How's everyone feel about G-Oil 5w-30?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1st Gear

How's everyone feel about G-Oil 5w-30?

G-oil high viscosity at 150C - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Green Earth Technologies

Yep that's right, BEEF TALLOW! I'm not one to go too crazy on save-the-earth gimmicks, but I have run biodiesel in my TDIs because it's better for the environment and better for the car. This G-oil seems promising given the good UOAs as well as solid VOA showing HTHS of 3.5cp putting it right up there next to Mobil1 0-40 and GC 0-30 in viscosity. I think I might have to be the guinea pig here, will likely install with my next oil change this weekend ('02 1.8T).

With the $16 rebate that I will hopefully see someday the 5qt jug cost a net $10 ($26 retail), so it's certainly priced right. Not entirely sure (assuming it works out and returns solid UOA) that I would choose to pay the extra $5 over Rotella T6, but maybe I will in the interest of being nice to the planet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    You go first.

4th Gear
    I'll confess that some of the acronyms went over my head, but if you think the oil is OK, go for it. I personally don't fret over motor oil being bad for the planet; fuel use is the biggie. We burn about 200X more oil as fuel than what is used as lubricant, and the lubricant often turns into fuel later anyway, after we change it.

1st Gear
    Oil change complete and engine runs great. Cold morning startup is easier due to lower viscosity. Gas mileage on a longish trip was better than I'm used to so I'll tentatively attribute that to the viscosity as well. I will be running an oil analysis at 3k miles to see if this oil holds up, I have high hopes. (I also took a sample already at 50 miles on the change so I can do a before/after and directly attribute wear metals and shearing, etc, to the oil.)

The acronyms are easily searchable over at BITOG - but the important one here is HTHS. I've only recently started paying attention to this, and HTHS basically means something akin to "dynamic" viscosity. It stands for high-temperature-high-stress and is some measure of viscosity and wear protection at 150* C through a specific ASTM test (if I remember correctly). The 5-30/10-40/0-40 numbers are viscosity measurements at different temperatures through different tests and do not completely explain the oil's behavior. For example, GC 0-30 is heavier than M1 0-40 at most temperatures lower than operating temp, despite it's apparently lighter viscosity rating. The two oils have slightly different HTHS with M1 a bit higher at 3.8 and GC at 3.5, so M1 is a tad bit thicker at operating temp. This G-oil is apparently 3.5 just like GC.

Unfortunately you can't get HTHS from an oil analysis.

Overdrive
    The single most significant factor is if your car is a 1.8T, and still covered by one of the "sludge" settlements. If so, the green goop will void that warranty; if not, go for it!

1st Gear
    No sludge in this car, has had Mobil1 it's whole life. And I disagree that sludge is what people should worry about running a 5-30 synthetic. Any good synthetic will prevent sludge as long as it's not run too long. The thing to worry about is low viscosity oils causing premature engine wear (bearings and cam followers primarily, followed by piston rings, and so on). Everyone should be running a 40wt oil, GC 0-30 and Redline 5-30 being the exceptions, and hopefully this G-oil.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    With the $16 rebate that I will hopefully see someday the 5qt jug cost a net $10 ($26 retail), so it's certainly priced right.
    The current rebate offer, which ends February 26th, is $26. Except for the cost of processing the rebate the oil is "free". Most Wal-Mart locations now carry G-Oil.

1st Gear
    I think that one ended Feb 26th 2011. If you can find that rebate offer currently please do tell.

2nd Gear
    If you can find that rebate offer currently please do tell.
    Green Earth Technologies

1st Gear
    Nice! I'd better go get a jug or two.

2nd Gear
    A resource for finding sales and rebates - Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions - Bob Is The Oil Guy

4th Gear
    I was looking for this oil like three or four years ago when I first found out about it for the wife's Xterra, but since then I've given up hope and just run GC in it. Now it seems everyone is contemplating running this oil. I don't recall seeing it available locally, though I admit I haven't really looked for it either.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by nolesfan View Post
    I don't recall seeing it available locally, though I admit I haven't really looked for it either.
    The only place I've seen it is Wal-Mart. Their selection is limited to quarts and 5-quart jugs of 5W-30 in the black bottle - Green Earth Technologies - Bio-based Advanced Full Synthetic

4th Gear
    IIRC, there is some sort of mix you can pour the used oil into and will be able to dispose of it into the ground. It's supposed to be eco friendly like that since it's made of vegetation, not petroleum. I probably wouldn't do that for the first few drains since there would be some left over petroleum base there, but it seems like a neat solution for the home user. But, taking it to Auto Zone or the like is pretty simple as well.

