Lower Steering Column Panel Removal
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Lower Steering Column Panel Removal

I am attempting to install a new ignition switch before this one quits for good, it is getting harder and harder to turn. I have read the DIYs here on Passatworld, but can't get a driver for the screws that hold the lower steering column panel which have been described as phillips head. I tried to get a good look at them after failing to get a phllips to work, I tried the various sizes of Torx head which didn't work. Does anyone know what VW is using to fasten this panel on a 2005 Passat B5.5 1.8T auto?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    If you are talking about the trim on the column it is small phillips head screws.

Neutral
    Well I'll take another look with some magnification, but I couldn't get a small phillips to work and my initial look in there revealed a non-phillips head.

On my 99 the two screws accessed from the bottom of the lower column cover are Philips head screws. They are recessed deep into the plastic cover so you'll need a screwdriver that is long enough to reach. I think there are also two more screws in the "face" of that cover (hidden behind the steering wheel). You need to remove the steering wheel to access these.

Get your head underneath the column cover and look up into those screw holes with a flashlight. See if you can tell what type of driver yous needs. Could be Philips, Torx, Allen or one of the last two with a security post in the center.

Neutral
    I got some of the other screws out which were all phillips, on closer inspection the screw in question was a phillips with a damaged head, barely recognizable as a phillips. I was able to get it loose after some trial and error with a small straight screwdriver that got some purchase in the damaged phillips head. I did not have to remove the steering wheel to access the screws in the "face" of the panel, just need a long #1 phillips head screwdriver as mentioned in one of the DIYs on this site. This is a 2005 Passat, the older models may have required the removal of the steering wheel to access those screws.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information