Daytime running light is out
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Daytime running light is out

Hi All-

I have a 2000 Passat sedan. The daytime running light on the driver's side went out. I've seen some threads about this but I'm still a little confused. How do I know what bulb to get, and is there a step-by-step (preferably with pictures) anywhere on line that you know of? I'll call my mechanic & the dealer for estimates, but if I can save a lot by doing it myself and it doesn't take hours it might be worth it. What would be a reasonable parts & labor total for them to quote for this job?

I've also heard that the lights on both sides should be replaced at the same time. How important is this? I'm on a *very* tight budget at the moment, otherwise I'd go ahead without a second thought.

TIA-

-Susan

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    It's a DIY job unless you have money to burn. I'd imagine the dealer would charge you upwards of $50 just to pop the hood, take off a rubber cover and swap out the bulbs. That doesn't include what they'll over charge you for the bulbs.

There is a write up in the InfoBase for 2001.5+ but I'm sure someone here with the older model can chime in.

2nd Gear
    it's super easy, just lif the hood go to the burnt out bulb (drl's are the ones furthest to the outside) take off the rubber thing, remove the clips (you'll know when you look inside) pull out bulb, disconnect the harness, plug new bulb in, insert bulb put clips in and presto chango it's done.

I'd say less than 3 min per bulb if those tiny clips clip in the first time correctly

3rd Gear
    The biggest thing to remember/worry about when doing the bulbs is do not touch the glass with your bare fingers. The oils will cause them to break down after they heat up if you touch them -- then you'll be replacing them all over again in a few weeks (maybe a couple months if you're lucky.)

nm+
    5th Gear
    The DRL is just your low beams.
    As others ahve mentioned, its a very simple job the stealership will charge you up the nose for. I did it in front of my house in ~10min.
    I have an 2002 which has different lights, but i can't imagine its much different.
    I can't find a B5 writeup witrh pics off hand, but I'm sure someone has one.
    However:
    for your car:
    http://www.passatworld.com/forums/ar...p/t-84741.html
    This will help you with airbox removal, however, note that the B5.5 (01.5+) headlights are what are described here. NAny6where where it devates from the above instuctions, follow those above.
    http://home.comcast.net/~slashpub/info.html

needs more cowbell
    if you have your owners manual, i believe there is help in there as well.

i'm pretty sure the bulb is a H7 (i have different lights and can't verify that any longer)

yes it is a good idea to buy the pair of bulbs if you've not replaced either recently. this way they're the same light output.

if you need more info and or pictures post up or PM me. i have a digicam here at work and can take pics of whatever needed.

Neutral
    Excellent -- thanks so much, guys! This is just the kind of advice I was looking for! I'm going to go ahead and tackle it this weekend, and I'll post back if I have any questions (or a success story, with any luck!)

BTW, 99blackmagic:
    if you have your owners manual, i believe there is help in there as well.
    That's what brought me here in the first place -- the manual has a warning about trying to replace the bulbs yourself and recommends taking it to a dealer. [EDIT: It leaves out the "How to do it if you decide to go ahead anyway" part -- there's nothing in the manual that describes the procedure.] I've always replaced my own on other cars in the past without incident, but the Passat manual makes it sound like a very daunting task -- presumably either because they want the dealers to make more money or to avoid legal action should anything go wrong. With all the helpful advice I've gotten here, I'm willing to take the risk!

Thanks, everyone-

-Susan
    Last edited by Susan G; 10-05-2006 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Clarification/expansion

3rd Gear
    http://home.comcast.net/~slashpub/he...lightBulbs.pdf

Your DRL is your lowbeam headlight bulb unless of course your are talking about your "City Light" the 5W wedge bulb.

4th Gear
    For me, the best reason to replace both bulbs is what is known as MTBF.
    Mean Time Between Failure - if one goes, the other side probably isn't far behind.

needs more cowbell
    sorry for directing you to the dumb place that sent you here. glad you made it here.

the replacement of a bulb is not a difficult task.

the linked writeup avove will gain you access to your light housings, inside the engine bay.

once you have access, note that the high beams are the inner bulb on each light assembly, and the low beam/DRL is the outer bulbs. once you locate what bulb type (again, i forget, i don't use the stock setup any longer) the difference begins. but it's only minor-rather than having to turn the bulb, you squeeze a clip to release the bulb from the socket within the housing. swing the clip back and untangle all the wires from the clip and pull the bulb out. (i usually use latex gloves so i don't get oils on the bulbs or crap on my hands)

the bulbs should have tabs on them that help you to seat them properly, and should only fit one way. if you can't get it with the harness attached, try just putting the bulb in first, locking it into place with the clip, then putting the harness plug on.

hope this helps.

needs more cowbell
    quote from above link
    H7 = Low beam + Daytime Running lights
    H4 = High Beam + integrated fogs.

that sounds familiar too.

worst case scenario, take the bulb out @ the parts store or wal mart and take it in with you. the bulbs are distinctly different in the packaging and you should be able to locate the correct ones. do buy a pair even if you don't get to do both sides immediately. (the passenger's side being the PITA)

Neutral
    Hi Folks-

I changed the bulb (H7) pretty easily once I had a friend to help -- it's not so much that it was difficult, but it's a little awkward and hard to see exactly what you're doing, in my experience. I'd call it a job requiring (for me) 3 hands -- two to change the bulb, and one to hold the light so you can see what the heck you're doing! I knew what I was supposed to do, but I couldn't see well enough to do it. It was mostly just awkward, but hey, I can report that it's very do-able yourself!

The only problem I had trying to do it without aid was with the clamp, which literally fell through the cracks. The forum went down just when I wanted to refer to it, of course!

But I'm once again fully illuminated!

Thanks again for all your help.

-Susan

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information