StopTech SS Brake Line Rupture
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    4th Gear

StopTech SS Brake Line Rupture

I just emptied the brake fluid reservoir on the Passat after the front passenger StopTech brake line ruptured. It blew right after the fitting going into the caliper. Luckily I was able to limp to the garage while avoiding the majority of the rush hour traffic. I was worried the clutch would also quit working but didn't have any problem with the transmission.

I'll post pictures later after getting it off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

I break for old people Bdubskii's Avatar
    Yikes, luckily you still maintained breakage and were able to return to the garage safely.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hu vw View Post
    It blew right after the fitting going into the caliper.
    Check that the line length and fitting angle allowed enough slack for the wheel to be fully turned and the suspension to move fully up and down. If there wasn't enough slack, hitting a bump while the wheel was turned hard over could have yanked the line and caused the failure. If this is the case, it could happen on the other caliper too.
    Last edited by Steve in Chicago; 09-02-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    glad nothing else happened to you or the car.

on my Passat, I had to replace the front flexible brake lines - the outer linings wore out so that the inner lining was exposed right at the place you describe. I did it pre-emptively to ensure I wouldn't have happen what did happen to you, hu.

braided lines hide those things... yeah, they look nice, and if you track your car, they help a bit - but when a brake hose fails, it is going to fail regardless if it is braided or not, at the point where the most flexing happens on the line - right at the caliper connection.

4th Gear
    Here are pictures of the line which ruptured on the caliper end:

The below photo is a comparison of the caliper ends of the ruptured passenger side and the driver side which I decided to check:

The following photo shows the condition of the hard line ends of the StopTech brake lines:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Chicago View Post
    Check that the line length and fitting angle allowed enough slack for the wheel to be fully turned and the suspension to move fully up and down.
    Steve, the VW brake lines and the StopTech are the exact same length when compared to each other, 295mm.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTheSnork View Post
    braided lines hide those things... yeah, they look nice, and if you track your car, they help a bit - but when a brake hose fails, it is going to fail regardless if it is braided or not, at the point where the most flexing happens on the line - right at the caliper connection.
    Jay, I originally replaced the VW brake lines with the StopTech only out of curiosity in relation to pedal feel/feedback. After having this failure after only having used the lines for four years, I'll be sticking with VW brake lines.

Considering the circumstances when the rupture happened and the condition of the brake line, it isn't a miracle. The wheels were turned towards the passenger side while exiting a traffic circle and I stomped on the brakes to stop suddenly, possibly triggering the ABS. I'm unsure of the ABS trigger as the line ruptured so suddenly.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information