Passat cranks just fine, but wont start
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Passat cranks just fine, but wont start

2005 VW Passat V6 2.8 cranks just fine, but wont start.

It has had an issue with starting usually after letting it sit for a while (over night or letting it sit at work for 8 hours) but after a few cranks and some times stepping on the gas it has eventually fired up. Recently though it as not started at all even with all the usual tricks.

When i first set out to fix the problem i started with the fuel filter thinking it was that but after it still wouldnt start i hooked a computer up to it. At first it was giving me TWO P0117 (coolant temp sensor circuit low input) codes and a P0102 (mass air flow circuit low input). First i changed the coolant temp sensor and i was left with just one P0102 code. It still cranked, but this time it actually sounded like it wanted to start, it just never did. I swapped out the mass air flow and it still cranks and wont start. That got rid of the mass air flow code, but now a new code has popped up; P0118 engine coolant temperature circuit high input.

I have verified the engine is getting fuel and it has spark and i know the timing belt was recently replaced. I would rather not give my car to the dealer but i am out of ideas on what the problem is. Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    bump?

1st Gear
    Have you tried starting it with the MAF disconnected? If it starts OK, then you know it is probably some sort of sensor issue. If not, then it is likely a fuel/air/spark issue.

1st Gear
    any issues with water intrusion?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by tallngangly View Post
    Have you tried starting it with the MAF disconnected? If it starts OK, then you know it is probably some sort of sensor issue. If not, then it is likely a fuel/air/spark issue.
    yeah, i have tried re-seating the wire harness into the sensor, disconnecting the MAF and finally replacing the MAF with no luck

aside from that, i have disconnected the main fuel line into the engine and turned the key (to the on/power position, not start) to see if the pump was working correctly and it is. i also tested the spark from all three coil packs and it seems to be working.

i friend of mine mentioned that it could be the crank sensor. has anyone heard of crank sensors going bad and causing this issue?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by proffx View Post
    any issues with water intrusion?
    water making its way into the engine you mean? not that i know of...

although aside from white smoke billowing out from under the car how would you know if this is happening?

PZ
    Redline
    Have you pulled and cleaned the plugs? It may be flooded and it will take a lot of cranking to get it to fire afterwards. Cleaning the plugs will usually help it start sooner.

1st Gear
    I'll tag along with this thread to see if there comes up any points that I might have missed, but seems that we are in the same situation. Though I got a 1.8T, but the basic symptom is the same -> cranks nicely but doesn't start.

I've got no codes, though I still need to check them with my VCDS, as the scan was done with a 3rd party sw installed in an Android phone, so can't really be sure that there aren't any. Fuel pump seems ok too as fuel is flowing when trying to start, but wasn't sure on how to check the spark in this car. So advice is welcome, otherwise I won't HJ this thread, but will make my own if I receive no pointers from here.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by eruckus View Post
    i have disconnected the main fuel line into the engine and turned the key (to the on/power position, not start) to see if the pump was working correctly and it is. i also tested the spark from all three coil packs and it seems to be working.

i friend of mine mentioned that it could be the crank sensor. has anyone heard of crank sensors going bad and causing this issue?
    Seeing fuel flow dosen't really prove adequate fuel pressure, but is a start. You should also hear the fuel pressure regulator hissing when the pump is running (engine off) as it limits pump pressure. You also said that you have spark, that would tend to confirm the crank and cam sensors are working OK. As said earlier, pull plugs and check for evidence of fuel. Either too much or not enough will keep the engine from running. You could still have a coolant temp sensor problem; maybe the connector.

Old Man Tan
    coolant temp sensors usually cause hot starting issues, not cold. my guess would be on crank sensor.

pull the plug for that (should be gray 3pin plug on firewall on drivers side), and check resistance between pin 1 &2, should be 730-1000 ohms @ 20 Celsius.
    check for shorts between pins 1 &3 as well, resistance should be infinite.

you can also pull the sensor (on the upper driver's side of the trans bellhousing right next to the block) and clean it off. it is magnetic and can get dirty, skewing it's readings.

Neutral
    i had all the symptoms you described like a month ago and i did all the usual tricks as you said. took it in and it was the ignition switch. $30 on ecstuning.com oem part.

Neutral
    Did this problem get solved? I have a similar problem. Mine is only on a cold start and is fine until it gets cold again and it cranks which leads me to believe it isn't the ignition switch.

Neutral
    Same problem. 98 Passat 1.8T Car starts sometimes in cold weather. Father is changing MAF sensor. Thats what his mechanic says it is. Hopefully it does the trick.
    I replaced the CTS 5 months ago. New fuel pump and filter 3 months ago. And a new Throttle Body too. Any ideas if it doesn't work??
    Car cranks fine, but just doesn't start.

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by French99 View Post
    Same problem. 98 Passat 1.8T Car starts sometimes in cold weather. Father is changing MAF sensor. Thats what his mechanic says it is. Hopefully it does the trick.
    I replaced the CTS 5 months ago. New fuel pump and filter 3 months ago. And a new Throttle Body too. Any ideas if it doesn't work??
    Car cranks fine, but just doesn't start.
    your problem is likely the crank sensor, and not the MAF.

Neutral
    Thanks jay. I'll let you know. Picking it up tomorrow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Neutral
    It's been two days now. So far so good. Thanks for the help

Neutral
    Hey Jay,

what made you think it was the crank sensor on the 1.8T? Is this motor more prone to this? I am having similar problems but with the 2.8 v6 and started my own post but wondered if this is possibly my problem or just more likely to happen in the 1.8T. I am going to assume French's problem was the MAF since there was no post about a changing of the crank sensor. However, the MAF isn't the problem in my case. Also, would the crank sensor cause the fuel pump not to engage when the key is on ACC?

Neutral
    So car wouldn't start today. I'm gonna replace crank sensor. Got it going after a few tries. How much are they? And is it a hard job??

Neutral
    I haven't changed the crank sensor yet. The car didn't start on sat and sun after the storm. Each time was the first try of the day. Got it started after a while. Now it starts fine since. What's up you this?? Confusing.

4th Gear
    This is the reason for using a scan-tool. Intermittent signals will be logged as a fault code, so then you won't just guess, and waste your time and money by throwing parts at the engine.

Neutral
    I have used a scan tool. It said maf sensor. But car had starting issues still. Jay said crank sensor. He fixed my last problem.

1st Gear
    My 1.8t does this every so often. I haven't had any codes, yet. I will try starting with the MAF off...If it doesn't start is it safe to assume the crank sensor?

Neutral
    So it's been over a month now. My car has no issues. So I think it was maf sensor. Thanks

Neutral

Same Thing

Hey Guys,

Got me a 2003 V6. Been running fine for ages. Didn't drive it for 8 days (which is unusual, normally its driven every day or 2), and now it cranks but doesnt start. Curious as to the possible causes, particularly since this isn't a regular thing... just happened over this break.

Cheers

4th Gear
    It would be better to start a new thread with your details, and get it scanned and post the codes.

27. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information