Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

AWM shuts off while driving

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Toolkitguy 
#1 ·
today I started my car and it idled roughly, almost shaking. After I started to drive, it just stalled - shut off completely. The ESP light came on and when i try to restart the car it will catch but then die off imediately. I dont believe it to be the battery since it starts for a second. Thoughts? Any help is needed

#3 ·
The check engine light is on when I turn the ignition to on, but it turns off after the engine has started. The problem is I can't tell if It is an actual check engine light since I can't get the motor turned over. And no, I didn't scan for codes. I thought it may be the fuel pump, I don't hear a whine when I turn the ignition on and my ear is against the gas tank cover in the rear passenger side floor behind the seats.

#6 ·
I had this happen to my AEB recently. Was driving fine. Stopped at a light, it idled for a few seconds and then shut down. Restarted and it idled for a few seconds and then felt like it was starving. Feathered it through an intersection and pulled over. I first thought it was the fuel pump also. I went home, got my scanner and returned with lots of parts and tools. The codes indicated an issue with the MAF. Unplugged it and everything ran fine, replaced it with a new unit,..all good.

that was a long winded way of saying I also believe it is the MAF.

remember that on these engines the MAF is simply used for fine tuning and the car will run without...just not optimally. Unplug it and see if it fixes your problem. If it does...that's your problem. Also remember that when you unplug it, your check engine light will stay on. That is normal..

Z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.