Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Reset the 'Service Now' message

181K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Djfree 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 VW Passat 2.0T. Does anyone know how to reset the 'Service Now' message that comes up when I start the car? I just had the oil changed by a local mechanic who doesn't know how to reset this on a 2008 Passat?

#4 ·
This apparantly works on 2007 Passats. I'll give it a try on my 2008.

With the key sitting in the ignition but NOT on (not even accessories...the key is in in there but literally just about to fall out) push and hold the wrench button. Count 5 seconds, start the car while still pushing the wrench button and then push the min button on your clock. You must be holding the wrench button and the min button at the same time to reset the service message. To test if you've reset properly, turn the car off and start it again. If you've reset properly the 'SERVICE NOW' will not appear and is automatically reset for 5k miles.

#6 ·
This apparantly works on 2007 Passats. I'll give it a try on my 2008.

With the key sitting in the ignition but NOT on (not even accessories...the key is in in there but literally just about to fall out) push and hold the wrench button. Count 5 seconds, start the car while still pushing the wrench button and then immediately push the min button on your clock. You must be holding the wrench button and the min button at the same time to reset the service message. To test if you've reset properly, turn the car off and start it again. If you've reset properly the 'SERVICE NOW' will not appear and is automatically reset for 5k miles.
I just did this on my 2008 Passat and it worked perfectly. If you hit the 'min' button quickly enough after starting the car, the 'Service Now' message never appears and it is reset for 5k miles. :)

#5 ·
Dang. My A4 is pretty easy, just press the wrench for a few secs (no messing with keys) and it resets.

#8 ·
An oil change is just that. As long as you're adding the correct synthetic oil to the vehicle, why pay Dealership prices? My Dealership charges $75 for an oil change on the Passat. The guy I use uses the same oil and charges $50. He just didn't know how to reset the 'Service Now' sensor to 5k from now.

If you went to Jiffy Lube, they wouldn't know either. :)

#11 ·
Props to Terry K for the correct steps, but you dont have to start your car. After holding the wrench button for the 5 seconds push your key in until all the dash lights come on. when the "service now" appears push the min button. Thanks again Terry K, the light has been on for MONTHS

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.