Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Intermittent start failure

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  PZ 
#1 ·
Ok so I turn the key and nothing absolutely nothing happens. I can’t hear even the click of the solenoid. You can try pulling and reinserting the key, taking it out of Park and back, or using Neutral. This may go on for several minutes. Then suddenly it will start normally. This has been going on for the last month and perhaps has been increasing in frequency lately.

This morning, 10/20/14, it seemed like it was never going to start so I called AAA. Using his test equipment found that the battery is good and the connections appear to be un-corroded and solid. Therefore, I think we can ignore the battery as being the source of the problem.

Anyone experience this before? Ideas, thoughts? Thanks!

#3 ·
I had a similar problem, ended up being the connection on the solenoid of the starter was cracked at Terminal 50 (I believe) and would cause intermittent connections. Just looking at it you couldn't tell, wasn't until I pulled wires off to test it and then retightened the nut it just cracked off. So if you've had any work lately that would have someone connecting/disconnecting the starter that's a place to check.

#4 ·
There are many things that will make a starter not start, or key turn and nothing happen at all not even any clicking anywhere. Check out tomvw's DIY, and do/understand all of his tests, you will find out what is wrong.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/b...y-not-cranking-comprehensive-diagnostics.html

My own experience was with the wire from the starter solenoid to the firewall; once it was replaced there were no more problems. Don't chase shadows immediately believe you are sharing one of our own individual horror stories, do it the smart way and follow this DIY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.