Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Latest issue.. cyl 1,2,and 3 misfires and cam sequence codes. Cam chain tensioner?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Tomvw 
#1 ·
Hey guys.. I've got a Canadian 01 4motion V6 and the CEL started flashing and I have a rough idle and loss of power. I scanned the computer and got codes for misfires in cylinders 1,2,3 and two other codes concerning caqm timing sequence (P1340 and P1347). Is this the dreaded cam chain tensioner? The engine is not the original one but I think it has 13x,xxx on it. This car is killing me. I just spend tons of money fixing the tiptronic and a month later this happens. Anyone have the same issue or know how bad this will be to get fixed? Thanks in advance for any input. :banghead:

#2 ·
Sounds like it jumped time! I would think cam chain tensioner or wear pads On tensioner are gone causing the chain to jump time on the gear. I had this happen on my wife's car,no bent valves. How old is your timing belt that also could have jumped time.if you are going to do work on your own you will need a bentleys repair manual, you will have to pull valve covers and remove timing covers to check to see if everything's in time I bet it's not, you should not run car anymore either so you do not jump time further and bend valves, hopefully it did not do that. If you're mechanically inclined it's not that hard of a job.:thumbup::wrench:

#3 ·
Hey Passatmat.. I think it's got to be the tensioner too... The timing belt was done about 40k ago.. Problem is that I work all the time and this is my only vehicle. I'm going to have to have my local shop fix it and I'm not looking forward to finding out how much it will cost. I'm going to take it there in the morning. I do wish I had the time to do it myself though. :cry:

#4 ·
I understand the working a lot. If the cam chain tensioner wear pads are broken or gone your mechanic will need to drop the lower oil pan to clean out the oil pump pick up tube because more than likely (like mine )all those pieces are stuck in there in the pick up tube screen.good luck hope this helps! if it is the wear pads I would suggest replacing the wear pads on the other Cylinder head before that happens to the other cylinder head:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.