1st Gear
    As a follow-up so far it's providing great wear protection and is a great oil for my driving situation which includes lots of short trips where the oil doesn't get up to full temp. As a result it has thinned quite a bit, but as many used oil analyses have been showing on BITOG thin hardly ever translates into more engine wear. I will sample again at 1500 miles and if it's holding up this will be my new 5k OCI oil.

G-Oil 5-30, '02 VW Passat 1.8t, 1500miles - Bob Is The Oil Guy

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by nolesfan View Post
    IIRC, there is some sort of mix you can pour the used oil into and will be able to dispose of it into the ground. It's supposed to be eco friendly like that since it's made of vegetation, not petroleum. I probably wouldn't do that for the first few drains since there would be some left over petroleum base there, but it seems like a neat solution for the home user. But, taking it to Auto Zone or the like is pretty simple as well.
    Yes, it's to be disposed of as usual with any other engine oil at a recycling location. There is no "Disposoil" product available currently, sounds like the company gave up on that idea, perhaps with legal ramifications in mind (I emailed them and and they told me as much). It is made of "vegetation" inasmuch as cows eat grass.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboJim View Post
    The only place I've seen it is Wal-Mart. Their selection is limited to quarts and 5-quart jugs of 5W-30 in the black bottle - Green Earth Technologies - Bio-based Advanced Full Synthetic
    Walmarts and Home Depots are supposed to have it. I have to order it online and pick it up in my local Walmart since they don't stock it on the shelves at the moment. There is another free after rebate offer going right now.

And according to their website their lineup is going to expand dramatically with offerings from 5-20 up to 15-40 and range from "conventional" to "advanced synthetic" (the latter is the same as the current 5-30 I think). But I have not heard of anyone actually seeing these new ones on the shelf.

Neutral
    I usually get mobil1 or castrol titanium when its on sale at autozone , 5qts and a knn or mobil 1 filter for -$32, 5-30w.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by el semental View Post
    I usually get mobil1 or castrol titanium when its on sale at autozone , 5qts and a knn or mobil 1 filter for -$32, 5-30w.
    The current G-Oil promotion makes it "free" after rebate. Another FAR from G-oil. - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Neutral
    great, $26 rebate only thing u pay is the oil filter.

2nd Gear
    I recieved this information from G-Oil: "...we are working with VW/Audi to get a whole line of our oil in their hands to get certified in a selection of ratings (502, 504/507, 505 01)."

In about a month (or two) the black bottle product line of oil's (SM rated) sold at Wal-Mart will consist of 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30. Currently they only offer 5W-30.

The SN/GF-5 rated oils (Silver bottle) will not be available at Wal-Mart. They can be purchased via G-Oil's online vendors, Amazon.com, DGPnow.com, and AutoBeGreen.com.

The G-Oil Earth Month Celebration (GT12-8421) rebate has been extended to 5/6/12.

I asked G-Oil if I was eligible for this rebate:
    "The 5 quart rebate was extended to a longer date, but the 1 quart rebate you are welcome to participate in. As long as the GTXX-XXXX numbers are different than a previous rebate you participated in, you are more than welcome to take advantage of."

The current rebate can be found here - http://www.getg.com/GETrebates
    Last edited by TurboJim; 06-11-2012 at 05:25 PM.

1st Gear
    As a follow-up so far it's providing great wear protection and is a great oil for my driving situation which includes lots of short trips where the oil doesn't get up to full temp. As a result it has thinned quite a bit, but as many used oil analyses have been showing on BITOG thin hardly ever translates into more engine wear. I will sample again at 1500 miles and if it's holding up this will be my new 5k OCI oil.

