Codes: P1423 & P1411 ***HELP***
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Codes: P1423 & P1411 ***HELP***

So far this site has been awesome, all of your suggestions have helped me with all my problems. I started off with about 5/6 codes, now I'm down to the last 2. I have been trying to troubleshoot, and they still keep coming back.
    Any suggestions/tips/help is appreciated.
    Has anyone had these same codes?

P1423: Sec.Air Inj.Sys.,Bank1 Flow too Low

P1411: Sec.Air Inj.Sys.,Bank2 Flow too Flow

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    This is commonly seen as P0411 in a 1.8T, same issue--Secondary Air Injection Pump, or SAIP. It's really a blower; sounds like a vacuum cleaner running, which only happens for 60 seconds (I think) after a cold start (but not immediately after--it waits until the engine starts to warm up).

You'll find lots of threads, but first thing to do is replace the relay, which lives in the ECM box. The relay contacts are somewhat undersized, so they wear out (burn up, get pitted) long before they should. My relay (labeled 373) lasted about 10 years. The 40A fuse for the SAIP is in the ECM box, too. The fuse and the relay are the only things between the battery and the SAIP, so you can pry the cover off the relay and press the contacts together with a screwdriver to test the blower while you're there.

Neutral
    Nice, thanks man, I'll try finding that relay and fuse. just swap those out, clear the codes, and see if they come back (hope not!)

Neutral
    Does anyone know where to find a NEW 373 relay? I can't find them in autozone,acdelco, o'reilly's, etc and the only ones i can find online are used. Where can I get a new one at?

1st Gear
    373 is the specific identifier for this relay, but there are several identical relays in your car. The relay is pretty ordinary-- 12V coil, 40A contact, SPST normally open contact. The only slightly unusual property is the internal resistor across the coil (which is for surge suppression--some people here have used relays without the resistor).

The obvious choice is a VW number 4H0 951 253 A. You local VW/Audi dealer will have one for about $30, or ECS Tuning has them. ECS also has a non-VW relay for a lot less money, which would be my preference Home Page > Search > 40amp Relay > ES#1831766 Multipurpose Relay - Priced Each - 141951253B. The rectangular box in parallel with the coil indicates it has the resistor. (If you're really cheap, they have a Chinese version for under $2...)

Most any auto parts store will have a physically identical "generic" relay that will plug in and work, even though they can't cross the VW number. It probably won't have the resistor, so buyer beware. But don't get one with the internal diode--your ECM doesn't get along with the diode.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information