2002 Passat 2.8 V6 AT - Cyl 1 and Cyl 2 w/ Random Misfires
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2002 Passat 2.8 V6 AT - Cyl 1 and Cyl 2 w/ Random Misfires

Been fighting an issue with my 2002 2.8L V6. Consistently getting loss of power/hesitation when accelerating in low-RPM's <2000. Also when warmed up, my idle is rough and it sounds as if the card may die at times (never does). Finally a Check Engine Light came on and I scanned it with the VAG-COM. Getting random misfires in Cylinder 1 and Cylinder 2.

No other codes.

Any ideas? In reading other posts it sounds like I may need a new ICU/coil pack, although I haven't seen any specific posts pointing to misfires only in Cyl 1/2. Any other thoughts before I start throwing parts at? Is there a reliable test for the ICU?

-Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    spray the coil pack with water at twilight while the car is running - see if there is a light show. if there is, that will tell you if you have bad plug wires or if the coils are breaking down. however, I'd also look into running some techron thru it - clogged fuel injectors on the V6 do occur more often in that motor than the 1.8T.

4th Gear
    Because the 3-coil system on the V6 fires two plugs at once, ignition problems often affect two specific cylinders. Since cylinder 2 and cylinder 4 share the same coil, but you misfire on cyl 1&2, you may indeed have an injector problem instead. I recently had a cylinder 2 misfire on mine, and found that the misfire followed the injector. In this case I installed an entire set of matched, refurbished injectors.

Neutral
    Jay is right, i noticed pulling up steep grades the engine would stumble a bit.... two bottles of techron with tank full of gas fixed the problem

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by uksparky View Post
    Jay is right, i noticed pulling up steep grades the engine would stumble a bit.... two bottles of techron with tank full of gas fixed the problem
    What kind of techron did you use? From what I understand there are several different grades of it. Like the one at Costco isn't as powerful, apparently.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Techron is a trademarked product. I've only seen one kind...

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by passat03wagon View Post
    What kind of techron did you use? From what I understand there are several different grades of it. Like the one at Costco isn't as powerful, apparently.
    Six pack Costco

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information