Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Shifter removal?

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  2002GLXV6 
#1 ·
My 04 passat was going into limp mode on me latley and I need to remove the shifter to check some connections. How do I remove the components surrounding the shifter. BTW My passat is an automatic with tiptronic just incase there is a diffrence between themanual and auto shifter console area.

#2 ·
It seems unlikely anything in the automatic shift lever could cause the transmission to go into limp mode. But, if you want to check it out, search for (or wait for someone to do it for you) how to remove the lever properly. It's very easy to break if done the wrong way.

#4 ·
Yes, that is the problem I am trying to fix. I thought the range sensor was inside the compartment the shifter was in. Thank you fortelling me this, you just saved me quit a bit of work. If the range sensor does end up being the problem is it a simple job to do. I am an auto student and we are allowed to work on aour cars in the shop I'm in so I will have a lift and shop tools to use. Will that make the job easy?

#5 ·
Actually now that I'm thinking about it my car only seems to have this problem at random. When My momgave me the car my dad and I noticed that it looked loke there was coffie that was spilled on the shifter. The problem fixes itself if I turn the car off, restart it, and run the shifter back and forth a few times and then it goes back to normal. Could it just be that the selanoids, contacts or what ever you want to call that are in the shifter is just gunked up with what was spilled and causing me this problem?

#6 ·
Seems doubtful, as the 706 code is pretty specific to the f125 sensor, but ya never say never, so give it a try.

Here is a link you should read through as well as the three DIY links in this link I think you will find very useful. You will note they also complain about the trans having shifting issues and then finally going into limp mode.
I would start by unplugging the connector to the F125 to check the condition and cleaning with an electronics cleaner. That may buy you some time??

Just finished replacing F125 Transmission Range Neutral Safety Switch. Protips follow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.