Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1.8t auto trans spill

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  PZ 
#1 ·
my tranny was leaking drips of tranny fluid one day and then the next it leaked a LOT! So much so that I'm pretty sure there isn't much tranny fluid left. Vehicle Car Lane Road Road surface
I want to say it is the pan/pan gasket that needs replacing b/c it the fluid is everywhere but it looks like it's coming from above the pan so I'm not sure. I'm just checking to see if anyone has had this problem before. Thanks for any help
Bumper Automotive exterior Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are really lucky, the cooler line connections are where the leak is. You can see this better by moving the coolant reservoir out of the way, and shining a light from above towards the middle of the trans. However, a bunch of fluid being dumped from the transmission area can be a Torque Converter or pump problem. That requires transmission removal to fix.

#7 ·
Above to the front and center (by the engine) is the torque convertor seal. The cooler lines run on either side of the trans but usually don't leak unless they are rusted, damaged or loosened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.