G-Oil 5-30, '02 VW Passat 1.8t, 1500miles - Bob Is The Oil Guy
    3500 mile analysis is excellent, and -despite the low viscosity- wear metals are very low. I like this oil and have a 2 OCI stockpile built up, and soon will add another one with the 4qts for free with rebate offer going on now. Gas mileage has been great, better than on 40wt oils (lots has changed - engine fully tuned up, warmer weather, etc - so not exactly scientific).

4th Gear
    The thing to worry about is low viscosity oils causing premature engine wear (bearings and cam followers primarily, followed by piston rings, and so on). Everyone should be running a 40wt oil, GC 0-30 and Redline 5-30 being the exceptions, and hopefully this G-oil.
    The pros and cons of oil always gets a conversation going, but all I care about is that the engine doesn't wear out before I'm done with it. My 2.8 V6 with 222K miles always has just a 5W-30 standard grade Valvoline, Castrol, etc. I paid special attention to the cams and follower faces when the VCGs were changed, looking for evidence of wear or scoring, because these are highly-loaded, easily observed wear surfaces. They all looked perfectly fine, and this engine also tested 185 PSI per cylinder, and none of the seals leak.

1st Gear
    Sounds like the V6's are quite a bit easier on oil than the 1.8T. Regardless, I would highly recommend this G-Oil for both engines, especially for the price (free after rebate, or at least heavily discounted depending on which offer you happen to get). I probably would not use it without the rebate offers though as my first choice would likely be Rotella T6 for $21/gal at Walmart which I would think is a 8k mile oil in a 1.8T.

4th Gear
    my first choice would likely be Rotella T6 for $21/gal at Walmart which I would think is a 8k mile oil in a 1.8T.
    Isn't Rotella T6 a diesel engine oil? I'd check on that before using in your 1.8T, as I've read that there are additives in some diesel oils that can harm catalytic converters.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ylwagon View Post
    ...I've read that there are additives in some diesel oils that can harm catalytic converters.
    Most any diesel oil you'd find at auto parts store will be spec'd for both gas and diesel applications.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboJim View Post
    Most any diesel oil you'd find at auto parts store will be spec'd for both gas and diesel applications.
    Exactly. The reason for wanting to use Rotella T6 is that most diesel oils have much higher TBN than gasoline rated oils so you can go longer on an oil change. Current diesel oils will have a "CJ" API rating and current gasoline oils will have "SM" or "SN" rating, as long as your oil has one of the S ratings it's ok for use in a gasoline engine. Rotella T6 is CJ/SN.

As far as fouling a catalytic converter, it's true diesel oil will lead to a slightly higher chance of that happening because of some extra zinc which is an anti-wear additive. But if your engine does not consume any oil then this is not an issue, plus if you use extended drains it evens out anyway. Conclusion: I would advise not using a diesel oil in an oil burner.

1st Gear
    Passat 1.8T G-Oil UOA history - Bob Is The Oil Guy

G-Oil had done really well in my 1.8T. I highly recommend it as a great 5k OCI oil for both 1.8T and V6 engines. It has high ester content which is good for seals, high polarity so it dissolves buildup crud, and has a very low noack volatility so it doesn't burn off, all of which point to excellent properties for high mileage engines. Plus, the company has been very reliable with the rebate offers, though it takes ~2months to get your check in the mail.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    The two things that come to mind about running this in a 1.8t are the viscosity and how it handles the heat and abuse of the turbo and small oil capacity.

Something-W/40 won't get as thin when heated to operating temps as a something-W/30 will.

After shutdown, stagnant oil in the turbo gets subjected to some intense temperatures. The oil capacity of this engine isn't as large as it should be so what oil it does have in it gets worked pretty hard. Those two factors contribute to how sludge prone this engine is. VW has redesigned the PCV system several times. I'm guessing this was done to get better crankcase ventilation to help with the sludge problem.

2nd Gear
    G-Oil 5W-30 sold at Walmart exceeds some of the GF-5 oil standards - New G-oil 5qt jugs - Bob Is The Oil Guy

VOA on G-Oil's latest formulation - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...77#Post2740477
    Last edited by TurboJim; 09-11-2012 at 09:29 AM.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information