2001 1.8T Passat --- Engine Coolant Fluid Help!?!?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Exclamation 2001 1.8T Passat --- Engine Coolant Fluid Help!?!?

I recently was low on engine coolant fluid (bought it with red-ish coolant already in it), so of course I put some new stuff in... ended up being the wrong kind. I put the average lime green kind in, and not that specified G12. I drove it home from work after doing that (only 1.5 miles) and now I am planning on not driving it until I get G12 coolant in it. So..

-How important is it to put G12 in?
    -Do I need to flush the old stuff out?
    -If so, how?

-Please help me! I am 18 and I want my car to keep working great!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    The two types of coolant react with each other chemically and form globs of gook that will clog up small passages (heater core & radiator). Your best bet is to thoroughly flush the entire system to get all of the mixed coolant out then refill with the proper mix of water and G12.

here are a couple DIYs for you on flushing. You need to flush several times to make certain you have removed all the contaminated coolant. Be sure to read all of the posts with each DIY and plan out your project. Get Plenty of deionized water for flushing and mixing the replacement G12.

taligentx.com: Passat - Coolant Flush

AWM Coolant Change

Loose female member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002GLXV6 View Post
    Get Plenty of deionized water for flushing and mixing the replacement G12.
    Deioized water is not something you can just pick up at the store.
    Deionized water would be agressive in a cooling system.

I think he means 'distilled' water.. Just used regular tap water to flush the system. Then use the distilled water to mix with the G12 coolant.
    You will be fine.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by V6er View Post
    Deioized water is not something you can just pick up at the store.
    Deionized water would be agressive in a cooling system.

I think he means 'distilled' water.. Just used regular tap water to flush the system. Then use the distilled water to mix with the G12 coolant.
    You will be fine.
    Are you sure the difference would matter much here?

G12 is a fairly high silicate coolant and I gather you end up with a coating of that and whatever other trace elements are in the anti-corrosion package on the exposed metals in the cooling system. I assume the coating is pretty robust because it's part of the anticavitation properties of the coolant, too.

I've got a fair amount of laboratory experience with 18 megohm water and I have never seen it effectively corrode very much over years. I brought it home, drank it out of an espresso machine for at least 10 years and the boiler was pristine when I removed it for maintenance. I'd still qualify that by saying I'm no metallurgist, though.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    I thought G12 was silicate free?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Chicago View Post
    I thought G12 was silicate free?
    My error, you're right: it's not hybrid OAT (like the Mercedes coolant), but pure OAT. The newer VW coolant (2009+) is silicated, but not at high levels.

The basic idea about surface coating remains the same, but the chemistry is different.

Thank you very much.

Loose female member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvariant View Post
    Are you sure the difference would matter much here?

G12 is a fairly high silicate coolant and I gather you end up with a coating of that and whatever other trace elements are in the anti-corrosion package on the exposed metals in the cooling system. I assume the coating is pretty robust because it's part of the anticavitation properties of the coolant, too.

I've got a fair amount of laboratory experience with 18 megohm water and I have never seen it effectively corrode very much over years. I brought it home, drank it out of an espresso machine for at least 10 years and the boiler was pristine when I removed it for maintenance. I'd still qualify that by saying I'm no metallurgist, though.

I'm no chemist either, but we run a few million gallons of di water through our magnets every day. we would never drink the stuff.
    As I understand it di water has the ions removed by some process or another. In our case a large plant process.
    This di water if used in a car would pull ions from the internal surfaces of the cooling system leading to errosion.
    All of our magent cooling pipework is stainless steel to negate this.
    As a matter of fact, the water does strip copper from the magnets as a result we have to run the water through a seperate system to remove the copper
    Can't win with this stuff. But we have to run it at 2.5 Megohm due to the power loads on the magnet coils (42 MW)

We do have one on this forum as a member, maybe he can advise better.

For the non Wolowitz types amongst you.

http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information