? I've heard valve cover gaskets are common for leaking on the V-6 in the two days I've owned mine. Mine leaks too, btw.

PZ
    Redline
    If it's a bad leak, it may be the oil cooler. The seal blows out and oil pours out fast.

Neutral
    To add to the question. I Have a 99 1.8t and the oil leaks bad.

Now I'll explain in hope of some insight from some one educated in the field.
    I am 99% + that oil is leaking from the top of the oil filter. Or I hope.
    The filter drips oil.. I have oiled the filter gasket. Cleaned and oiled all around the place the filter screws on to.. Changed OIL from Synthetic Mobile 1 5w 30 to Castrol regular 5w 30. I have changer Filter brands and sizes.....

I noticed it looks like oil leaks out of where the dip stick straw goes into the engine.
    If I wiggle it, oil seeps out. No It is not easy to wiggle.

Could it be possible I cockeyed the threads on the filter mount while removing a stuck filter. That is the only thing I can think of.... I did have to use a filter wrench a while back for a stuck filter.....

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Is it possible I a filling the oil up too much?
    Could the dip stick have been pushed up in the handle causing it to shorten?
    I do not see an oil light come on ever.... But the Dip reads low and has read almost
    zero...I had to buy some lawn mower 30w Oil today at Lowes just so I could get home.

It leaks up to 2 qrts a day.....

Synthetic was started when I bought the car @ 80k.... Who know before that.
    I used Syn for 80k miles.

ANy help is appreciated......
    165k 99 1.8T.
    James,

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Selvol View Post
    I Have a 99 1.8t and the oil leaks bad.
    I am 99% + that oil is leaking from the top of the oil filter.
    Could it be possible I cockeyed the threads on the filter mount while removing a stuck filter. That is the only thing I can think of.... I did have to use a filter wrench a while back for a stuck filter.....
    It leaks up to 2 qrts a day.....
    The oil filter connects up to the bottom of the oil cooler. This junction is sealed by the oil filter gasket. You get a new gasket attached to every new filter that goes on. Always make sure the old gasket comes off with the old filter. Sometimes the old gasket will stick to the mount and you end up with a double gasket and a leak in the pressurized section of the oil system.

Above the oil filter is the oil cooler. The cooler is mounted up to a flange on the block with a rubber O-ring as the seal. This seal will go bad over time and produce a leak in the pressurized section of the oil system. It's a common failure. When mine blew out, it dumped to quarts in less than a minute. The O-ring is inexpensive and no harder to change than changing an oil filter. You will need the appropriate size socket or wrench. Do some searches for the procedure. There should be several write-ups floating around.

Quote Originally Posted by Selvol View Post
    I noticed it looks like oil leaks out of where the dip stick straw goes into the engine. If I wiggle it, oil seeps out.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Is it possible I a filling the oil up too much?
    Could the dip stick have been pushed up in the handle causing it to shorten?
    I do not see an oil light come on ever.... But the Dip reads low and has read almost
    zero...I had to buy some lawn mower 30w Oil today at Lowes just so I could get home.
    The dip stick tube is another common fail point. Over time the plastic it's made from gets brittle and cracks. Sometimes it cracks right at the base and you'll need to extract the bottom section without any small chunks of plastic dropping down into the oil pan. The part is relatively inexpensive. If you suspect it's bad, replacing it is cheep insurance. You do NOT want to run the engine with the oil too low or overfilled. Both scenarios can cause expensive damage. The chances of your dip stick getting shorter are pretty low. Do some searches on the subject as there are several threads dealing with this issue and how to resolve it.

Neutral
    does the V6 have an oil cooler?

Neutral
    What's up guys, I'm new and did the right thing in using the search feature! I'm posting my info into what seems to be a relevant thread for the same year and oil leak area.

My pictures are below. It started leaking a ton of oil a month ago. It will drip about 10 drops in a few minutes after parking the car. I have been looking everywhere and I can't find what this oil drain hose is called so I can buy o-rings for it (considering that's what I need). It looks like the leak is coming from the metal line where it goes into the block. The bottom of the oil cooler and filter are both dry, so I don't think it is that but it could be. I've been trying to search pictures on ebay for OEM oil lines on the passat 1.8 but all I'm finding is turbo drain hoses and other oil feed lines that don't look like mine. I just want to know what this metal line is called so I can buy the right o-rings for it, unless I need an oil cooler seal set. Any help you guys can offer will be amazing!

This is the general area, the oil line is in the middle of the picture with the metal tube coming out of it and going up behind the oil cooler.

This is a closer picture of it.

And the best picture I could get pointing up to see where the metal line goes behind the filter.

My engine information on the car if you need to know...

That's the crankshaft position sensor (also called engine speed sensor), not an oil line or oil containing device.

Volkswagen Passat B5 FWD 1.8T Engine Electrical Sensors Speed - ECS Tuning

Could the oil be coming from something above that sensor and running down in such a way that it appears that sensor is the source?

Neutral
    Ooooh..ok. The engine was hot when I took the picture, so I wasn't feeling around. It looked like a metal oil line, especially being right below the oil cooler. So most likely it's the oil cooler then? it looks dry around all of the seals I can see for the oil cooler. With as much oil as it's leaking I doubt it's the PCV gromet or valve cover gasket. What seal is there nearby other than the oil cooler that would have a decent amount of oil pressure?

Between the oil filter and oil cooler is the filter gasket. The border between those two components looks nice and dry in your photos. Between the oil cooler and the flange is a rubber O-ring. Those leak with age sometimes. Mine blew out at cold start on a sub-zero day and almost emptied the oil pan in no time. Then there is the seal where flange bolts to the block, the oil pressure sensor and the oil feed line going to the turbo. Get some good light and a mirror and start inspecting. Sometimes a phone/camera is a good tool for this.

Neutral
    Actually I have a USB endoscope camera I can use, I completely forgot about that. I'll have to get it out and use it when it's not piping hot.

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information