Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Few issues with my new 1.8t

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  snowwilliam 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, have just bought my 2nd B5. It's a 98 1.8t Manual, 200,000kms.
Overall is a very good car after a good day of cleaning. Just have a few issues with how it drives:

1: Seems a bit low on power, I think I'll replace the DV. Have cleaned MAF sensor and throttle body, any other tips?

2: Steering wheel clunks at low speed when moved from side to side, also seems to grab a little when turning at higher speeds, and when going over bumps. Any Ideas?

3. Temp gauge drops when being driven hard..

4. LH Headlight flickers over bumps

That's all for now, thanks

#2 ·
1) It's a rather large car with a 150hp engine. Yeah, it's a bit low on power. Chipping the ECU can make a dramatic difference.
2) Tie Rod Ends. By this point, your car is probably due to have the TRE's and Control Arms replaced.
3) Stuck thermostat.
4) Bulb.

In addition, make sure all the maintenance is up to date. If you don't know the last time the timing belt was changed, change it. It needs to be done every 100k km or so. (Along with the t-belt tensioner, idler, waterpump and accessory belts.)

#5 ·
Your manual should feel quicker than a tip. I have 2 (well 3 but that one's an Audi) AEB powered B5 wagons, one tip and one stick. Tip feels more sluggish for sure.

Try new plugs and air filter, and install a boost gauge. You should get about 7 psi at WOT and idle (no a/c) at about 20"Hg. Deceleration in gear you should pull 22-24"Hg.

If your boost is low, you will need to check the turbo and charge piping. If your vac isn't as strong as it should be, you may have issues with valves or rings, and need a compression/leak-down test.

#6 ·
Steering clunk sounds like it's coming from up around battery area, checked steering rack bolts and they are tight.
Checked out headlight, the whole inner has broken and is just floating around inside the housing, will have to replace the headlight.
Put in a new air filter, will do oil/filter, power steering flush, DV and Spark Plugs this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.