Help, Broken timing belt!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Help, Broken timing belt!

I bought a 99 Passat, with no knowledge of prior maintenance. 2 1/2 weeks later guess what!. Stealership wants 3-6 k to do the work. I have the head off, I have major contact on the 3 outer valves of each cylinder, and minor contact on the inner 2. I was doing about 2k rpm in 5th at about 45mph. The stealership wants to plastigage the whole bottom end, are they full of it, or should I consider it, with 135k would a new engine be a better investment? Can any machine shop handle the head rebuild or do I need to look for a special one?

Aside from a new metal impellar water pump, various hoses, head bolts, gaskets, injector o-rings, belts and tensioners is there anything else I should do since I am this far into it?

Those hose clamps that are impossible to get off can be replaced with regular clamps correct? Do the vaccum hoses need to have that braided protection on them?

I know I need to use VW 502.00 oil, I live in rural Montana, so fancy oils will be hard to find, I plan on using Mobil 1 full synthetic, but I hear of people using both 0W-40, and 5W-40. The temperatures range from -30 to 110. Any advice? Will the larger Fram filter do or do I need to go VW?

Sorry for all the questions but i would really like to drive it again soon. Thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Self inflicted facepalm
    You can purchase oil on the internet and have it shipped. I would also use Purolator or Mann Filters, also available on the internet.

I'm assuming it's a 1.8T. Plastigaging may show whether or not the engine is worth rebuilding. If a non-vw oil has been extensively used, there may be a lot of wear due to sluge issues. If a sythn oil has been used, the plastigage will confirm. I don't really know how necessary this is with 135K, some one else will have to chime in. How clean are the internals? Having a good rebuild would make you golden for some time.

Cut the old hose clamps and put on real ones. Someone makes a tool for this. I just use a dremel with a cutting wheel.

My 0.02 cents.

1st Gear
    ECS Tuning has 5 liter bottles of OEM German Synthetic 5W40 oil for $32

http://www.ecstuning.com/

5th Gear
    I wouldn't touch that engine again. If you can, get another one.

Neutral

Looks clean

Aside from the deck all I have really seen is the top of the head and there was no gunk, everything had a light golden color to it. Yes it is a 1.8 t.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by knerml View Post
    ECS Tuning has 5 liter bottles of OEM German Synthetic 5W40 oil for $32
    http://www.ecstuning.com/
    Free shipping here on ELF oil for orders over $50.

Engine Oil; Elf Excellium Full Tech 0W30, Full Synthetic; 5 Liter Bottle -$38.40
    Engine Oil; Elf Excellium NF-LDX 5W40, Full Synthetic; 5 Liter Bottle -$33.37

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...8@Engine%20Oil

Neutral

So what you're telling me is....

If there is marks on the piston it screwed up the bottom end?

5th Gear
    Doubtful. Rods are a little stronger than valves
    I've never heard of the bottom end being affected by a broken timing belt.

the deal finder!
    pull the oil pan, see if there's any sludge, or if there's any blockage of the oil intake screen. if there is sludge, then i wouldn't even bother to fix the engine...

PZ
    Redline
    Most machine shops can rebuild the heads for you. Call ahead to find one. With 135K, I would be 50/50 on a rebuild vs a used engine. I would pull the pan too. $2K for a used engine will almost cover parts if you rebuild the engine (minus the turbo upgrade).

Neutral

The Valves also hit a little on the top of the block.

Could this block still reused in a rebuild? Even with $800 or so into the head a rebuild may still be a wash over a used engine? Would the turbo need to be upgraded?

Self inflicted facepalm
    Don't you already have a used engine?

Just sayin'

PZ
    Redline
    Did the valves hit the block or just the pistons?. There have been a few reports of valves snapping and doing serious damage requiring a new block.

Mine had nicks in the pistons. They were less than the cutouts already in the pistons for valve clearance (which had filled with deposits). I just cleaned it up and kept them.

Neutral

One exhaust valve in each cylinder hit the top of the...

wall. You can see a little ding there, but the piston kind of mushed out a little bit. The pistons with that little mushed out spot wouldn't scrape up the cylinder wall to bad, would they? As far as the marks in the pistons I have 2 friends that went through WyoTech and they weren't worried about it, but then they aren't VW guys either.

PZ
    Redline
    I would rotate the engine and look for scrapes on the cylinder wall. If the piston rings reach the damaged area, replace the engine as it will need honing (or boring) and new rings.

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information